Seat upgrade?

Thread: Seat upgrade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Something to consider is to bring your stock seat to a custom upholstery shop and have them rework it to fit you perfectly.

Thanks

Thanks all for the great advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
    Thanks all for the great advice. It's greatly appreciated.
    If you come to the rally in Pigeon Forge you will be able to sit on all different makes and models of seats and find the one that suits you best.

Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!
    Had the Mustang seat on my bike for 3 years now and it seems to get better with age and wear-in.....Kind of like me at 77 years old....(Ha)...Ride safe

Question Mustang Seat - Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss

Quote Originally Posted by Usswl View Post
    I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss
    The seat is a b!tch to put on the first time. After a few months of settling, it goes off and on easily.

My saddlebag levers did used to stick, but are better now.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower skirting of my Mustang seat so that I could get the side panels off. They are still difficult to put back on, especially the top right grommet of the left side panel. Some say that they can get their panels off and back on with an unmolested Mustang seat - I don't know how they do it.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    The seat is a b!tch to put on the first time. After a few months of settling, it goes off and on easily.

My saddlebag levers did used to stick, but are better now.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower skirting of my Mustang seat so that I could get the side panels off. They are still difficult to put back on, especially the top right grommet of the left side panel. Some say that they can get their panels off and back on with an unmolested Mustang seat - I don't know how they do it.
    That's my concern. I don't want to drop that kinda money to then have to use work around in the future.

Pity, I've always loved my Mustang Seats on other bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Usswl View Post

Thank you!

Uss
    I've been using my Mustang deluxe for 3 years now the only complaint I have is you can't get a back rest for it. On long rides over 400 miles you will miss not being able to lay back on it. The nice little up turn does not support your lower back, only your butt.
    I have not experienced any of the other difficulties you mentioned. Yes, you will have to remove the seat to get clear access to the battery, but that's not really that big of a deal. Your not going to do it that often and once you've done it once or three times it becomes easy. I never even bought the longer bolts that some advocate. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to reinstall the seat. You'll find a piece of string will help alien the lever pins with the holes makes it a lot easier and alleviates the return problem you mentioned if done properly.
    The other thing I would recommend is you consider installing one of the handlebar kits (Kury. makes one for about $80) to move the bars closer to you and allows you to adjust them up or down for your comfort. This way your riding in a more relaxed upright position and not reaching forward so much. Remember the seat does move you back almost 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I've been using my Mustang deluxe for 3 years now the only complaint I have is you can't get a back rest for it. On long rides over 400 miles you will miss not being able to lay back on it. The nice little up turn does not support your lower back, only your butt.
    I have not experienced any of the other difficulties you mentioned. Yes, you will have to remove the seat to get clear access to the battery, but that's not really that big of a deal. Your not going to do it that often and once you've done it once or three times it becomes easy. I never even bought the longer bolts that some advocate. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to reinstall the seat. You'll find a piece of string will help alien the lever pins with the holes makes it a lot easier and alleviates the return problem you mentioned if done properly.
    The other thing I would recommend is you consider installing one of the handlebar kits (Kury. makes one for about $80) to move the bars closer to you and allows you to adjust them up or down for your comfort. This way your riding in a more relaxed upright position and not reaching forward so much. Remember the seat does move you back almost 2 inches.
    Thank you for your reply! I'll take these into consideration! I have. Bony butt (the cushioning is around my belly!! Ha!). So it may yet work for me.