belly pan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: belly pan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

belly pan

Well I hear some good arguments as to why you might want one. Hard to think about one when I don't seem to have a problem. I worry that essentially lowering the bottom of my bike might increase the possibility of scrapping/dragging. I do know I would want black. I do know that I don't want it to scrap in a turn, the pegs already do that early enough. I do know I want to be able to change oil with ease. I do know I do not like that industrial looking diamond plate skid plate. So many to choose from, I like small and tight fitting. Which one does not make contact when leaning and is mounted close to the bottom of the block?
    Attachment 25246

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Well I hear some good arguments as to why you might want one. Hard to think about one when I don't seem to have a problem. I worry that essentially lowering the bottom of my bike might increase the possibility of scrapping/dragging. I do know I would want black. I do know that I don't want it to scrap in a turn, the pegs already do that early enough. I do know I want to be able to change oil with ease. I do know I do not like that industrial looking diamond plate skid plate. So many to choose from, I like small and tight fitting. Which one does not make contact when leaning and is mounted close to the bottom of the block?
    Attachment 25246
    This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
    As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also).

Thank you for your reply and I'm glad you like the MacGyver but as I said it is out as a choice for me. I do not understand what you mean by quote "(and yes that applies to your on imagination also). I see a Performance Black Vented Belly Pan for 89.99 or the Black Anodized Belly Pan for 54 something that looks to be close and well hidden but one review said it made contact in a curve. Decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
    As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also).
    I was under the impression they all use the mount tabs on the headers. If the McGyver does as well, I believe it has been noted here by many that the headers are not good way to support the weight of the 6. Phantom had one planned that will I think. I have been holding out for that one.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    +1 the MacGyver IMHO is the only one worth using as it will hold up and give better protection then the other lighter metal pans offered.I know this as my first pan was beat to s**t after a year the MacGuyver has been on for two years now and looks great.

I hear ya guys who like the MacG. But it is not a consideration in my choices. It is personal, I do not like the looks of the diamond plate. Can't be talked into it but I'm happy you are happy with your pan. Now back to the Performance Series Louvered Black Powdercoated 2-piece. Yep that may the one for me. Wish I had a K to drop I would get the Heli Bars also.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I hear ya guys who like the MacG. But it is not a consideration in my choices. It is personal, I do not like the looks of the diamond plate. Can't be talked into it but I'm happy you are happy with your pan. Now back to the Performance Series Louvered Black Powdercoated 2-piece. Yep that may the one for me. Wish I had a K to drop I would get the Heli Bars also.
    Understood. Of course I don't really see mine except laying on the ground or from pictures of me cornering.1334053.jpg
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Ok, so I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a belly pan too.
    I have no issues with Diamond Plate, but I do want Black, and it seems a shame to paint over that nicely polished plate.
    On the other hand, I am very concerned (as others have stated in their reviews) about heat.
    The stainless (and already black steel) pans have the louvers in them and look as though they at least have some concern for heat dissipation.
    Whereas the MacGyver appears to have no consideration for any heat buildup or lack of airflow under their pan.

Anybody want to give an opinion here?

Thanx in advance,
    Jim

An experiment....

With a water cooled engine, heat build up down there isn't allegedly a factor.

Since my belly pan is off and I have one of those laser point temp/heat reader thingys (Harbor Freight, $20), I'll take a few days of data on different points on the underside.
    When I get a bellypan, I'll do the same.
    I'll have to use points I can see with the bellypan installed to create a similar data set.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    With a water cooled engine, heat build up down there isn't allegedly a factor.

Since my belly pan is off and I have one of those laser point temp/heat reader thingys (Harbor Freight, $20), I'll take a few days of data on different points on the underside.
    When I get a bellypan, I'll do the same.
    I'll have to use points I can see with the bellypan installed to create a similar data set.

Cheers,
    Steve
    This is great.
    I look forward to your results.
    Thanx,
    Jim