Garmin/Basecamp

Thread: Garmin/Basecamp

Garmin/Basecamp

Got my new/refurbished Garmin 390 and for the most part just have been using to get from point A to B. I have been charged w/planning the ride to Russellville and our plan is to take the Great River road, along the Mississippi from Pepin Wi to St Lewis and the catch 44/ Old Route 66 west of St Louis. A lot of 44 is built over Route 66 but it appears that their are still stretches of Old 66 along the way so we will want to get off and run that for nostalgic purposes. I spent hours plotting this thing out w/waypoints on and off of the Great River Road and 44, had about 120 waypoints, but haven't figured out how to convert that to a route w/basecamp. Using that little pencil to tie waypoints together doesn't work to well for me. Any advise would be appreciated.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

I feel your pain......

Basecamp is not the most intuitive or user friendly piece of software out there, so I definitely feel your pain. The good news is that it's pretty easy from where you are now.

If you have made all the required waypoints, they should be visible in the column on the left of the screen in the lower part of the left column - column heading will be something like :BaseCampXXXXXX".

Highlight all of the waypoints that you want to include in your route (select the first one and then hold the shift key while you select the last one). Don't worry if they are not in the correct order at this stage. Once you have them selected, right click within the highlighted area of the waypoints you have selected and there is a popup menu choice that says "Create route from waypoints". Once you select this, another dialog box will open that shows your route, listing each individual waypoint that you have previously selected.

If the waypoints are not in the correct order, they can easily be moved up or down in the list. First, make sure only one of the waypoints in the list are selected (by default, when the dialog box is first opened, they are all selected). To make sure only one is selected, just click one of the points once or twice, until the blue highlighting leaves the other points and is only on the one point you just selected. Select (one at a time) any of the points you want to move, and then just drag them up or down the list to get them in the right order. As you move the point, you will see a blue line moving up or down the list to show you where your point will move to if you drop it at that time. Once you've done this, you have a completed route that can be transferred to your GPS.

I hope this is clear enough - if you need any more help, shoot me an email (tmac99@me.com) and we can maybe got on the phone and walk you through it.

Good luck.

For me the easiest thing for me to do is create the route in google maps, save it as a kml file, and upload it into basecamp. The other program I use is the Harley ride planner online which lets you create the route in a gpx file and upload it directly to your gps or save it and open it up in basecamp so that you can upload it to the gps.

both google maps and Harley ride planner are much easier for me to create the initial route and just transfer it over.

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    For me the easiest thing for me to do is create the route in google maps, save it as a kml file, and upload it into basecamp. The other program I use is the Harley ride planner online which lets you create the route in a gpx file and upload it directly to your gps or save it and open it up in basecamp so that you can upload it to the gps.

both google maps and Harley ride planner are much easier for me to create the initial route and just transfer it over.
    This is a great tip, thanks
    Riding the upward spiral.

Thank you guys for the tips, being somewhat old and feeble minded, first hand experience is best for me.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Basecamp GRRRRR!

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post

I have also been tasked with planning a Route 66 trip. Basecamp is frustrating me to no end. I tried Using Google Maps buuuut...It seems this was only possible with the old Google Maps (most recently known as Google Maps Classic or Google Lite) not with the newest version.

Well, It seems Google has now eliminated the Google Maps Classic altogether so I'm SOL....

My question is if anyone has a comprehensive map of Route 66 in it's entirety saved somewhere that they can email to me....

Thanks,
    William A.

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"

~Hunter S. Thompson

how about googling for a map that has already been completed

don't have a Garmin to test with but here is a page with a GPX file

http://route66maps.com/GPSWaypointFiles.htm
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    don't have a Garmin to test with but here is a page with a GPX file

http://route66maps.com/GPSWaypointFiles.htm
    Thank you...I will give it a try....
    William A.

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"

~Hunter S. Thompson

Base Camp is frustrating in the beginning, very much so but has a huge learning curve one you start to figure it out. Read the tutorials, they help. Make a start point and an end point, use the pencil you talk about to choose your shaping points in between, you do know you click on the route first and then drag it over to the new point right? Know how to "go back" and how to use the eraser. Use intersections to click on and it will be shaping points rather than way points and then they will not alert. Alert can be turned off in the list that was mentioned if you end up with one. I see no reason to build it in Google or HD first then convert just learn to use Base Camp. Turn all the restrictions off like "avoid interstates" or "choose curvy roads" and just go with "fastest time". Get someone you can call you when you have a question, that is a huge help. Good luck but that route sounds like a big job for a beginning Road Captain.

Google my maps

I use the google my maps , not google map. Then you can upload a kml to desktop, then import the track to basecamp, right click it and make it a route. Then send to the garmin.
    There is a tutorial on youtube by some english fellow. I wish they spoke American. He goes really fast but you can pause it.