Way to go Harley, what would 2017 be w/o a recall - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Harley, what would 2017 be w/o a recall

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    By continuing to lean out the mixuture at highway speeds. This accounts for the additional heat generated. Thus the need for the wet heads, oil or water.

Mike
    Cooling the heads on these motors is like spraying a water gun on a bonfire besides I can lower the temperature by 10-15 degrees just by taking the lowers OFF these idiots want you to put the lowers on to cool the heads off that are getting restricted air flow because the lowers are on to cool the heads that are getting restricted air flow because the lowers are on to cool the heads that are getting restricted air flow because the lowers are on to cool the heads because they are getting restricted air flow SLAP OK I snapped out of it.

Dual plugged heads will help the emissions, plus should be able to retard the timing a touch, which will help with heat.

The lowers are great for cutting wind and rain off your legs, but yeah, they sure help hold the heat in the pocket, that's for sure! I normally took them off in the summer. But, the new water cooled models are permanent, they house the radiators.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Dual plugged heads will help the emissions, plus should be able to retard the timing a touch, which will help with heat.

The lowers are great for cutting wind and rain off your legs, but yeah, they sure help hold the heat in the pocket, that's for sure! I normally took them off in the summer. But, the new water cooled models are permanent, they house the radiators.

Mike
    Yeap here is what they look like in a parts diagram. I just wounder why HD did not cool the whole head like Honda did with the VTX1800 and only cooled the exhaust ports.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I have owned two VStar 1100s, and have been stuck in traffic with them many times. These are strictly "free air" motors...no cooling mechanisms whatever, besides the fins.

Yet, these engines never got hot, at least not enough to be uncomfortable. Go figure.

The Chieftain I rented in Texas through some heat in traffic...not terrible, but definitely more noticeable than the Yammie...and this was in November.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I have trouble understanding the H-D bashing here. Aren't we all simply passionate bikers? I've owned four Harleys and liked each for different reasons. The new generation bikes are really huge steps forward. Love my F6B-- for now. If everyone had exactly the same interests and same motorcycle, wouldn't that be dull? Enjoy diversity!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I have trouble understanding the H-D bashing here. Aren't we all simply passionate bikers? I've owned four Harleys and liked each for different reasons. The new generation bikes are really huge steps forward. Love my F6B-- for now. If everyone had exactly the same interests and same motorcycle, wouldn't that be dull? Enjoy diversity!
    It's not bashing. It's constructive criticism.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

If I recall (ha ha), the Goldwings have had recalls as well. I'm actually considering going to look at a new Ultra Classic. I think a lot of people just get sucked into believing you have to spend a ton of money on Harleys because others do. You can spend a ton of money on anything you chose to. Like someone else said, it's kind of a passion and we all have that in common.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

I have owned all kinds and still do

Along with the Valkyrie, I have a chromed out 01 Springer. I have owned HD, Honda, Victory and been on all of the boards. I like riding different bikes. The "thump from a Harley" is still special---but I don't want to feel it for 10 hours straight like I used too. I also love the "Stealth Power" of the 1800 flat six. Still on the board here even though the B is long gone. One thing is common on all the boards except the Harley board. Everybody hates Harley--for more reasons than I can ever begin to list. Funny thing is that many HD guys will tell you that Harley is not even close to being the best made or designed bike. They love it for what it is--like an old dog that is way past his prime. I guess that is also the way I think.

Does not matter what letters are between your knees---it is still the same wind in your face.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Not bashing if you plunked down $ to own it, no one complains about Harley more than the people who own one, like myself, and have for over 30 years. The new bikes are a huge step forward...in generating more heat, yes. We say this precisely because we do care about the brand and see it going into auto destructuion. Another top down company that does not listen to the most important input you can have...the people who buy them and like me and other former and present HD owners on this board we will not buy them again. As far as dull Honda has many different models. If diversity means spending a ton of money to cook your balls and ruin a ride if you get caught in traffic I'll pass on diversity.

The VTX 1800 motor

My 2007 vtx1800 r never ever had heatAttachment 25615 issues. Water and air cooled, no shaky shaky either. Tons of tourqe. Felt faster than the B but i know it wasn't.