"chirping noise" What is it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "chirping noise" What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    +1
    My scoot shifts so smooth I wounder sometimes if it is really an automatic trans and I'm just going through the motions of changing gears to feel good.
    As far as any "Chirping" nope....none...natha out of my F6B, just what I'd conceder normal sounds only.
    +1 When I'm riding it hard and pushing it, sometimes shift down fast and in the gas during switchback maneuvers and the rear wheel chirps, but not a hint of clunk from my transmission. I wonder if there are some machining tolerance differences during production?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Cool

IMHO to get clean shifts run the RPM's up to about 4K and shift to the next gear. Mine as well is like butter but if your new to this bike and have shifted at 2K in the past one may not be in the power band and making smooth shifts. Also changing foot wear can cause an issue until one is used to them as well.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

chirp, clunk

Quote Originally Posted by Wavalk View Post
    The pipes are stock. I noticed on the forum that "Seadog" posted that he was having the same issue. I sent him a message inquiring if he found a fix. Hopefully I'll here back from him soon. I did install a belly pan on the bike. I'm wondering if i"m getting some kind of harmonic vibration from it. I may take it off and see if the noise goes away. Other than this noise and the somewhat clunky gears, I love the performance of this bike.
    I don't get the chirp so much as a buzz sound from the plastic near the dash at around 3500 rpm. The trans does clunk harshly like a Harley. This really surprised me as I've had Hondas before and they shifted smooth as glass. Putting pressure on the shifter and shifting closer to 4k rpm does seem to help as well as not being a lazy shifter. You would think that mother Honda would have put the DCT on the Goldwing's first. I'd loose my A$$ and trade my 2015 in to get one of those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What are you running for a windshield? I know the tall OEM shield rubbed and squeaked in the L corner on the glareshield. I put additional weather stripping there and it stopped.

Mike

Using Mobil 1 has improved the shift feel on mine by 50%. I now no longer complain about it, but still do not think it is very good.

I wouldn't describe it as clunky; rather, notchy, stiff and unnatural. After shifting up, I sometimes doubt whether it fully engaged the gear because of the feeling it reciprocates.

I find that the rpms that you shift at do not matter as much as rolling on the throttle with some authority between gears. Maybe that is just how I compensate. I typically shift at 1800-2500 rpm.

What these guys say about revving to 3000+ between shifts is true...that is where it shifts the most smoothly...but...that is often not practical in traffic or between lights. That is my opinion.

My VStar 1100 reciprocated a true satisfactory feeling of a shift between gears...fluid movement, reassuring mechanical engagement feeling and smooth response when throttle is re-applied. Of course, this is a bike that has half the power of the F6B.

I know I have some play in the throttle that I need to address, which I think contributes to my shifting issues.

Using Mobil 1 engine oil has made the biggest difference for the better, overall.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Check your center glove box, empty it , go for a ride. Empty left fairing pocket, go for a ride. Same with both saddle bags. Lastly check front fender for chaffing and broken mounting tabs. If you wear a helmet and it has a visor check the mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Using Mobil 1 has improved the shift feel on mine by 50%. I now no longer complain about it, but still do not think it is very good.

I wouldn't describe it as clunky; rather, notchy, stiff and unnatural. After shifting up, I sometimes doubt whether it fully engaged the gear because of the feeling it reciprocates.

I find that the rpms that you shift at do not matter as much as rolling on the throttle with some authority between gears. Maybe that is just how I compensate. I typically shift at 1800-2500 rpm.

What these guys say about revving to 3000+ between shifts is true...that is where it shifts the most smoothly...but...that is often not practical in traffic or between lights. That is my opinion.

My VStar 1100 reciprocated a true satisfactory feeling of a shift between gears...fluid movement, reassuring mechanical engagement feeling and smooth response when throttle is re-applied. Of course, this is a bike that has half the power of the F6B.

I know I have some play in the throttle that I need to address, which I think contributes to my shifting issues.

Using Mobil 1 engine oil has made the biggest difference for the better, overall.
    You need to put some miles on your F6B and the shifting issues you feel you have will go away....I have tried most oils in my bike and Mobil 1 made no difference than the Rotella T-6 I am currently using....You will never get the F6B to shift like you wish it would unless you raise the revs to at least 3 to 4 thousand between shifts. I kind of feel from some of your previous posts that your in "reality" more a Yamaha V-Star fan than your current bike...JMHO and I hope you learn to really appreciate the benefits of the F6B....Ride safe

I would just have to ride someone else's bike, because I swear no matter what RPM I shift my bike at, I just can't say it ever feels or sounds clunky.

I've always ran Honda oil since new. It's just too convenient to run down to my Honda dealer and get the filter and oil plus new crush washer. 2 miles from my house.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I would just have to ride someone else's bike, because I swear no matter what RPM I shift my bike at, I just can't say it ever feels or sounds clunky.

I've always ran Honda oil since new. It's just too convenient to run down to my Honda dealer and get the filter and oil plus new crush washer. 2 miles from my house.
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Wavalk View Post
    Hello, Question for the experience F6B owners. My 2015 F6B with 1200 miles, makes an unusual "chirping" sound during acceleration and while maintaining a constant speed. I don't rear it upon deceleration. Is this the "drone" noise everyone refers too. Anybody have a fix for this other than a good set of ear plugs?

Thanks

Wavalk AKA Brian
    I think that is an audio phenomena and comes from the audio system. Next time you hear it will your radio or mp3 player be on?