Quieter Exhaust for 2016 F6B? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quieter Exhaust for 2016 F6B?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I didn't start hearing the drone until I installed the Madstad.

What's weirder is that if I wear foam earplugs with my 3/4 helmet; the drone is really irritating.

But....

If I'm not wearing earplugs, the drone is not bad but then I have the wind noise at speed.

Go figure....
    Interesting..... The reason I love my Madstad is that it removed all wind noise with my 1/2 helmet so I no longer wear ear plugs.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    I wouldn't say "...we are all recognizing the drone."
    I swapped the chromies on my '14 for a set of black from a '15 and I couldn't be happier. I love the difference in the sound... more guttural as you say. And I experience no drone at all.

However, I did briefly encounter the drone with the chromies and a different windshield!
    I firmly believe the drone is rooted squarely in the acoustic harmonics created by the variances of the pipes, the windshield height and material and the rider position. I suspect that a different rider, on the same bike that another claims has the drone, may not experience it. Just my hunch.

Anyway, I won't go back to the chrome pipes.

And to the OP I would say... the chrome pipes are quieter than the black, but not by much, especially at speed. It's not like the difference you hear between pipes of two different mfgs. The real difference is the richer tone of the black. And I haven't seen a good explanation for that.

Ride safe, amigo!
    Completely agree with Ixol Phaane and wjduke . . . very recently switched out my stock '13 chrome for a set of black from a '15 and the tone is definitely improved. No drone issues here at all -- running with a 14" klockwerks windscreen. Wasn't looking for "loud" (been there done that with Hard Khrome res-techs on my VTX) so the black '15 exhaust hits the mark perfectly for this guy. Added benefit is the new visual aesthetics of the black pipes. So while not a major difference overall the pros far outweigh any cons.

I'm getting old and my memory is going away,
    ...but iirc, I was rolling with the 11/19 (?) Baggershield when I noticed some drone. It wasn't unbearable nor particularly loud, but I noticed it. It showed up at fwy speed...70-75 mph... and only when I had the tall shield up. After installing the Madstad I never noticed it. I've also since swapped the pipes so it's totally a non-issue anymore.

Some guys change the shield and eliminate it. Others swap pipes. And apparently even different helmets make a difference. Then of course some riders never notice an issue at all. Voodoo! Acoustic anomaly.

[edit] Of course, if you just let your HD buddies ride up front you'll never have to worry about any drone that might come from the F6B!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"