My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade - Page 12
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    Still at it I see. Jimmy, what did you do with the sacrificial factory buttons? I'm looking at maybe utilizing an empty spot in the factory radio panel to install a factory button and control the garage door.
    They're in a ziplok bag....lol

I'd have to look at them to tell you whether they'd be able to be re-purposed like that.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Pictures are working? Where?

Yeah, well sacrificing the panel was a choice I made. I figured that I will never return the bike to stock and if and when I were to sell, well she'll be sold with the goodies.

Yeah I am really digging the 8BB. I haven't got everything back in it's place yet. I did get the handlebar controls to work the 8BB. I can walk you through that, it's not hard. I did have a hiccup that got sorted out today. I bought a PAC Audio SWI-RC steering wheel control adapter. The instructions online and that came with the unit say to set a selector switch to a position categorized as "Other". This other category is supposed to cover some various brands including Rockford Fosgate. It didn't. After calling Tech support today, I was instructed to set the adapter to the position for "Clarion". That fixed it and now my handlebar controls are working. YEAHHHHHHHHH
    I spoke too soon, I figured that Picts where working since your Picts have returned in this thread. I see that you can't post Picts yet- sorry. I don't have a workshop manual yet for my f6b, so I wasn't going to tackle handlebar controls anytime soon? Unless it was simple, I almost got that unit or one similar a few years back for my f150 but never did.
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    I spoke too soon, I figured that Picts where working since your Picts have returned in this thread. I see that you can't post Picts yet- sorry. I don't have a workshop manual yet for my f6b, so I wasn't going to tackle handlebar controls anytime soon? Unless it was simple, I almost got that unit or one similar a few years back for my f150 but never did.
    It's pretty simple. Just four wires tapped just before one of the plugs that used to plug into the "Audio Unit" Those four wires get wired in a circuit with some resistors and paralleled down to 2 wires that connect to the PAC adapter. Just some really simple soldering and heat shrink tubing. When you get the unit 8BB, I can walk you though it. I can post a schematic of the resistor circuit. Essentially the PAC is looking for a voltage drop (created by the resistors) for each button operation. I am only looking at 4 functions. So when the volume up button is pushed, one resistance/voltage drop and so on.

This is a teaser pic. The phone doesn't really take a good picture of the display screen with glare and all. I don't have the trim pieces on the fairing. Still messing around with various projects. Hurt my shoulder a week ago and that has slowed me down.

This is a teaser pic. The phone doesn't really take a good picture of the display screen with glare and all. I don't have the trim pieces on the fairing. Still messing around with various projects. Hurt my shoulder a week ago and that has slowed me down.

Nice , mine looks similar with buttons above the PMX 1 r. My PMX 8bb should arrive tomorrow.

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Would like to see pics on how you mounted the 8bb unit. You mentioned it was where the factory audio unit was?, did you put it inside the plastic housing - etc.?

Would like to see pics on how you mounted the 8bb unit. You mentioned it was where the factory audio unit was?, did you put it inside the plastic housing - etc.?
    Well this is a pic of it just sitting in the box. Now it is in the box and I pulled all the connectors that I am not using back into the box. There are four complete sets of preouts, 2 sets of auxillary inputs, plus CAN connectors not used and a thing or two else, I am not using. I stuffed the unused stuff back into the box. I also ran a 1/4" x 20 screw on each side with nuts capturing the unit to mount it through the bottom. Also the steering wheel adapter from PAC is in that box with the stereo as well. This was just the initial pic I took when I set it in there.

Well this is a pic of it just sitting in the box. Now it is in the box and I pulled all the connectors that I am not using back into the box. There are four complete sets of preouts, 2 sets of auxillary inputs, plus CAN connectors not used and a thing or two else, I am not using. I stuffed the unused stuff back into the box. I also ran a 1/4" x 20 screw on each side with nuts capturing the unit to mount it through the bottom. Also the steering wheel adapter from PAC is in that box with the stereo as well. This was just the initial pic I took when I set it in there.

That's what I had pictured in my mind, as far as the factory harness that went into the box. Did you just leave under the seat secured and some kind of cap or cover on the ends, I know you said you had tapped into it for the steering wheel adapter.

That's what I had pictured in my mind, as far as the factory harness that went into the box. Did you just leave under the seat secured and some kind of cap or cover on the ends, I know you said you had tapped into it for the steering wheel adapter.
    Yes the harness and plugs that previously went into that box are bundled up and sit in front of that box. I just used good electrical tape to cover the plugs. Really, the OEM stuff will never be back on this bike, but just for good measure, the plugs are wrapped in the electrical tape to protect and to help bundle them up.

Yes the harness and plugs that previously went into that box are bundled up and sit in front of that box. I just used good electrical tape to cover the plugs. Really, the OEM stuff will never be back on this bike, but just for good measure, the plugs are wrapped in the electrical tape to protect and to help bundle them up.
    Ok and thanks, looks like you cut out a bigger hole the left (on picture) - but right side box as reference to the bike. Is that needed for wires to come out? Or was that a matter of preference?. Won't have 8bb till tomorrow