Seat upgrade? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seat upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Usswl View Post
    I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss
    I've been using my Mustang deluxe for 3 years now the only complaint I have is you can't get a back rest for it. On long rides over 400 miles you will miss not being able to lay back on it. The nice little up turn does not support your lower back, only your butt.
    I have not experienced any of the other difficulties you mentioned. Yes, you will have to remove the seat to get clear access to the battery, but that's not really that big of a deal. Your not going to do it that often and once you've done it once or three times it becomes easy. I never even bought the longer bolts that some advocate. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to reinstall the seat. You'll find a piece of string will help alien the lever pins with the holes makes it a lot easier and alleviates the return problem you mentioned if done properly.
    The other thing I would recommend is you consider installing one of the handlebar kits (Kury. makes one for about $80) to move the bars closer to you and allows you to adjust them up or down for your comfort. This way your riding in a more relaxed upright position and not reaching forward so much. Remember the seat does move you back almost 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I've been using my Mustang deluxe for 3 years now the only complaint I have is you can't get a back rest for it. On long rides over 400 miles you will miss not being able to lay back on it. The nice little up turn does not support your lower back, only your butt.
    I have not experienced any of the other difficulties you mentioned. Yes, you will have to remove the seat to get clear access to the battery, but that's not really that big of a deal. Your not going to do it that often and once you've done it once or three times it becomes easy. I never even bought the longer bolts that some advocate. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to reinstall the seat. You'll find a piece of string will help alien the lever pins with the holes makes it a lot easier and alleviates the return problem you mentioned if done properly.
    The other thing I would recommend is you consider installing one of the handlebar kits (Kury. makes one for about $80) to move the bars closer to you and allows you to adjust them up or down for your comfort. This way your riding in a more relaxed upright position and not reaching forward so much. Remember the seat does move you back almost 2 inches.
    Thank you for your reply! I'll take these into consideration! I have. Bony butt (the cushioning is around my belly!! Ha!). So it may yet work for me.

I bought a new to me Mustang last week, installed it a few days ago, and had no issues. The previous owner said it would take me about 30 minutes to install it, and I think it was actually 20. No tapered bolts, everything opens like it should, easy peasy. The only thing that was a hiccup, was discovering that my dealer had neglected to put a washer under the head of one of the seat bolts, but I had an extra in the nuts and bolts drawers here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    I bought a new to me Mustang last week, installed it a few days ago, and had no issues. The previous owner said it would take me about 30 minutes to install it, and I think it was actually 20. No tapered bolts, everything opens like it should, easy peasy. The only thing that was a hiccup, was discovering that my dealer had neglected to put a washer under the head of one of the seat bolts, but I had an extra in the nuts and bolts drawers here.

Looks great! I have always loved the look of the Mustang seat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

rally

I am looking forward to checking out the various seats. My biggest problem is $$, life is very different than before now that being able to work consistently has become a problem. It sounds like a RDL would be ideal or other custom mod as I am 6' with 32 inseam. I need both seats to be comfortable for us young riders with bodies that think we are 70+.

great thread!

I bought one of the original Mustang seats when they were introduced. Hard as hell to install first time. Piece of cake after it gets broke in. I never had issues with the saddlebag latches. Love how it lets you sit in the frame rather on top of it like stock seat. I have some 1100 plus mile days on the Mustang seat and find it very comfortable. I had mini floorboards for a while but didn't like how I had to position my foot to reach the shifter. I did like the drop they provided so I kept the bracket and added Kury pegs. That combination helps to compensate for the lower seating position so my knees aren't in an uncomfortable position. The seat has held up well and I highly recommend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have put an Ultimate Seat on each bike I have owned over the past years. I put on a lot of miles and I have been very satisfied with them. Just bought a new F6B and had one put on before I picked it up. A top quality product.

If you just bought the bike give yourself a bit of riding time before buying a new seat. I was considering buying a Corbin seat as I had on all my previous bikes but I got used to the stock seat and now I can ride long days without any discomfort. The only thing I am considering is to change the cover to leather because it does not stick as much as vinyl when riding on hot sweaty days and leather looks better.

I also got used to the stock seat and like it pretty good. I look forward to being at the rally where I can check out a RDL in person to see if I can justify the huge cost of one of those. I have used Ultimate and love it on my VTX but does not appear to move me backward much at all in the F6B version. An all day ride from here to Pigeon Forge will tell me if can live with this stock seat or not.

I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. The stock riding position made it hard to touch the ground and maneuver at a stop. I can hardly push the bike backward with any sort of incline without first getting off and walking next to the bike.

More importantly for me was the pinch in the center of my back between my shoulders. After 100 miles or so it made riding miserable. The MBL "wide" riser helped a bit but did not alleviate the pinch.

I chose an ultimate seat. The front area towards the tank is a bit narrower. I am still tippy toeing at stops but I can push the bike backward a little better if I stand towards the tank a bit.

That being said it completely transformed the bike. It is incredible how it really makes the bike ride and respond better. It also got rid of the pinch. I found I can go 250+ miles between stops for fuel and don't even get off the bike while fueling.

I guess what I am saying is I love my seat. It made my bike comfortable for me. However, I have no experience on anything else other than stock? YMMV.