belly pan
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: belly pan

belly pan

Well I hear some good arguments as to why you might want one. Hard to think about one when I don't seem to have a problem. I worry that essentially lowering the bottom of my bike might increase the possibility of scrapping/dragging. I do know I would want black. I do know that I don't want it to scrap in a turn, the pegs already do that early enough. I do know I want to be able to change oil with ease. I do know I do not like that industrial looking diamond plate skid plate. So many to choose from, I like small and tight fitting. Which one does not make contact when leaning and is mounted close to the bottom of the block?
    Attachment 25246

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Well I hear some good arguments as to why you might want one. Hard to think about one when I don't seem to have a problem. I worry that essentially lowering the bottom of my bike might increase the possibility of scrapping/dragging. I do know I would want black. I do know that I don't want it to scrap in a turn, the pegs already do that early enough. I do know I want to be able to change oil with ease. I do know I do not like that industrial looking diamond plate skid plate. So many to choose from, I like small and tight fitting. Which one does not make contact when leaning and is mounted close to the bottom of the block?
    Attachment 25246
    This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
    As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also).

I have a black belly pan from Big Bike. I have scraped the bottom 2 or 3 times usually on a steep driveway I don't think I would have hit anything if it wasn't there. But who knows.
    I thought it was good idea to protect the bottom of the bike.
    As far as changing oil it's easy to take the cover off and on. My friend keeps his off.
    I don't think it would hit when you are leaning but I haven't scraped my pegs yet.

Thank you for your reply and I'm glad you like the MacGyver but as I said it is out as a choice for me. I do not understand what you mean by quote "(and yes that applies to your on imagination also). I see a Performance Black Vented Belly Pan for 89.99 or the Black Anodized Belly Pan for 54 something that looks to be close and well hidden but one review said it made contact in a curve. Decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I have a black belly pan from Big Bike. I have scraped the bottom 2 or 3 times usually on a steep driveway I don't think I would have hit anything if it wasn't there. But who knows.
    I thought it was good idea to protect the bottom of the bike.
    As far as changing oil it's easy to take the cover off and on. My friend keeps his off.
    I don't think it would hit when you are leaning but I haven't scraped my pegs yet.
    Yes that is one I'm looking at, the Show Chrome black one. Thanks for your reply. Mike

I have read that Show Chrome and Big Bike were the one in the same or at least provided the same items. They do look identical in the pictures I've found. I also like the Tulsa but would have to keep it painted.

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    This not what you want to hear but I like the MacGyver. For me it mounts as close as the other ones and it is Tuff and easy to change oil/filter. Don't know if it comes in black, but guess you could paint it. I bought mine in order to lift the motorcycle for maintenance, etc.
    As far as scraping in a turn, I have not clue. Wife does not like me doing wild stuff at our age (and yes that applies to your on imagination also).
    I was under the impression they all use the mount tabs on the headers. If the McGyver does as well, I believe it has been noted here by many that the headers are not good way to support the weight of the 6. Phantom had one planned that will I think. I have been holding out for that one.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

On my 13 I put the black Show Chrome with the round vent holes. Yes it scraped, followed shortly by heat shields and the front crash bars. On my 14 I went with the louvered stainless and painted it black. Why did I go with a different pan you my ask. The one on my 13 was aluminum and used very small hex head screws to hold the front part in place. The small steel hex head screw was easly stripped. Steel and aluminum don't play well with each other. The stainless pan uses 1/4 turn aircraft fasteners. As for scraping. When I get to the edge of the belly pan I am also getting to the heat shields. If your going to go with out a pan I would put something more than the aluminum duc tape that Honda put on the overflow tank. Lastly when I installed both pans there was not more than a 1/16" from the engine block.

Big Bike Parts i

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I have read that Show Chrome and Big Bike were the one in the same or at least provided the same items. They do look identical in the pictures I've found. I also like the Tulsa but would have to keep it painted.
    Big Bike Parts is the company. Show Chrome, Hopnel, Ultra Guard are the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    On my 13 I put the black Show Chrome with the round vent holes. Yes it scraped, followed shortly by heat shields and the front crash bars. On my 14 I went with the louvered stainless and painted it black. Why did I go with a different pan you my ask. The one on my 13 was aluminum and used very small hex head screws to hold the front part in place. The small steel hex head screw was easly stripped. Steel and aluminum don't play well with each other. The stainless pan uses 1/4 turn aircraft fasteners. As for scraping. When I get to the edge of the belly pan I am also getting to the heat shields. If your going to go with out a pan I would put something more than the aluminum duc tape that Honda put on the overflow tank. Lastly when I installed both pans there was not more than a 1/16" from the engine block.
    That is some good info right there. So now I'm off the Show Chrome/ Big Bike pan. I see a steel pan in black by the same company, "Performance" as the vented SS and the write up is the same for both. SS is 89.99 and the black steel is 79.99. Now favoring the black steel. Anyone had bad results from Performance products?