f6b fork brace - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: f6b fork brace

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    A non adjustable Fork Brace may do more harm than good "IF" it is not correct. You want the forks braced in the middle as to not allow flex but the forks need to be aligned properly when braced.

IF a non adjustable Fork Brace either pulls the forks together or pushes them apart even a slight bit it will create stiction (the friction that tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion.)

This makes me think I need to leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    My SuperBrace was initially mounted incorrectly (by me).
    It was VERY obvious immediately that I had done something wrong.
    So back on the lift, everything loosened up and retightened more carefully.

MUCH better.

Mike - I have a spare SuperBrace if you'd like to try it.
    I have promised it to someone else, but that won't be for awhile.
    Let me know.
    Steve

That is a great offer and I'll take you up on it. I'm changing out my front tire in the next couple of weeks so will get it from you before then. Lets do lunch soon and ride the Snails Tail by the airport again.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    My SuperBrace was initially mounted incorrectly (by me).
    It was VERY obvious immediately that I had done something wrong.
    So back on the lift, everything loosened up and retightened more carefully.

MUCH better.
    +1
    I found myself in a similar situation with my initial install of a SuperBrace... a little bit of binding (stiction ). Felt it right away. (Wasn't a surprise because I don't seem able to get anything done right the first time.) But a quick removal and reinstall took care of that. Now the ride is much mo better.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    That is a great offer and I'll take you up on it. I'm changing out my front tire in the next couple of weeks so will get it from you before then. Lets do lunch soon and ride the Snails Tail by the airport again.
    I'm teaching at HD PCola today 1600-2100, Sat & Sun 07-1400.
    I'll have the brace with me if you want it sooner than later.
    Out of town all next mid-week/weekend.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Fork brace vs no fork brace

Picture yourself standing on a 3 foot ladder that has two cross-braces: one at the bottom (axle), one at the top (triple-tree). You have at least 1/2 of 1050+/- lbs being applied to the side rails of the ladder while you are twisting, turning, and throwing a LOT of side-load and tortion into the ladder, at times the full + considerable inertia.

Instability? You bet. Turn the wrong way, and the ladder buckles.

That is exaggerated to make the point, but even 45-47 mm of steel tube flexes in the middle of the (non-braced) space when you add the inertia of the weight being forced (through the guy on top of the ladder) to the side-rails (tubes). How could bracing that flex point NOT improve the rigidity of the 'ladder'. Any added bracing in that space will help. They learned that with the stock GL1100, and added a 'brace'.

Other than dead-straight-on-the-road riding, having that 'flex-point' point braced will absolutely affect the rigidity of the unit, hence affect the handling characteristics and the 'feel'. The upsides are obvious.

Downsides of stiffening the front end by added bracing? Tire-wear & wheel bearings: probably hard to measure, but my gut tells me they will reduce in lifespan: there's lessened tube-flex to act as a shock-absorber for a relatively infinitesimal amount of the forces creating the wear. Hmmm. Is that really a downside? 45100 miles on bearings instead of 45050..?

Which brace? Any brace is better than none. Get the best stiffness at the best weight. Get the best brace you can find.

Ride safe.

Helibar and/or Brace?

I've only had my 2014 F6B for a couple of weeks. I'm definitely going to put on Helibars (I have a short reach and like the adjustments it will give me).
    Would that eliminate the need for a brace, or would a brace still make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
    I've only had my 2014 F6B for a couple of weeks. I'm definitely going to put on Helibars (I have a short reach and like the adjustments it will give me).
    Would that eliminate the need for a brace, or would a brace still make a difference?
    It will stiffen your handlebars. But it will not stiffen the lower forks. The fork flex occurs below the triple tree.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
    +1 for Willtill's comment above. The HeliBars do tighten up the handlebars and make the bike more comfortable... but they don't address the fork flex as a brace does.

I recently installed HeliBars, and had read (or mis-read) others comments that they didn't feel the need for a fork brace anymore, and so left my SB off. After reconsidering the geometry of the steering stuff, I reinstalled the SB, and I'm glad I did. The brace does still make a difference, imho.

Ride safe!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"