Whats F6 drone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats F6 drone?

Whats F6 drone?

I've never ridden one of these yet, but I hear the odd referral to a "drone"...... is it with stock or aftermarket exhaust set up?

Are you familiar with bagpipes?
    The three pipes coming out of the bag that the piper is not actively playing are called "drones."
    At pressure, they emit a tunable frequency and when they're out of tune, it can be epically awful.

Some people hear an irritating noise / "musical" note in several aftermarket exhausts on the F6B and the Wing when the bike is at speed at constant RPM, say cruising at 60mph.
    Not all people hear it even with the same exhaust systems.

I'm running stock and I don't have it.
    I've a sound freq meter app on my phone (I'm a sound engineer) and I have nothing that stands out.
    If I ever run into someone with a "drone", I want to ride bitch and take readings when they hear it to see what which freq it is.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Not to toss something that doesn't belong, but I get a drone with my full face helmet on, but it's NOT the bike, just that helmet. My bike is all stock. I've posted here and might be one of two others that have the same thing going on. Mine is between 50-60. Below, nothing....above, nothing. Sounds like a bumble bee in my head. It's strictly my highway helmet for that reason.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I think the drone is more of a "hum" or a "woooo" when you're at steady speed. It is amplified (as previously remarked) by a full faced (or even 3/4) helmets. I wear disposable foam earplugs as a result. My tinnitus is pretty bad as is...

My exhaust is stock.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Same similar comments about the "drone". With the Cobra pipes on my bike the drone is more noticeable with my face shield down on my Shoei helmet. Hardly noticeable with my open face 3/4 HJC helmet, which I use around town and on shorter rides..On the highway with the Shoei shield down, if the drone starts to bother me I either flip up the shield or change throttle speeds. Going into my 4th season of riding, the so-called "drone" has not become an issue for me.....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Flhfxd View Post
    I've never ridden one of these yet, but I hear the odd referral to a "drone"...... is it with stock or aftermarket exhaust set up?
    For clarity, the drone we're discussing is a very resonant and annoying tone or hum. It's usually noticed more at certain speeds and especially when that speed is held constant for longer periods.

I'm not aware of any drone complaints with stock exhaust. That's not to say drone doesn't exist but it's masked by the muffler. When you install an aftermarket exhaust or slip-ons, the masking is greatly reduced and that's when drone complaints begin to surface. Also, wind noise can mask drone. The more wind noise, resulting either from windscreen or helmet design, the less you'll probably notice drone. Finally, a common "cure" for drone is the addition of Torq Loopz. As you may know, Loopz eliminate the catalytic converter and some associated piping. A common theory is that drone is generated in that area so perhaps eliminating that explains why Loopz help reduce or eliminate drone.
    Ken (Hornblower)

My '15 had the drone with the stock exhaust. Even more noticeable with a FF, but still annoying as hell with an open face helmet. And this is with ear plugs. I went with the Torque Loopz and the TBR mufflers, and couldnt be happier with the result.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    My '15 had the drone with the stock exhaust. Even more noticeable with a FF, but still annoying as hell with an open face helmet. And this is with ear plugs. I went with the Torque Loopz and the TBR mufflers, and couldnt be happier with the result.
    What actually dissipated the drone? The Torque Loops or the Two Brothers Racing Exhaust? Or does it take a combo of both?

I would like to get rid of the drone as well... I have always stood firm on not touching the exhaust system on this bike; after redoing so many other bikes exhaust systems that I have had.

But... maybe I'll entertain Torque Loops only if by themselves; they will completely negate the drone. They seem such a pain in the ass to install though. And yes.. I am mechanically inclined to do the work... I'm just tired of wrenching on bikes at this point of my life. I want to ride more; than wrench...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My two cents worth

I test drove the 2014,2015,2016 F6B. The 2015 and the 2016, both with stock systems and stock windshield, had the drone. Love the sound at idle but could not stand it at highway speeds. I do wear a modular helmet.

I ended up buying a new 2014 in May 2016 to avoid the drone. Really wish I had the cruise that come on the later models.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    I test drove the 2014,2015,2016 F6B. The 2015 and the 2016, both with stock systems and stock windshield, had the drone. Love the sound at idle but could not stand it at highway speeds. I do wear a modular helmet.
    Wow, that's interesting to know. I have a '13 and thought maybe I wanted the louder stock pipes. Now, maybe not ....

Good info for us - thanks!
    Albuquerque, NM