Bolts and spacers for rear luggage rack (with backrest installed)

Thread: Bolts and spacers for rear luggage rack (with backrest installed)

Bolts and spacers for rear luggage rack (with backrest installed)

I bought a used passenger back rest with bracket from a member. I bought the mounting kit from Show Chrome so this can be set up on my non-Deluxe F6B. I figured I'd get the rack while I'm at it. Saw the OEM price for the rack (about $170 retail) and was surprised, and I found a knockoff for less than half. It came in and it appears to be a good knockoff and should work nicely.

The rack did not come with either bolts or spacers, so I'm going to have to get this at a hardware store and possibly cut to length my own spacers. Just wondering before I begin this fiasco if anybody happens to have the proper bolt lengths I need to install the rack along with the backrest? I downloaded the OEM installation instructions, and it shows 2 short and 2 long spacers, along with 2 short, 2 medium and 2 long bolts (depending on whether you have the backrest). It looks like I need the 2 short and 2 long bolts and the 4 spacers to install, but the install sheet doesn't give the measurements of the items.

Does anyone happen to have these bolt/spacer sizes knocking around? I appreciate any help!

PS: I know the bolts are M8s, I just really need the lengths of each set along with the lengths of the spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dior55 View Post
    I bought a used passenger back rest with bracket from a member. I bought the mounting kit from Show Chrome so this can be set up on my non-Deluxe F6B. I figured I'd get the rack while I'm at it. Saw the OEM price for the rack (about $170 retail) and was surprised, and I found a knockoff for less than half. It came in and it appears to be a good knockoff and should work nicely.

The rack did not come with either bolts or spacers, so I'm going to have to get this at a hardware store and possibly cut to length my own spacers. Just wondering before I begin this fiasco if anybody happens to have the proper bolt lengths I need to install the rack along with the backrest? I downloaded the OEM installation instructions, and it shows 2 short and 2 long spacers, along with 2 short, 2 medium and 2 long bolts (depending on whether you have the backrest). It looks like I need the 2 short and 2 long bolts and the 4 spacers to install, but the install sheet doesn't give the measurements of the items.

Does anyone happen to have these bolt/spacer sizes knocking around? I appreciate any help!

PS: I know the bolts are M8s, I just really need the lengths of each set along with the lengths of the spacers.
    This may be what you're looking for!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...d-Luggage-Rack

You can mock up the mount with regular and deep sockets from your tool box, to get the height you want. Then stick some coat hanger wire into the sockets and mount to determine the length of the bolts.

hope this helps -
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm posting a reply to my own thread in case someone else is looking to save money and buying an aftermarket rack without the nightmare of trying to get the right hardware to mount it.

First, I bought two 45mm and two 55mm M8 bolts at Home Depot and a 1/2" x 1/16" steel tube, all told about $18.

Using a mini-cutoff saw I had from Harbor Freight, I experimented with several lengths (the tube is 36" long so much more than needed). I decided that the front spacer cut to 20mm and the rear cut to 30mm looked perfect with the rack being level.

Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Very helpful!
    Especially for those of us who "misplaced" our spacers while doing other mods!

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce