belly pan - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: belly pan

I have the MacGyver on mine. Some pretty spirited rides during last year's Rally left it like this.20160923_093701.jpg

I chose the MacGyver because it is thicker material than those made by Show Chrome or Big Bike. One comparison sidea by side and the others just seem flimsy.
    Mine mounted, is snug up to the bottom of the engine. I've used it in lifting the bike once,just to see. The weight of the bike ,in my case was on the engine mainly. The belly pan just gave a broader more even surface to lift on. The pan could always be painted. JMTCW
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

My experience with the belly pan....

I'm a huge proponent of the belly pan.
    Things I've hit, run over, the scratches and wear on the sides where I've leaned over, all tell me it's a "good thing" to have on the bike.

I'll offer this as I just discovered it when I changed my oil...
    Background: I have the same black pan with the circle cutouts that Sorcerer had, and also like JimmyT, some very spirited rides have left some serious scratches on it.
    Yes, the front access cover nuts were stripped, just like Sorcerer's.

So when I change my oil I just loosen the 4 acorn nuts and drop the whole pan.
    Lets me clean out any debris and give a good look-see at what's happening under there.
    This last time, I was missing an acorn nut head.
    Not the bolt - it was still securely in its hole, no rust had formed...
    I rolled over a speed bump about a week ago - I know which one exactly - and the belly pan hit.
    I'm guessing the impact sheared the head off the bolt.
    One comment I recall - I think it was Big Larry - cautioned the use of the McGyver pan as a lift point as the acorn nuts are not designed to take on lateral loads.
    Obviously, an "impact" vs. gradual pressure is a key factor.

So my pan is off and I discarded it due to the way it had become bent, discolored by heat, and generally just beat up looking.
    I'm mounting another one after I disinf*ckulate my acorn bolt and I'm leaning towards Sorcerer's second pan as well with the aircraft fittings.

Just sharing my experience.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Is this the one everybody is talking about:

http://wingstuff.com/products/37566-..._new_year_sale

Jim

That is the one I'm leaning toward.

Looks just like the SS version but steel and black instead.

Just a note. My 13 pan had the slots going up from the edge of the pan. The 14 as shown in the link have them running with the length of the pan. I had 1 slot that I had to use a carbide bit in my dremmel to open it up to get it over the stud. Being as it was the last one to go on and I didn't want to pull the pan to see if there were another combo I just removed enough to clear the stud. I didn't want to have to by the pan stretcher.😜

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
    As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also).
    +1 the MacGyver IMHO is the only one worth using as it will hold up and give better protection then the other lighter metal pans offered.I know this as my first pan was beat to s**t after a year the MacGuyver has been on for two years now and looks great.

I hear ya guys who like the MacG. But it is not a consideration in my choices. It is personal, I do not like the looks of the diamond plate. Can't be talked into it but I'm happy you are happy with your pan. Now back to the Performance Series Louvered Black Powdercoated 2-piece. Yep that may the one for me. Wish I had a K to drop I would get the Heli Bars also.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I hear ya guys who like the MacG. But it is not a consideration in my choices. It is personal, I do not like the looks of the diamond plate. Can't be talked into it but I'm happy you are happy with your pan. Now back to the Performance Series Louvered Black Powdercoated 2-piece. Yep that may the one for me. Wish I had a K to drop I would get the Heli Bars also.
    Understood. Of course I don't really see mine except laying on the ground or from pictures of me cornering.1334053.jpg
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Ok, so I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a belly pan too.
    I have no issues with Diamond Plate, but I do want Black, and it seems a shame to paint over that nicely polished plate.
    On the other hand, I am very concerned (as others have stated in their reviews) about heat.
    The stainless (and already black steel) pans have the louvers in them and look as though they at least have some concern for heat dissipation.
    Whereas the MacGyver appears to have no consideration for any heat buildup or lack of airflow under their pan.

Anybody want to give an opinion here?

Thanx in advance,
    Jim