Memorial Weekend motorcycle vacation ended before it really gets started - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Weekend motorcycle vacation ended before it really gets started

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    F&CK That! Order the parts and do it yourself...
    "The pegs were extended and the impact ripped the mounting thread bosses from the head causing a oil leak." posted by Bob109. I have a $500.00 deductible, my concern is that it could be more than just a valve cover that I might not notice if I replaced the cover myself and I know I could do it.
    When things like this happen, you don't remember things, I don't remember shutting the engine off, did I wait till it was righted and went that 5 ft to the parking spot or what. W/fresh Mobil 1 synthetic, it should have been ok, but I don't know, I'm not a trained motorcycle mechanic. I am going to spend $500.00 either way, the insurance company can pay for a professional to make it right.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    "The pegs were extended and the impact ripped the mounting thread bosses from the head causing a oil leak." posted by Bob109. I have a $500.00 deductible, my concern is that it could be more than just a valve cover that I might not notice if I replaced the cover myself and I know I could do it.
    When things like this happen, you don't remember things, I don't remember shutting the engine off, did I wait till it was righted and went that 5 ft to the parking spot or what. W/fresh Mobil 1 synthetic, it should have been ok, but I don't know, I'm not a trained motorcycle mechanic. I am going to spend $500.00 either way, the insurance company can pay for a professional to make it right.
    And the bottom line is you have to do what makes you comfortable and gives you peace of mind for the long haul.
    No worries.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Called local Honda steelership and was quoted appx $1,300.00 for right side valve cover, gasket and labor. Seems like a person w/some skills concerning wrenching should be able to do this.
    Partzilla is your friend! Cylinder Head Cover $235.64......Head Cover Gasket $16.62......Lower Cover $123.68........$375.94 Parts Total

If it's only the Head Cover this is not a complex repair IMHO

See Attached

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...VER/parts.html

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Partzilla is your friend! Cylinder Head Cover $235.64......Head Cover Gasket $16.62......Lower Cover $123.68

See Attached

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...VER/parts.html
    Yep and it really is an easy job to change them out.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I have no doubt that I could do it and I have the time but not the inclination. Basically 400.00 for parts, to my door plus oil change and my time, lets call it 500.00. I also have a scratch on the top of the bag and their is the reimbursement to someone for hauling the bike to my house on Memorial weekend. I also have a buggered up Rivco peg and not to mention that I am not a mechanic and what if there is a problem w/the head or something else... I have to pay the $500.00 deductible; I want to get it done right and everything fixed and everybody paid for their services.
    Would be a different story if it was a $1,000.00 deductible, I would do it myself.

The day I got my B, the owner of the dealership told me he also rode a B and he gave me the story about a lady tipping his over while fueling it at a gas station. She clipped the back of the bike and it fell over and his Rivco pegs were down. Ever since then, I make it a point to retract them every time I take my feet off.

After all of that however, when I was changing the rear tire, I broke the driver peg mount laying it over on it's side----and I did that one on purpose.

Moral of the story, anytime a 800+ lb bike goes on it's side, very little good comes from it. Then I think back to my early crashes on my XL 125 and CB 350 back in the 70's. I got up after going down at 50+ MPH---bent the bars back straight---kick started it and rode it back home. Motorcycles sure have changed.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can at LEAST take the valve cover off and look. If the bosses in the head are fine... you are golden and you'll save much money. Think how much beer you could buy; with the difference...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

You can at LEAST take the valve cover off and look. If the bosses in the head are fine... you are golden and you'll save much money. Think how much beer you could buy; with the difference...
    Not saving a cent by doing it myself, still cost me roughly 500.00 and my time. I took it to the steelership this morning.

Not saving a cent by doing it myself, still cost me roughly 500.00 and my time. I took it to the steelership this morning.
    Hope they don't damage anything else on the bike... your experience may vary. I'd rather have a sucking chest wound than take my bike into the dealers around here....

Good luck

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Hope they don't damage anything else on the bike... your experience may vary. I'd rather have a sucking chest wound than take my bike into the dealers around here....

Good luck
    I have had my bike their before, brake recall, replace fork seals, they did ok. Got a return text from Rivco concerning my experience w/the pegs, they will sell me a pair of the "pegs" that pull out, $70.00.