Kill Switch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kill Switch

Circle-5

Kill Switch

To shut off the engine I just turn the key to "OFF". My neighbor owns a bunch of bikes (mostly Ducati) and he says I should always use the red kill switch instead (next to the throttle). Isn't that the same exact thing? The F6B doesn't seem to care ...

You still have to turn the key to the "Off" position to lock the wheel so it's just an extra step to me.

I think there is no need to use the kill switch. Anything will work equally. Most of time I use the kick stand.

Kill Switch Use

No harm is exercising the "Kill Switch" on occasion! Like, inadvertently, "lowering the side stand", the engine will die and return to life when switch conditions/positions are correct

Someone said ( a tech at a dealer) that you should use the kill switch exclusively for fuel injected bikes. This was for a Victory Vision however. No idea how important it really is; or if it's a requirement due to technical design of the electronics/fuel circuit...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I lurk on a lot of MC forums and this comes up every now and then. The experts say you should exercise the kill switch which I try to do every time I ride. In fact, here is a quote from a Goldwing forum from yesterday by the resident expert in answer to a bike that just shuts off.

"If tapping on the top of the kill switch makes it stutter or stall, cycle the switch in both directions about 50 times. Lack of use usually allows oxidation to build up on its contacts and flipping it off-on-off a bunch will wipe the contacts clean again.

If tapping on the switch has no affect, then it's something else and will need more troubleshooting."

ECOS

Engine Cut Off Switch (ECOS)....ahhhh yes.

In the Basic Rider Course, we teach the students "Thumb, Key" to shut down the bikes.
    This exercises their muscle memory for using the Engine Cut Off Switch and hopefully, if they ever "need" to use it, they can.
    In the BRC2 and ARC, we tell the students to ride their own ride, shut down as they see fit.

As TaxFree pointed out, yes, it's an extra step.
    The LEAN/6 Sigma part of me wholly concurs.

But then the test pilot in me kicks in.....
    - Systems and subsystems must be exercised in all positions to ensure they work and work well
    - Working vs. working well: regular exercise to ensure consistent, proper operation and avoid any oxidation build up as previously mentioned.
    - The F6B ECOS has three positions, two off and one Run

As a habit, I alternate using the Up & Down positions to turn my bike off.
    My thumb likes the pushing to the Up position for emergency training as my hand is already on the throttle and it's one movement to the left to turn off the bike.
    That's a muscle memory item I'm only too happy to have.
    And, yeah, I don't want to be that guy that has to cycle his pristine thumb switch 50x to get his bike started.
    I know mine is working well.

Also, it maybe valid to use the ECOS for fuel injected engines or not (first I've heard of that).....any of our technical types wanna jump on this one?
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

My kill switch gets exercised enough inadvertently.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Use it to exercise it and use it to train your self to know how to use it for an emergency. OK! No mechanical reason to only turn your bike off with the kill switch. Lay the bike on its side and the lean angle switch will kill the bike. Whatever.

I would think that one at times; could become preoccupied and after using the kill switch; forget to turn off the ignition. Walks away... comes back to a dead battery. Especially if you're at home.

I'll continue to use the key.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537