F6B Break-in period
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: F6B Break-in period

F6B Break-in period

I have been riding this 2016 F6B for past 2-3 weeks and now has little less than 800 miles on teh belt I'll probably get to like this big girl, but every mile covered is a constant reminder that this is not a Concours C14. I figure there is a break-in period, but it really is extremely slouchy right now. Anyway, sometime ago I came across reference of break-in period that BigLry could have written but not able to find it. Appreciate if someone could share the link if they know it. Need to see what more to expect before deciding to unload. Thx for input.
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

Quote Originally Posted by deb99 View Post
    I have been riding this 2016 F6B for past 2-3 weeks and now has little less than 800 miles on teh belt I'll probably get to like this big girl, but every mile covered is a constant reminder that this is not a Concours C14. I figure there is a break-in period, but it really is extremely slouchy right now. Anyway, sometime ago I came across reference of break-in period that BigLry could have written but not able to find it. Appreciate if someone could share the link if they know it. Need to see what more to expect before deciding to unload. Thx for input.
    Slouchy. Now there's a word you don't hear describing the F6B too often.

I have never ridden a Concours, but I am guessing it is a higher-revving freewheeling horsepower monster.

Your flat-six Honda will not react the way your Kawi did...it is more of a "push" than a "pull". Lots of thrust, not arm-ripping, wheelie-popping power. It is a Cadillac Northstar V8 rather than a Civic Si with a 9000 rpm redline.

Have you rolled on the throttle hard in each gear? If so, are you still disappointed?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

You already have miles on it....

...ride it like you stole it. Seriously. Can you see I am serious?

The F6B is not equipped with an S&S engine.

Just check the oil and GO!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Here's a pretty thorough How-To:
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Here's a pretty thorough How-To:
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve,

You've overwhelmed him. With the same advice I gave him.

Remember K.I.S.S.

Ride it like you stole it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

If she is still all stock, do that ECM reset procedure.....sounds like something is (perhaps literally) amiss.
    I'd also run some Seafoam through her and clean her out really well.

As mentioned already, "slouchy" has never been used to describe this bike.
    Keep us informed.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Steve... Thx for the link. Although i am not sure that's the one i had in mind, it was interesting and useful info. More than likely, I'll be taking his suggestion to be more agressive with the throttle to help break-in.

I seem to have struck a nerve with term "slouchy F6B". When you come from a C14 for past 5 years where you can start cruising at 95mph at the flick of the wrist, to being on F6B that you have to push and fight to get to 80mph.... it can be very disappointing. Especially when you remember all the reviews you read about how response and quick the F6B is, you begin to wonder if these writers were collecting from Honda.

Anyway, bike is just 3 weeks and it's still stock. Only LED lights been added. Not sure i need seafoam right now, but will get a can to try. Maybe the bike just needs a couple more miles to break.

For those who have not been on the C14, you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ALL MISSING. Now wondering if I need 2 bikes, but cfo might have issue with that.
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

Steve... Thx for the link. Although i am not sure that's the one i had in mind, it was interesting and useful info. More than likely, I'll be taking his suggestion to be more agressive with the throttle to help break-in.

I seem to have struck a nerve with term "slouchy F6B". When you come from a C14 for past 5 years where you can start cruising at 95mph at the flick of the wrist, to being on F6B that you have to push and fight to get to 80mph.... it can be very disappointing. Especially when you remember all the reviews you read about how response and quick the F6B is, you begin to wonder if these writers were collecting from Honda.

Anyway, bike is just 3 weeks and it's still stock. Only LED lights been added. Not sure i need seafoam right now, but will get a can to try. Maybe the bike just needs a couple more miles to break.

For those who have not been on the C14, you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ALL MISSING. Now wondering if I need 2 bikes, but cfo might have issue with that.
    Copy all. I would still perform that ECM reset....only takes 15 minutes and no interaction from you. Someone at the dealership may have not reset it properly and it made a big difference to me.
    I have no issues getting 95+, except the local Sheriff suddenly wants to have a quick conversation......

Cycle World defined the F6B as a "Heavy Cruiser" - I'm sure the C14 is not in that category.
    Caveat - been looking at a C14 for the lean angle as a third bike to teach the Advanced Rider Course on....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

I guess I don't get around enough!

My "break in" was a 350 mile ride home on I-95 and ---coming off a V Twin I was scared to death that I was going to get a ticket. I had the hardest time keeping it under 85 MPH. I am serious! Without cruise I was constantly--and subconsciously blowing by everybody racing the sun to get home. Comparing the B to the Kawi is like eating a lemon and orange at the same time. They both have their place but they are not the same other than both being fruit with seeds.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    My "break in" was a 350 mile ride home on I-95 and ---coming off a V Twin I was scared to death that I was going to get a ticket. I had the hardest time keeping it under 85 MPH. I am serious! Without cruise I was constantly--and subconsciously blowing by everybody racing the sun to get home. Comparing the B to the Kawi is like eating a lemon and orange at the same time. They both have their place but they are not the same other than both being fruit with seeds.
    Which is the lemon?
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10