Steelmate TPMS question

Thread: Steelmate TPMS question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Thanks for the update.

I'll have to pay more attention to mine and see how long it takes to get a new reading. I'll let you know ......
    I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue ??
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue ??
    No useful news on this TPMS. I've been watching and lately, the rear sensor sends a signal while I am backing down the driveway. In fact, before the front sensor sends its signal.

I know at times, one or both of them have been very slow about reacting. Something must move in the sensor when the tire spins. Maybe it is moving easier now that it is hot outside.

I'll keep monitoring and see what happens. When I need new batteries, I'll have a good look inside and see what is going on in there.

As a quick and interesting test, you could swap front and rear sensors without reprogramming them and see what happens ...
    Albuquerque, NM

No useful news on this TPMS. As a quick and interesting test, you could swap front and rear sensors without reprogramming them and see what happens ...

As an update
    A new battery did not help...

I have a second Steelmate TPMS unit on my old 78 GL1000 and so I swapped the rear sensors and it made no difference in time to update, although both units seem to work quicker on the Old Wing then on the F6B.

Now it could be the F6B has more electronics on it or it has to do with the position of the receiver. On my Old Wing the receiver is mounted up on the Handlebars but on the F6B the receiver is mounted down in the tunnel along side where the Right Handlebar mounts.

As an update
    A new battery did not help...

I have a second Steelmate TPMS unit on my old 78 GL1000 and so I swapped the rear sensors and it made no difference in time to update, although both units seem to work quicker on the Old Wing then on the F6B.

Now it could be the F6B has more electronics on it or it has to do with the position of the receiver. On my Old Wing the receiver is mounted up on the Handlebars but on the F6B the receiver is mounted down in the tunnel along side where the Right Handlebar mounts.
    I understand what you have already done and are about through with this. But ---- swapping the front and rear without reprogramming would be an easy test. And there would be no other variables to deal with. What if both of the sensors you put on the rear are not exactly the same/as good as on the front? If you would humor me, I'd like to know the outcome.
    Albuquerque, NM

I understand what you have already done and are about through with this. But ---- swapping the front and rear without reprogramming would be an easy test. And there would be no other variables to deal with. What if both of the sensors you put on the rear are not exactly the same/as good as on the front? If you would humor me, I'd like to know the outcome.

I will give it a shot this weekend.
    I have to replace the Front Brake Pads and will be rolling around on a creeper anyway...

I will give it a shot this weekend.
    I have to replace the Front Brake Pads and will be rolling around on a creeper anyway...
    Thank you, Sir!
    Albuquerque, NM

My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review

My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review is not very good.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested.

The front tire sender unit on both my Motorcycles works well BUT the rear on both bikes is very inconsistent. Sometime taking up to 3 miles before it updates the PSI. Also it seems to loose the signal from time to time and I get no reading just a red -- that shows no PSI. A call to one of their tech supports was useless as they told me they do not have tech support for this system only their alarm system and I should call another phone number that is not Steelmate but does install them.

The Steelmate TPMS system seems to work for 95% of the time and is still a helpful tool but I always wonder if the reading is correct. Not very confidence inspiring.

I am done swapping units from bike to bike and running tests.

My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review is not very good.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested.

The front tire sender unit on both my Motorcycles works well BUT the rear on both bikes is very inconsistent. Sometime taking up to 3 miles before it updates the PSI. Also it seems to loose the signal from time to time and I get no reading just a red -- that shows no PSI. A call to one of their tech supports was useless as they told me they do not have tech support for this system only their alarm system and I should call another phone number that is not Steelmate but does install them.

The Steelmate TPMS system seems to work for 95% of the time and is still a helpful tool but I always wonder if the reading is correct. Not very confidence inspiring.

I am done swapping units from bike to bike and running tests.
    That sucks. You must've gotten a less than stellar unit for the rear sensor. Mine are still working correctly. Fingers crossed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537