Audio enhancement perma-grin style - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Audio enhancement perma-grin style

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Oh, you didn't ask for how he had it configured - you just asked which amp he was using.

He has this amp in bridge, each driver driven independently.
    So, assuming 4 Ohm nominal load, 130W per driver.

Cheers,
    Steve
    No I asked how much RMS wattage he was running to the speakers...
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I have been pretty happy with the output of the MVX amp. It pumps out a healthy amount of juice and has been doing so for over 2 years now. It's been powering the Polks which are 2.7 nominal impedance and the JL Audio Sub. Just was trying to remember what Robert was pushing the Hertz with. Contemplating making a change to the Hertz , but they are 4 ohm. Believe I should be just fine though. Contemplated running the NVX bridged to the Hertz and a different amp for the sub, but that would probably not be needed.

For some reason I was thinking that someone had been able to fit the 6.5 Hertz speakers in. I have the Polk 6.5" component speakers but the magnets on the woofers have Neodymium magnets so there is more room for them.
    Thanks, I know which amp he is using , but that amp can be used in different configurations. I was trying to remember what configuration. I am pretty sure he was running the woofers and tweeters separately. I am toying with changing speakers to the Hertz. The Audison does look impressive. Don't think I'm there yet. If I was using the stock head unit, it might be different.
    No I asked how much RMS wattage he was running to the speakers...
    Lol. What, What, and How Much.
    You're killing me!
    You win!

Cheers,
    Steve

I need to go check on my headlamp moisture levels...
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

So which ones do you have? The 163 ?
    I wound up with two sets, the HSK130 and the HSK165. I used the HSK130 with the 5.25". I used the tweeters from the HSK165 due to "installer error" and still have the crossovers and 6.5" speakers on the shelf.

Tried posting this three times. Here is the short version: get an amp with a DSP to really get the most out of these speakers. I was running bi-amp 130W RMS @12v to each speaker (left woofer, left tweeter, right woofer, right tweeter.) According to the specs, if you bypass the limiter, you can technically get 170W RMS @ 14.4v per channel but at 10x the THD.

output 1+ & 2- went to the left tweeter, output 3+ and 4- to left woofer. output 5+& 6- to right tweeter, output 7+ and 8- to right woofer.

If you get an amp with DSP, you can skip installing the two crossovers and you get the benefit of each speaker get's its own power. When the kick drum/bass hits, your tweeters can still use full power for the cymbals & that female voice's sexy breathy sounds. If you use a standard two channel amp, it's like you are taking a shower and someone flushes the toilet. The water pressure drops, and you can't wash the soap out of your hair, and the temperature difference is like the crispness of the highs being washed out. That is not 100% accurate but gets the point across. It's a couple hundred more, but it's so worth it. Ask any professional sound installer/ sound engineer. Ask them if they want to run two-way passive or two-way active. Any sound engineers in here who can back me? preferably one who heard my system (that wasn't even dialed in completely.)

Attachment 25248Attachment 25249Attachment 25250Attachment 25251

Some options. Note: I have no experience or opinion of anything but the Audison. Audison is at the same level as these Hertz speakers - competition level. The others, your mileage may vary. Spend the extra couple hundred over the Arc and gain SO much more control, accuracy, etc. For example, I have a controller with two settings, one for when my bike is parked (maximum performance) and one for when I am riding (not as accurate, less bass but more power for volume.)
    Audison 8.9
    Audison 4.9 (half the power, same DSP)
    Match PP82DSP
    AudioControl DM-810 (DSP only, no amp Audison makes an alternative as well. This could be added to a 4-channel power amp to give similar capability)

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Tried posting this three times. Here is the short version: get an amp with a DSP to really get the most out of these speakers. I was running bi-amp 130W RMS @12v to each speaker (left woofer, left tweeter, right woofer, right tweeter.) According to the specs, if you bypass the limiter, you can technically get 170W RMS @ 14.4v per channel but at 10x the THD.

output 1+ & 2- went to the left tweeter, output 3+ and 4- to left woofer. output 5+& 6- to right tweeter, output 7+ and 8- to right woofer.

If you get an amp with DSP, you can skip installing the two crossovers and you get the benefit of each speaker get's its own power. When the kick drum/bass hits, your tweeters can still use full power for the cymbals & that female voice's sexy breathy sounds. If you use a standard two channel amp, it's like you are taking a shower and someone flushes the toilet. The water pressure drops, and you can't wash the soap out of your hair, and the temperature difference is like the crispness of the highs being washed out. That is not 100% accurate but gets the point across. It's a couple hundred more, but it's so worth it. Ask any professional sound installer/ sound engineer. Ask them if they want to run two-way passive or two-way active. Any sound engineers in here who can back me? preferably one who heard my system (that wasn't even dialed in completely.)

Attachment 25248Attachment 25249Attachment 25250Attachment 25251

Some options. Note: I have no experience or opinion of anything but the Audison. Audison is at the same level as these Hertz speakers - competition level. The others, your mileage may vary. Spend the extra couple hundred over the Arc and gain SO much more control, accuracy, etc. For example, I have a controller with two settings, one for when my bike is parked (maximum performance) and one for when I am riding (not as accurate, less bass but more power for volume.)
    Audison 8.9
    Audison 4.9 (half the power, same DSP)
    Match PP82DSP
    AudioControl DM-810 (DSP only, no amp Audison makes an alternative as well. This could be added to a 4-channel power amp to give similar capability)
    I think if you ask anyone who has heard my system, including you, it's not really lacking. There were some audible differences. If I were to describe it I would say yours had a little richer sound, but I certainly wouldn't say it was a glaring difference.
    I understand where you are on the Audison and it seems to be an awesome tool and piece. No argument there. Remember, however, you're dealing with a different set up with the source. I'd argue that you have more to compensate for with the OEM "head" unit as the source.

Typically, most audio enthusiasts would find little argument in that one of the biggest things to affect sound reproduction is the component at the end of the chain. The component that has to convert electrical signals into the sound waves we hear. That's why I'm considering changing speakers. Who knows, I may look into DSP in the future, but right now it's kind of hard to justify the expense. I even found myself going over to my bike and jamming a bit on the stereo trying to find fault to justify replacing the speakers. It would help if one of them would just blow.

I am also looking at another possible change, but I'll keep that under my hat for now.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    I wound up with two sets, the HSK130 and the HSK165. I used the HSK130 with the 5.25". I used the tweeters from the HSK165 due to "installer error" and still have the crossovers and 6.5" speakers on the shelf.
    Where did you end up buying your HSK130s ? Been looking online prices vary from $350 to $599. The $349 price was an ebay source.

I purchased mine through Amazon. Here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/HSK-HI-ENERGY...ywords=hsk+130

Jimmy, wasn't directed at you. My professional opinion was for someone who hasn't bought an amp, and who also may not want to give up room for a subwoofer.

The reality is if someone wants to keep their factory controls for audio, they need the dsp to make up for the what you solved with a alternate head unit. Agreed? You can make it sound great without, as proven above, not absolute.

I measured 130+ db at my speakers without noticeable distortion. I would put a major prize bet that can't be done without active setup.

Ok, I misunderstood then.

I don't remember exactly what the db measurement was. I did it a while back. I also did comparative db measurements with the original speakers and system and after the amp and speakers were changed. This was when I was still using the factory head unit. What I remember was how dramatic the difference was.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    I don't think you can get the Hertz 6.5 in the stock location. The limiting factors are the baskets and magnets. I have a pair that I was going to attempt installing and they are huge.
    Just wondering if you thought raising the speaker with a spacer say 3/4" or so would be enough to get the speaker in there?