Belly Pan...Is there a need? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pan...Is there a need?

I put one on mine after reading about oil filter and case damage. Darn good thing! I had something kick up from the road not too long after I put it on and when I did my first service I saw a major dent in the belly pan. Cheap insurance I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    this might be a good reason to install a belly pan. This is a coolant bottle that came off one of my good friends Goldwing. He ran over this bolt in the road and it kicked up and speared his coolant bottle. I have a picture of a punctured oil filter somewhere but I can't find it. I bought a belly pan for my wing but I have never installed it. For some reason, I prefer not to run them, not sure why, but I just don't like them. To each his own.
    WOW thats some bolt.Most belly pans are thin sheetmetal so with a bolt/object that size it would probably go thru the belly pan and hit something and cause damage anyway
    Ride it like you stole it

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    They aren't extremely expensive, and pretty easy to install.
    Not going to protect you from a 'major projectile' but deflecting some debris might be all it takes to save your bacon.
    I've got 'em on the way, just not here / installed yet,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BillyDaFinn View Post
    Yup, I just bought this one the other day, shipping delayed 5-7 days for some reason.......
    I have this one, I installed it for all the reasons listed above, and one not listed. I am a clean freak and cleaning the bottom of the engine after a long ride takes a while and several rags, now its just spray the rag with cleaner and wipe off the pan... finished.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Great point Jesse! Need to get mine on before it gets grunged up 'down under'!

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    WOW thats some bolt.Most belly pans are thin sheetmetal so with a bolt/object that size it would probably go thru the belly pan and hit something and cause damage anyway
    Very true, the belly pans aren't made from armor plate. I think most are made from 22 gauge aluminum. They will take a beating. The other down side is; Some riders claim that it makes the bike run hotter because it traps a lot more heat in the engine compartment. I have no knowledge of this, but I have heard folks complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The main thing that keeps me from adding this is that it adds more steps to changing the oil. I already added a Fumoto Qwik Valve to make that as easy as possible and, in addition, I've found that I don't have to remove the lower cowl. To put something else on there that makes me get out tools to change the oil is just something I'd rather not do.
    Yep, that was me earlier talking about how I didn't want to add a belly pan. Well, it looks like I changed my mind since I ordered one of these today. The two-screw-removable front panel makes the prospect of extra work in changing the oil more acceptable for me. Mainly though, I like the idea of protecting the plastic coolant tank and adding an extra layer of protection for the otherwise exposed belly.

Kawi69 ..... I am waiting for an eml address now.... I will post if/when I get it...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Hornblower you just saw mine. tee hee.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Hornblower you just saw mine. tee hee.....
    Many outside influences are draining my bank account and yes, you are one of them When I first bought this F6B Goldwing, I had no idea there would be so many ways to spend money on it. It is fun though, isn't it?