Seat upgrade?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seat upgrade?

Seat upgrade?

Recently bought a 2014 F6B that still has the stock seat. I haven't gone on any really long rides yet, but the plan is to go touring in a couple of years.
    I was looking at the day long seats, but I'm concerned about the extra height they add and where the narrow part of the seat is located (starts too far forward). I have a short inseam (30") and currently have some issues trying to manhandle the bike into parking spaces, etc. (it is much heavier than my 750 ACE). I can flat foot it if I'm all the way forward, but then have limited maneuverability with the foot pegs hitting my shins. I'd like to have a seat that is narrow farther back, but that will still be comfortable on long rides.
    Am I asking for the impossible, or are there custom seats available that would fit these requirements?
    Anyone else out there with a short inseam and a custom seat they really like?

I have a 29" inseam and I am fairly comfortable on my Mustang Daytripper. It sets you deeper into the bike and maybe an 1" farther back.

The stock seat isn't helpful for those of us with shorter inseams. The wider squared off corners kind of take up some of your inseam when you re trying to put your feet to the ground. I use a Corbin Dual Tour which I like, but Corbins are known for you either love them or hate them. They are a firm seat but the area where you put your legs down is rounded and much more comfortable putting your legs down. The Mustang is known to be a better choice for shorter inseams as well. The RDL are custom made for the rider, but they tend to have those wings for support that you will need to slide yourself forward to get your legs past when you put your feet down at stops.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

When I talk to RDL he told me it would add 1 inch to any seats original height so I purchase another Ultimate seat.

I have a shorter inseam myself and find the Mustang seat works well for me..Good on long rides and sits the rider about 1" lower into the bike. I also had 1/2" heels and soles added to my riding boots at the shoe repair shop and now I am good to go!! Many like the Russell Day Long seat, but I am not sure it is any lower than stock.....Another idea is Mean City Cycles, on the web, Allen will re-shape your stock seat and fit it to your liking...I have heard good reports from his work.....Good luck and ride safe

Something to consider is to bring your stock seat to a custom upholstery shop and have them rework it to fit you perfectly.

Thanks

Thanks all for the great advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
    Thanks all for the great advice. It's greatly appreciated.
    If you come to the rally in Pigeon Forge you will be able to sit on all different makes and models of seats and find the one that suits you best.

Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!
    Had the Mustang seat on my bike for 3 years now and it seems to get better with age and wear-in.....Kind of like me at 77 years old....(Ha)...Ride safe