FNG - intro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FNG - intro

FNG - intro

Not sure where to post this. Canadian male with 35 years of riding many different brands. Currently have 2 Harleys and a BMW in the garage. Im a firm believer in multi bike ownership. Searching for a new 2 wheel experience. These F6B's have caught my eye. Familiar with Honda products. I'm sure to have some questions. Thx and ride safe. Flhfxd.

FNG

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will fall in love with the F6B as most of us here have. I enjoy this forum tremendously. Great information and a good group of people.

Welcome!

Welcome to the forums!
    While no bike is perfect for everything, most of us have found that the 'B' does a lot REALLY well.

The General Message, Garage, and Accessory sections contain a lot of information.
    The Off Topic Section will give you more (perhaps unnecessary!) insight into a few of the regular characters.

As with any forum, the Search and Advanced Search functions are your friend.
    We've recently performed a major server upgrade and our tech guy is still ironing a few issues with the old attachments.

Have fun, and again, welcome!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    flstnf6b
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

Welcome to the forums!
    While no bike is perfect for everything, most of us have found that the 'B' does a lot REALLY well.

The General Message, Garage, and Accessory sections contain a lot of information.
    The Off Topic Section will give you more (perhaps unnecessary!) insight into a few of the regular characters.

As with any forum, the Search and Advanced Search functions are your friend.
    We've recently performed a major server upgrade and our tech guy is still ironing a few issues with the old attachments.

Have fun, and again, welcome!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    flstnf6b
    Not sure about that reference. I don't think anybody has ever called me "regular"---although I have been referred to as a "character" many times but I am not sure if it was a compliment. Hummm
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So, what years are the HD's? That'll make a difference comparing them to the B.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flhfxd View Post
    Not sure where to post this. Canadian male with 35 years of riding many different brands. Currently have 2 Harleys and a BMW in the garage. Im a firm believer in multi bike ownership. Searching for a new 2 wheel experience. These F6B's have caught my eye. Familiar with Honda products. I'm sure to have some questions. Thx and ride safe. Flhfxd.
    Why, hello. I have been to and through your city many times. Beautiful, and much to offer.

As for the F6B...not sure what your questions are, but I will tell you three things I like about mine (9600 miles, 1.5 years ownership) and three things I don't like. I came off of a traditional cruiser, like your Harleys.

Here is the positive, in my opinion:

Handling. This was the biggest surprise for me. For a 900 lb pig, it handles really well. U-turns and figure 8s are easy to do on this machine. This actually makes me feel safer vs. riding my traditional, feet-forward cruisers.

Power. V-twins make a lot of nice, meaty torque below 4000 rpm, then peeter out. This flat six has the most linear power curve of any gasoline engine I have ever operated. Pulling away from a turn down a straightaway, in 4th gear, at 1000 rpm, is no problem. Rev it high, and it pulls hard but not 1400 cc sport-touring bike hard. This engine does not possess a flat spot. I have referred to it as turbine-like power or an electric motor with gears.

Vibration. It does not exist on this bike. This is a major factor in the lack of fatigue when riding long distances. You will not feel anything except grip in your hands and nothing on the pegs except rubber.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is the negative, in my opinion:

No ABS. This is a major omission from a $20,000 bike. Almost every other bike in this price range has it. It almost cost them my purchase. Also missing from 2013 & 14 models is cruise control. Ridiculous.

Controls. The audio system dates back to 1999 and Honda has done little to update it. It's fine, but competitors have Bluetooth stereos, XM radio options, push button start, navigation, etc. An example of the dated audio controls: You can plug in your iPod or smartphone to stream music, but you have little control over playlists, songs, albums. The TUNE toggle switch on the handlebars doesn't take you through preset stations, but just manually tunes to each frequency (93.1, 93.3, 93.5, etc).

Storage. Honda screwed this up too, unnecessarily. You have to use a key to access any compartment, from the bags to the glovebox. That is a PITA. There are many options to resolve this issue on this site, rest assured. However, on a bike with a window sticker that can exceed $20,000, this is not well thought out. As for the bags themselves, while you CAN squeeze most helmets in them, it is not that easy. They open like a clamshell on its back, which is a design remnant from the big brother Gold Wing, which has a trunk above the bags making the only sensible way to design access to the bags through the top and side. Also, one cannot leave the saddlebags unlocked unless the spare key is left in the key slot.

I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

This forum is excellent. These guys helped me pick a windshield, taught me how to convert the locking glovebox to one that just requires the turn of a knob, best ways to hook up your iTunes and stream Sirius XM, the best fog light setups, etc, etc.

Know you will have lots of support here if make a move!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I agree with V star, clamshell bags suck. Anyone that thinks they don't, hasn't used a top loader bag. Leg space is cramped. Ground clearance could be improved as well. Those are my biggest complaints, otherwise, the B is a beast and handles very well for her size, she just touches down in corners before I get to the discomfort zone. Once the pegs grind, the discomfort zone is in full effect!

Mike

Excellent info folks and very much appreciated. As mentioned, I'm searching for something..."different". I've never ridden that flat 6 but I know a little better now what to expect. I think it's time to visit a showroom and check out ergonomics, storage, etc..
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flhfxd View Post
    Excellent info folks and very much appreciated. As mentioned, I'm searching for something..."different". I've never ridden that flat 6 but I know a little better now what to expect. I think it's time to visit a showroom and check out ergonomics, storage, etc..
    Thanks again.
    One thing about this bike that is the proverbial 800-lb gorilla in the room...and its a good thing...it is a very simple motorcycle. The motor is a SOHC two-valve per cylinder basic design with port fuel injection. The rest of the bike is a Gold Wing, which in its current form, is an 18 year old platform. The bugs have lonnnggggg been worked out of it. It is very, very reliable. Go ahead and try to find a thread about mechanical failures or breakdowns on this forum...they are few and far between.

They are very easy to do maintenance on, too. Oil/filter changes are a piece of cake, and the removing the rear tire is simple as well. The air cleaner...that's a different matter...but you won't have to do that often.

Honda outboards and generators are the same way. The get the design correct, keep it simple, and keep running them down the assembly line the same way for decades. My 2001 Honda 30 hp outboard is exactly the same motor today as it was then, minus a decal update.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Get a center stand, even if you have to buy one after. Almost all maintenance done with it. I bought a standard model, then added that later. Best move I made. All I have aftermarket is a windshield and pegs. Over 24k in less than a year and a half with no complaints....my 2 cents.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.