f6b fork brace - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: f6b fork brace

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I know this thread is a few weeks old, and i have my kury brace on for a month now. I followed kurys instructions and it did not require loosen of the pinch bolts. On my vtx 1800r, i remember taping the forks in or out to get the brakes to stop dragging after a tire change. The line on the spacer and the fork were critical to the rotor set between the pads. On the B , i have no issues after kury brace install, but would the same rotor / pad issue happen to the Goldwing/f6b if you reset the fork / axel spacing?
    I personally have never heard such a thing.

The calipers are bolted via brackets to the forks (or directly to the lower shock body). The forks are aligned precisely 90 degrees parallel to the front axle, which in turn presents a 90 degree alignment with the rotors as they are positioned within the calipers.

Purpose of setting the axle in the forks by bouncing the front end, with the pinch bolts loosened, is to insure that any slight "twist" in the forks as they relate to each other is minimized, and the forks are aligned and are ready to be finally tightened down on the axle's clamping surface with the pinch bolts.

You have no idea if there was a slight twist in your forks when you installed your Superbrace. Which would maintain that twist. Though I'm sure that there was not. Myself, I loosened the pinch bolts and gently bounced the front end to enable myself to sleep better at night, before installing my Superbrace.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I'm with Will.

I have the Kury, and although Kury doesn't specifically tell you to do it...I still loosened the pinch bolts and reset my forks prior to cinching everything up. Only makes sense to do so.

As an aside....Kury ALSO doesn't tell you what torque spec's to apply either. And, if you specifically ask them about the matter (as I did), they STILL won't tell you. I think more than a bit less of Kury now than I used to (...and that wasn't very much to begin with.)

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Installed Kury Fork Brace

My local dealer just happened to have a black Kury fork brace hanging on the wall. The temptation was too great so I got it for the nice price of $169. Easy install and looks good contrasting with the yellow paint. I went to reset the forks and the pinch bolts were on really tight. Didn't think I'd get them to budge. Grabbed a handful of front brake and compressed the front forks a few times. Then tightened the fork brace and then torqued the pinch bolts to 16 ft pounds. That sure doesn't feel like much compared to how tight they initially were. Did I do that correctly?

Went for a short 10 mile road test and the first thing I noticed was total smoothness in the hand grips. Before there was a slight vibration. It was there yesterday so I know it's not my imagination. Sometime next week when the temps get back above 50, I'll get to really test the brace out. So far I'm pleased with this mode and so glad for all your input in prior posts on the fork brace.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    My local dealer just happened to have a black Kury fork brace hanging on the wall. The temptation was too great so I got it for the nice price of $169. Easy install and looks good contrasting with the yellow paint. I went to reset the forks and the pinch bolts were on really tight. Didn't think I'd get them to budge. Grabbed a handful of front brake and compressed the front forks a few times. Then tightened the fork brace and then torqued the pinch bolts to 16 ft pounds. That sure doesn't feel like much compared to how tight they initially were. Did I do that correctly?

Went for a short 10 mile road test and the first thing I noticed was total smoothness in the hand grips. Before there was a slight vibration. It was there yesterday so I know it's not my imagination. Sometime next week when the temps get back above 50, I'll get to really test the brace out. So far I'm pleased with this mode and so glad for all your input in prior posts on the fork brace.
    More than likely your pinch bolts may have had thread locker on them. I think the Honda repair manual practically tells yo to thread locker everything on the lower fork ends.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    More than likely your pinch bolts may have had thread locker on them. I think the Honda repair manual practically tells yo to thread locker everything on the lower fork ends.
    Hmmmm. Think I should put blue locktite on them?
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Hmmmm. Think I should put blue locktite on them?
    No. I don't know why Honda advocates putting lock tite on those bolts in the first place. They'll be fine without it

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Really on the fence on the brace thing. Usually I like to think if it ain't broke don't fix it. The F6B is the finest handling bike I've ever had, solid in the turns and straight down the hiway with no hands and no vibration or noticeable flex in the bars, no cupping of the tires. So I have to think what am I fixing? However I do like spending money on this bike and have all the stuff I originally wanted so now on to something new? If you get the Kury then you have an adjustment to make and how to do that and know you are correct? Or go with the Super and mount as is with no adjustment! Or the economy version and leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Really on the fence on the brace thing. Usually I like to think if it ain't broke don't fix it. The F6B is the finest handling bike I've ever had, solid in the turns and straight down the hiway with no hands and no vibration or noticeable flex in the bars, no cupping of the tires. So I have to think what am I fixing? However I do like spending money on this bike and have all the stuff I originally wanted so now on to something new? If you get the Kury then you have an adjustment to make and how to do that and know you are correct? Or go with the Super and mount as is with no adjustment! Or the economy version and leave it alone.
    A non adjustable Fork Brace may do more harm than good "IF" it is not correct. You want the forks braced in the middle as to not allow flex but the forks need to be aligned properly when braced.

IF a non adjustable Fork Brace either pulls the forks together or pushes them apart even a slight bit it will create stiction (the friction that tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion.)
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Stiction - it's real!

My SuperBrace was initially mounted incorrectly (by me).
    It was VERY obvious immediately that I had done something wrong.
    So back on the lift, everything loosened up and retightened more carefully.

MUCH better.

Mike - I have a spare SuperBrace if you'd like to try it.
    I have promised it to someone else, but that won't be for awhile.
    Let me know.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Superbrace has a money back guarantee. What do you have to lose?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537