Way to go Harley, what would 2017 be w/o a recall - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Harley, what would 2017 be w/o a recall

Quote Originally Posted by xgringo View Post
    Just for fun, here is a link to a Harley Thread entitled "Why Do I Hate Goldwings?"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-g...goldwings.html
    They have a lot of Wing supporters over there.

Like the comment about Wings not riding in the rain. I can't ever recall seeing a Wing being trailered to and from a motorcycle show unless it was the one pulling the trailer (in the rain).

harley recall

This is funny shit ,the balls on fire.Buddy of mine wanted to go ridin couple weeks ago,I took the lead with the B.We're bout 80 miles in and he pulls up saying his ass is on fire.So we stop bout 15 miles later.He gets off that bike and literally is jumping up and down cause of the heat on his ass.Oh, I forgot to mention he's on a sportster.I told'em if he is gonna ride much he better get a different ride.Also he had been making snide remarks to a guy on a silverwing,he didnt pop off when the silverwing guy aced the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Blk6bgg6 View Post
    This is funny shit ,the balls on fire.Buddy of mine wanted to go ridin couple weeks ago,I took the lead with the B.We're bout 80 miles in and he pulls up saying his ass is on fire.So we stop bout 15 miles later.He gets off that bike and literally is jumping up and down cause of the heat on his ass.Oh, I forgot to mention he's on a sportster.I told'em if he is gonna ride much he better get a different ride.Also he had been making snide remarks to a guy on a silverwing,he didnt pop off when the silverwing guy aced the ride
    Get caught in traffic and it's unbearable, if and when I get too old and feeble for the "B" I would pick up a Silverwing in a second.

I do hate the consumer based R&D, but then again, pretty much everything is. My heartburn is once the R&D has been done, freaking fix the issue for a change! I won't be getting a new HD with the M8 anytime soon, but I will say maintenance and care makes a huge difference on perception. Neither my shovelhead or panhead mark thier territory, and neither are out of oil. Just saying.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    I do hate the consumer based R&D, but then again, pretty much everything is. My heartburn is once the R&D has been done, freaking fix the issue for a change! I won't be getting a new HD with the M8 anytime soon, but I will say maintenance and care makes a huge difference on perception. Neither my shovelhead or panhead mark thier territory, and neither are out of oil. Just saying.

Mike
    That's true, regardless of manufacturer.

The 2015 Bs have some beefier transmission parts compared to my 2013, for example. A non-mechanical example, the 2015s+ have cruise control, mine doesn't.

My 2006 Apex sled was on the trail R & D for Yamaha. The cut out all but two grease zerks and used "permanently sealed" bushings in the suspension to try to shave a few ounces of weight. I was replacing those bushings every fall until I gave up and traded it in. They also used me and others to experiment with titanium Y pipes...which tended to crack and break every couple of years. Titanium ain't cheap.

I do have a question about Harley...how in the world are they able to meet EPA regs with air-cooled engines?!?!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

The 2015 Bs have some beefier transmission parts compared to my 2013, for example. A non-mechanical example, the 2015s+ have cruise control, mine doesn't.

I do have a question about Harley...how in the world are they able to meet EPA regs with air-cooled engines?!?!

Adding features one by one is usually a marketing tool to entice buyers to trade up every few years. Same reason clothing styles change.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Adding features one by one is usually a marketing tool to entice buyers to trade up every few years. Same reason clothing styles change.
    Point taken.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

My 2006 Apex sled was on the trail R & D for Yamaha. The cut out all but two grease zerks and used "permanently sealed" bushings in the suspension to try to shave a few ounces of weight. I was replacing those bushings every fall until I gave up and traded it in. They also used me and others to experiment with titanium Y pipes...which tended to crack and break every couple of years. Titanium ain't cheap.

At worse that's a pain in the ass, the Apex thing, but that's more a sub par part rather than, like this recall, a safety issue from an improperly installed part which resulted in crashes, last year it was brake lines failing without warning but in 2014 they were engaging without warning initiating NHTSA investigation covering 430,000 bikes. They recalled 10 times as many motorcycles in 2014 as they did in 2013 and 2015 312,000 bikes were recalled for clutches that won't disengage causing them to stay in gear. These are MAJOR safety issues, there is something systemically wrong at Harleys quality control, production line, R&D etc..

By continuing to lean out the mixuture at highway speeds. This accounts for the additional heat generated. Thus the need for the wet heads, oil or water.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    The Milwaukee 8, the reason why I traded my Road Glide Custom in for the F6B was because it was frying my balls at idle with the 103 c.i. engine so the new 107 should really put it on broil. Indian and Harley can duke it out with the cubic inch war, without any consideration for thermal evacuation, till they kill themselves I'll be nice and cool on my "B". If I'm not mistaken you have to pull the tank off on the new motor to change the plugs - genius.
    That is one of the many reasons I sold my Street Glide 103.
    Liked the seating potion. But thought about the frog in the water.
    And how you turn up the flame until he relies he is cooking.