Africa Twin - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Africa Twin

Chain drives are a pain in the arse!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Chain drives can be a pain to maintain, especially if you drive in the wet frequently. I've been using DuPont teflon lubricant on my DR's chain... cheap stuff and doesn't attract dirt like chain waxes

I've looked at the Scott oiler but If I was so inclined, I would rather use the Tuturo oiler system, less complicated and would be the ideal solution for me if I ran in the wet.

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/
    I have a new CB500X that I purchased in May of this year, and although it is a great bike all around, having to clean the chain after doing dusty roads or gravel roads, they just sort of are a pain in the arse at the end of the day! If you don't clean them, they make a lot of noise and wear quickly. I would purchase a new Triumph Bonneville T120 if it had a belt drive for sure.

I have used an automatic chain oiler system when I had a Kawasaki W650 years back. I can't remember what type of oil I used in the system, but it was always throwing oil off the chain and on to the chrome wheel. So I would constantly be wiping off the wheel because the oil would attract dirt like a magnet. What I did like about the system, is that it would fling off dirt from the chain, and the chain always looked clean and was well lubbed. I had used the recommended oil for the system, and had it turned up to the max setting for automatic oiling of the chain. Oh well, if someone would just come up with a belt type system that would fit right on the stock sprocket system, I would be all over that one!

Regarding the DCT. I had considered trading in the F6B for a VFR1200X...very rare cross touring bike. I was going to buy one with the DCT, then I started getting the complication of adding electronic cruise control, so I bailed out and didn't buy the bike. I may go with the Triumph 1200 Tiger, since that has cruise control available. African Twin IS KULE though!

Yes, I think that there is a certain amount of finesse required, when setting up an automatic chain oiler. I've really researched them on other M/C message boards at length... and have seen successful operation of them with minimal mess. The secret is to just getting the flow right. Too often people want instant gratification with oiling the chain = instant mess.

Slow and sparingly is the key to the metering out of the oil in these systems. Ultimately it produces less fling and is very adequate in keeping the chain clean.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I run a Pro Oiler on my CTX700 DCT. Flawless operation. Easy connection and routing, I use the tach input rather than the GPS module. It dispenses a preset amount of oil every X miles, and you can easily adjust the amount of oil you want to use. I run it fairly low most of the time (weather in Ventura is rarely wet, and rarely are the roads that dirty), but turn it up with a few button pushes when I do hit rain or dirt. It's a positive displacement system, so it works with just about any oil - I use the leftover 10W40 from my oil changes (a change takes 3.6 quarts, and 0.4 quarts will last me about 8000 miles - time for a new oil change!).

Love the unit! Idiot proof, and I got 34,000 miles out of my chain - unheard of in the Ventura area (the dealer was astounded - even the sprockets still looked good). Yeah, I have some oil fling on the rim and the underside of the bike, but I ride - it's not a weekend show piece (36K miles so far, in 2 years - with 10 of those 24 months having me overseas and not riding).

Shaft drive

unsub, I'm with you on the shaft drive. I really don't even consider a bike unless it's shaft.
    The Africa Twin is just so freaking cool..! Yamaha is my # 2 choice as far as ultimate reliability.
    The Super Tenere has proven to be pretty much bulletproof. Shaft, cruise, electronic suspension.
    Very seriously considered getting one, then Honda brought the Crosstourer to the US , and the Africa twinn came out.
    For now I wanted to own just one bike. Ultimately I went to the bike I've been in love with for several years... the "B".
    Test ride a 1200 Crosstourer..., shaft, single sided swing arm, available DCT and a marvelous engine, I guarantee you'll fall in love with the motor..! Lack of cruise , lower body protection & standard accessories turned me away though.

Quote Originally Posted by soupbean View Post
    unsub, I'm with you on the shaft drive. I really don't even consider a bike unless it's shaft.
    The Africa Twin is just so freaking cool..! Yamaha is my # 2 choice as far as ultimate reliability.
    The Super Tenere has proven to be pretty much bulletproof. Shaft, cruise, electronic suspension.
    Very seriously considered getting one, then Honda brought the Crosstourer to the US , and the Africa twinn came out.
    For now I wanted to own just one bike. Ultimately I went to the bike I've been in love with for several years... the "B".
    Test ride a 1200 Crosstourer..., shaft, single sided swing arm, available DCT and a marvelous engine, I guarantee you'll fall in love with the motor..! Lack of cruise , lower body protection & standard accessories turned me away though.
    That's why I keep going back to "look" at the Super T. To me so far, it checks all the boxes. I'm eager to read will's thoughts in a report though.

Never say never.

Africa Twin

Anyone got one? I'm getting new M/C fever... been a little enthralled by this model. Two offerings; regular clutch and the DCT... amazing how the DCT works.

Been checking them out at one of the local Stealerships lately

Not trading in my F6B of course and I am keeping my DR650... but I think the African Twin is pretty cool

Good job Honda

https://powersports.honda.com/africa...0%2Btwin_pmt_b
    willtill, I thought this would be a nice dirt bike with little street ability when it was introduced. It's more according to ride reports from the 2 owners I recently spoke with in Alaska. One talk was in passing, yes it was good on the interstate and he would buy it again, and the other I camped near at the Arctic Circle. I asked him if it was an automatic and he held up his left hand and said he might as well cut it off if it was. Karl was on a 3 week ride and was pleased with all day riding - on the stock seat. That stock seat does not look like it would be comfortable to me. Anyway I saw him after he got back from Dead Horse and no surprise that it performed great in rough conditions. I think it's good candidate for a round the world bike, fuel injection and all.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    That's why I keep going back to "look" at the Super T. To me so far, it checks all the boxes. I'm eager to read will's thoughts in a report though.

Never say never.

I traded 2014 Ten for my '14 B.
    The Ten is an awesome bike. Tons of addons available. Super reliable.

Needs a couple fixes imo.
    1) Better windscreen--Madstad fixed that.
    2) I got numbness in my right hand. Cruise control helped some.
    3) Seat wore on my butt by 200 miles.
    3.5) Can't turn ABS off readily. Screws with locking up rear tire for slides.
    4) Biggest problem--I found myself riding on lone, gravelly or rutted dirt roads by myself. It's too damn tempting in the Ten kitted with knobbies and bars to explore. I got bit hard last year when I fell and injured my shoulder. Knew then and there that that bike was going to get me maimed or killed.

https://flic.kr/p/XTJe1F
    https://flic.kr/p/WQkNrd
    https://flic.kr/p/WQkNC5

Anyone got one? I'm getting new M/C fever... been a little enthralled by this model. Two offerings; regular clutch and the DCT... amazing how the DCT works.

Been checking them out at one of the local Stealerships lately

Not trading in my F6B of course and I am keeping my DR650... but I think the African Twin is pretty cool

Good job Honda

https://powersports.honda.com/africa...0%2Btwin_pmt_b
    I took my wife and teenage kids to a "dirt 101" course this past weekend. Had an instructor teach us the basics of dirt biking on small Honda CRF's..... Everybody loved it, and now I have the bug for another bike. Need to decide what exactly I would do with it, as I'm drawn to a true dirt bike (CRF250 or similar) but realize that a streetable "adventure" type bike might be the way to go. I have to ask Will, aren't the DR650 and the AF Twin pretty much made for the same "experience"? Or are they different enough to justify both? I just wouldn't see myself riding the old school one much, if I had the new AF Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    I took my wife and teenage kids to a "dirt 101" course this past weekend. Had an instructor teach us the basics of dirt biking on small Honda CRF's..... Everybody loved it, and now I have the bug for another bike. Need to decide what exactly I would do with it, as I'm drawn to a true dirt bike (CRF250 or similar) but realize that a streetable "adventure" type bike might be the way to go. I have to ask Will, aren't the DR650 and the AF Twin pretty much made for the same "experience"? Or are they different enough to justify both? I just wouldn't see myself riding the old school one much, if I had the new AF Twin.
    Yes, the DR650 and the Africa Twin are both aligned in the "Dual Sport" category.

It would be hard to justify both...

Just new car (motorcycle) fever. If I were to purchase the Africa Twin.. the DR would have to go I imagine. I can't see parting with the DR though... this is most certainly a "first world problem" that I am plagued with at the moment...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537