45 mpg now common....thanks to...Mobil 1?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 mpg now common....thanks to...Mobil 1?

45 mpg now common....thanks to...Mobil 1?

I haven't ridden a lot this year...just under 700 miles, in fact. However, I have noticed that I am regularly getting 44-45 mpg now, when last year I was getting a steady 43 mpg. The weather hasn't exactly been warm here, either.

Perhaps I am riding a bit differently, I dunno...seems as though I am actually revving the flat-6 a little higher than in the past in between gears...perhaps that is actually making the bike a little more efficient?

The only other factor is that I switched to Mobil 1 oil late last year for my annual oil change. I didn't ride it all that much following that oil change, and the weather was colder, so perhaps those two factors made it so I didn't notice an uptick in engine efficiency at that time.

How could synthetic make THAT much difference...I know it supposed to increase mileage, but I figured it is the tenths and hundredths place, not the ones place.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Increase in Mileage

The reduction of friction in the engine will make it more energy efficient. Two miles per gallon increase is approx. a 4-5% increase. That's a pretty good improvement. It may also be due to the cooler temps. Colder air is denser and therefore has more "energy" in it. It allows for a denser charge of air into the air/fuel mix. Keep us posted if your mileage maintains this improvement when the weather gets hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I haven't ridden a lot this year...just under 700 miles, in fact. However, I have noticed that I am regularly getting 44-45 mpg now, when last year I was getting a steady 43 mpg. The weather hasn't exactly been warm here, either.

Perhaps I am riding a bit differently, I dunno...seems as though I am actually revving the flat-6 a little higher than in the past in between gears...perhaps that is actually making the bike a little more efficient?

The only other factor is that I switched to Mobil 1 oil late last year for my annual oil change. I didn't ride it all that much following that oil change, and the weather was colder, so perhaps those two factors made it so I didn't notice an uptick in engine efficiency at that time.

How could synthetic make THAT much difference...I know it supposed to increase mileage, but I figured it is the tenths and hundredths place, not the ones place.
    Why are you concerned about a couple miles per gallon on a motorcycle my friend??..Bikes are meant to be ridden and to enjoy their performance and power!!!.....If your worried about fuel mileage buy something besides a motorcycle....JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Why are you concerned about a couple miles per gallon on a motorcycle my friend??..Bikes are meant to be ridden and to enjoy their performance and power!!!.....If your worried about fuel mileage buy something besides a motorcycle....JMHO
    Not concerned...curious! I am a numbers and details guy.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Same here. I like to check my mileage every once in a while just to see if things are operating on a consistent plane. I don't have OCD about it, just keeping track of things.

I guess that is what makes the world go round!!..We all have our little idiosyncrasy's I suppose...I doubt your small mileage change has anything much to do with the type of oil although. Ride safe

I find increased mpg because of a product interesting VStarRider....I've seen it happen before. I've also seen slight bumps in hp because of oil used. Actually, colder temps require more fuel at same altitude to maintain correct air/fuel ratio. When it warms up you should get even better mpg. Thanks for posting your findings.

I don't buy the oil connection. I've used GN4 10-40 100%, 25,000 miles as of Thursday, and I average 45-47 or so, and have topped out over 50. It's how you want to ride. I don't ride to save gas, it's how I ride. It's hard not to do some math on each fill up though.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I get 35 to 40 on average with with synthetic oil and the same with dino. It amazes me the claims of + 40 mpg. Only times I've gotten better mileage was going downhill or with a tailwind. I'm only 175 lbs too.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    I get 35 to 40 on average with with synthetic oil and the same with dino. It amazes me the claims of + 40 mpg. Only times I've gotten better mileage was going downhill or with a tailwind. I'm only 175 lbs too.
    X2

I must of gotten a thirsty Pig of an Engine. My average has been 34-39 lately. I do need to check the air filter to see if there is any major debris in the box like a rats nest, this will definitely impact fuel mileage if the engine can't breathe properly.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.