Memorial Weekend motorcycle vacation ended before it really gets started
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Weekend motorcycle vacation ended before it really gets started

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Memorial Weekend motorcycle vacation ended before it really gets started

Road today with about 7 friends to Wisconsin Dells Wisconsin to spend the next couple days riding the beautiful countryside.
    After checking into the motel, Road up to the local gas station to buy some Necessities for the evening.
    When I came back I notice if someone had taken my parking space so I had to go around them and make it tight turn into the next parking space. Embarrassed to say but I turned a little bit too tight and kind of Jack knifed the front and it went down on the right side. My aero pegs were extended and it landed on the aero Peg and rip the bolts almost all the way out of the head and it immediately started losing oil out from underneath the head.
    Adjuster has been called and the bike is getting towed 170 miles back home tomorrow and my vacation will be over. LOL will have to wait till early next week till an adjuster comes out and looks at it before I take it to a shop.
    How bad do you think I screwed things up?
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Drive out to Burlington and give Rivco the bill for the damage the Aero pegs did to your bike.

These pegs are a bad design and you are not the first customer to get bit by them.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Drive out to Burlington and give Rivco the bill for the damage the Aero pegs did to your bike.

These pegs are a bad design and you are not the first customer to get bit by them.
    Shortly after introduction some else had the identical problem. The persons bike fell to its left side while stopped. The pegs were extended and the impact ripped the mounting thread bosses from the head causing a oil leak. They posted a picture of the damage and shortly thereafter the entire "post/thread" of the incident disappeared Newer versions of the pegs are supposedly designed with a "notch" machined into the foot lever as a means for the lever to "snap off" in the event of a "fall over".

Thank you. Anyone know whether head is salvageable?
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Damn, I'm here bitching about bad weather. Sorry to hear that.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Thank you. Anyone know whether head is salvageable?
    I don't think your head is ruined. The valve cover just needs to be replaced,

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

So sorry to hear that!

As a fellow Aeropeg user, it seems that every time I stopped someplace, someone with a GL1800 of some variety had a story to tell about their Aeropeg drama.
    "Most" of the time, it was "only" the valve cover, but a few times, some people stated that they really screwed things up.
    Hopefully yours is the former.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I requested that Revco make just the blacked out (and/or chrome) cover plates as an additional product line for those that want to black out their bikes.
    No pegs, just a blacked out cosmetic plate.
    They had no interest, nor selling a set of plates before they were milled to accept the pegs.

Sorry to hear about your mis-hap. Glad you didn't get hurt. Too bad about the bike,
    because it's a beautiful weekend for riding, here in Wi. We don't get many like this! Maybe have it towed right to the dealer.

Yep, I grabbed my bike for balance while putting on rubber boots to go feed the horses. Quite embarrassed to knock it over & it landing on the aero peg. It's like $380.00 for the valve cover & $120.00 for the dealer to put it on. I'm now careful to put my peg in every time I stop. Kept the same pegs on it. It is one of those sick feelings to knock it over & see oil leaking.