FNG - intro - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FNG - intro

Quote Originally Posted by Flhfxd View Post
    I am not at all surprised to read all of your comments and to be honest, I think I knew way in advance that this would be the collective wisdom. As I said, I am familiar with the company and it's products. I feel as though I'm about to betray my brand.....! Now ain't that the silliest shyt you ever heard?
    I was a life long Harley guy (still have an FXD in case of emergency) but the F6B caught my eye a few years ago when touring in California. I didn't want to "betray my brand" either. Then I took one out on a Honda test day. The engine is amazing. The torque is always there. Like you I live in a big city, this bike can act like a city bike or eat huge miles on the highway or swoop through the twists. The bike is heavy. However you only notice the weight when it's stopped or I'm pushing it to park it. Once you're moving the weight disappears. For a heavy bike, it's fast. 200+Kms is easy to do and you get there quick. I'm no speed demon but you can get into loose your licence territory pretty quick with this bike. The quiet engine/exhaust is a bit off putting at first coming from a Harley. I will probably put torque loops and Rush exhaust on it after my first full year of riding it to make sure it's what I want. I can't say enough about this bike. It's not a Harley and isn't trying to be one unlike some other baggers. The switch gear and electronics look dated but if you're coming from a Harley that is more than two years old, it looks state of the art. Take one for a spin. You'll understand what everyone on this forum is talking about. There are a lot of low km 2013-2014 bikes around for under 13,000 CDN. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcityd View Post
    I was a life long Harley guy (still have an FXD in case of emergency) but the F6B caught my eye a few years ago when touring in California. I didn't want to "betray my brand" either. Then I took one out on a Honda test day. The engine is amazing. The torque is always there. Like you I live in a big city, this bike can act like a city bike or eat huge miles on the highway or swoop through the twists. The bike is heavy. However you only notice the weight when it's stopped or I'm pushing it to park it. Once you're moving the weight disappears. For a heavy bike, it's fast. 200+Kms is easy to do and you get there quick. I'm no speed demon but you can get into loose your licence territory pretty quick with this bike. The quiet engine/exhaust is a bit off putting at first coming from a Harley. I will probably put torque loops and Rush exhaust on it after my first full year of riding it to make sure it's what I want. I can't say enough about this bike. It's not a Harley and isn't trying to be one unlike some other baggers. The switch gear and electronics look dated but if you're coming from a Harley that is more than two years old, it looks state of the art. Take one for a spin. You'll understand what everyone on this forum is talking about. There are a lot of low km 2013-2014 bikes around for under 13,000 CDN. Good luck
    I am convinced. At this point it's more a matter of when, not if. I'll keep my Harleys cause that's the kind of guy I am but I look forward to parking one of these things in the garage. Got a couple of other bikes to sell first, then.......hunt!

Is there any talk of a 6th gear trans for future model years? Or is 5th gear tall enough? Thx

Is there any talk of a 6th gear trans for future model years? Or is 5th gear tall enough? Thx
    No talk that I've seen, although many people wish for it.
    Actually both 4th & 5th are overdrive gears.

Honda knows that "Wingers" load their bikes up, head to the hills, and tow stuff so Honda didn't want to make the final drive too tall for hills and trailers.

My experience:
    At 85 mph, I'm at 3500 RPM.
    That seems a bit much.
    Gas mileage goes south at 3150 RPM.
    I'd like to see a 6th gear that would put me at 2750 RPM at 85 mph.
    I don't tow and I don't have a passenger seat anymore.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    No talk that I've seen, although many people wish for it.
    Actually both 4th & 5th are overdrive gears.

Honda knows that "Wingers" load their bikes up, head to the hills, and tow stuff so Honda didn't want to make the final drive too tall for hills and trailers.

My experience:
    At 85 mph, I'm at 3500 RPM.
    That seems a bit much.
    Gas mileage goes south at 3150 RPM.
    I'd like to see a 6th gear that would put me at 2750 RPM at 85 mph.
    I don't tow and I don't have a passenger seat anymore.

Cheers,
    Steve
    That raises a good point: what is the fuel range of these bikes say, at 60 mph and then at 85 mph?
    Thx, Flhfxd

That raises a good point: what is the fuel range of these bikes say, at 60 mph and then at 85 mph?
    Thx, Flhfxd
    Assuming smooth throttle control, etc, etc...
    At 85 I get about 185-195 miles for 5.5 gallons (low Fuel light flickering to just steady ON - 1 gallon left)
    At 60 I get 220-225 for that same 5.5 gallons.
    87 octane.
    6.6 gallon tank
    YMMV.
    (lol, I've always wanted to use that literally)

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Assuming smooth throttle control, etc, etc...
    At 85 I get about 185-195 miles for 5.5 gallons (low Fuel light flickering to just steady ON - 1 gallon left)
    At 60 I get 220-225 for that same 5.5 gallons.
    87 octane.
    6.6 gallon tank
    YMMV.
    (lol, I've always wanted to use that literally)

Cheers,
    Steve
    YMMV....??? Sorry, whats it mean? Your mileage may vary?

YMMV....??? Sorry, whats it mean? Your mileage may vary?
    Exactly!!!

Many people use it after they make a statement on how well something "may" work....

"Water your grass in the morning for best results. YMMV"

But, I got to use it literally!!!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Why, hello. I have been to and through your city many times. Beautiful, and much to offer.

As for the F6B...not sure what your questions are, but I will tell you three things I like about mine (9600 miles, 1.5 years ownership) and three things I don't like. I came off of a traditional cruiser, like your Harleys.

Here is the positive, in my opinion:

Handling. This was the biggest surprise for me. For a 900 lb pig, it handles really well. U-turns and figure 8s are easy to do on this machine. This actually makes me feel safer vs. riding my traditional, feet-forward cruisers.

Power. V-twins make a lot of nice, meaty torque below 4000 rpm, then peeter out. This flat six has the most linear power curve of any gasoline engine I have ever operated. Pulling away from a turn down a straightaway, in 4th gear, at 1000 rpm, is no problem. Rev it high, and it pulls hard but not 1400 cc sport-touring bike hard. This engine does not possess a flat spot. I have referred to it as turbine-like power or an electric motor with gears.

Vibration. It does not exist on this bike. This is a major factor in the lack of fatigue when riding long distances. You will not feel anything except grip in your hands and nothing on the pegs except rubber.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is the negative, in my opinion:

No ABS. This is a major omission from a $20,000 bike. Almost every other bike in this price range has it. It almost cost them my purchase. Also missing from 2013 & 14 models is cruise control. Ridiculous.

Controls. The audio system dates back to 1999 and Honda has done little to update it. It's fine, but competitors have Bluetooth stereos, XM radio options, push button start, navigation, etc. An example of the dated audio controls: You can plug in your iPod or smartphone to stream music, but you have little control over playlists, songs, albums. The TUNE toggle switch on the handlebars doesn't take you through preset stations, but just manually tunes to each frequency (93.1, 93.3, 93.5, etc).

Storage. Honda screwed this up too, unnecessarily. You have to use a key to access any compartment, from the bags to the glovebox. That is a PITA. There are many options to resolve this issue on this site, rest assured. However, on a bike with a window sticker that can exceed $20,000, this is not well thought out. As for the bags themselves, while you CAN squeeze most helmets in them, it is not that easy. They open like a clamshell on its back, which is a design remnant from the big brother Gold Wing, which has a trunk above the bags making the only sensible way to design access to the bags through the top and side. Also, one cannot leave the saddlebags unlocked unless the spare key is left in the key slot.

I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

This forum is excellent. These guys helped me pick a windshield, taught me how to convert the locking glovebox to one that just requires the turn of a knob, best ways to hook up your iTunes and stream Sirius XM, the best fog light setups, etc, etc.

Know you will have lots of support here if make a move!
    If you are buying a Canadian model F6B, it comes with ABS. Score!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock View Post
    If you are buying a Canadian model F6B, it comes with ABS. Score!
    I need to ride across the border and trade mine for a Canadian model!! After spending five seconds typing that, it actually seems like a good idea. The Niagara Falls crossing is less than two hours away.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6