45 mpg now common....thanks to...Mobil 1? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 mpg now common....thanks to...Mobil 1?

I agree about this "superior mileage" some of these guys claim they get from the F6B. Must be coasting downhill with the throttle closed, a tailwind, and rider weighs about 150lbs...I have never really watched the mileage thing as I personally don't care about it..If a sudden drop happens then I would check, but otherwise a waste of time in my opinion...At 77 years old I don't ride like a crazy man, but still "get-on-it" once in a while, but mostly conservative riding and don't think I have ever gotten over 40 mpg....Ride safe

ride like me not like them

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    I get 35 to 40 on average with with synthetic oil and the same with dino. It amazes me the claims of + 40 mpg. Only times I've gotten better mileage was going downhill or with a tailwind. I'm only 175 lbs too.
    I'm right there with you - something about that F6B engine calls for a heavy hand on the throttle. Just in off my new Valkyrie, same engine less weight = oh the power!
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Mid 40s anytime I'm taking it easy and I don't use Mobile 1 or even syn stuff. Got plus 40 yesterday in lots of stop and go traffic. Many factors in gas mileage and I would think oil brand would be one of the least things to affect results. That right wrist and speed are tops I would think. I do believe engines get better mileage as they get more broke in. I'm also close to 300 lbs and not many hills to coast down here in Florida, don't really care if you believe it or not but its a fact jack.

Gas mileage increase

I too have had an increase in gas mileage after I passed 7,000 miles. Nothing else had changed that I knew of, same windshield, same rider, same oil, just thought it was something to do break in finally taking place. I had a BMW that took 10,000 miles to break in. I had some oil consumption and gas mileage improved the more miles I had on the bike, after 10,000 miles the oil consumption stabilized to zero.

Good insight by all.

Not sure why the doubters doubt...I think the only time I have dropped below 40 was during Oct. 2015, when it was new and the temps were cold.

Must be the way we drive these things because I doubt there's any difference in how these bikes were built, considering the consistent quality and performance across the GW lineup.

I typically get better than predicted gas mileage on all of my vehicles, including boats and sleds.

"Driving it easy" is very subjective. This is what my typical run looks like: I shift between 1800-2500 rpm most of the time; I rev it 3500 every ten shifts or so, based on traffic; rarely ream on it (perhaps once per tank full when the urge strikes). I do not have an agenda for these shift points - just the way I like to ride.

Perhaps the biggest factor is that I rarely ride less than 30 miles per trip. My ride to work is 37 miles each way and its not often I bother to put on all the gear for a 5 mile ride.

Anyway, I will keep monitoring fuel economy just because I like to. I will check back in with any changes.

45 mpg is impressive from a six cylinder engine in a 900 lb bike...my VStar 1100 typically got 50 mpg with a 19" windshield, 48 with the 21"...a bike with four fewer cylinders, 700 less cc's, and 300 fewer lbs of bike.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I just came in from 274 mile lunch run and visited a few war memorial's 42mpg running 65-80mph, and of course with Tail Wind in toe.

As I have written elsewhere, any sustained cruising above 3150 RPMs will cause MPGs to decrease.
    If you keep it between 1800-3000, you'll get great mileage.
    I'm routinely between 3300 and 4000 while interstate cruising.

Anyway, yeah, it CAN be done, but it's all in the wrist and the mission.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

speed

I average pretty much 40. If I push the speed limit on the interstate too much it drops into the upper 30's. A nice ride off the interstate it will be low to mid 40's. I have the Honda tall windshield and wonder if a that causes a little less mpg's.

I'm like Opas Ride. I could care less about miles per gallon. I am constantly hammering the throttle on every corner exit I possibly can. (Sometimes, a cager slows me down in the corners). I did 416 miles today, and have no idea what milage I got, I just know I had a blast, riding the bluffs along the Mississippi river, and south central Wisconsin. Great roads, just have to watch for an occasional John Deere on the back roads!