Quieter Exhaust for 2016 F6B?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quieter Exhaust for 2016 F6B?

Question Quieter Exhaust for 2016 F6B?

I already have a Harley; I bought the F6B for long, quiet rides. And once I added a tall windshield I got the dreaded "drone" that I now understand is endemic to the 2015-2016 models.

My question is: can I replace my 2016 mufflers with 2013-2014 mufflers or even GoldWing mufflers to make the exhaust quieter? I am in Kalifornia, so Loopz require flexible ethics at a minimum, and may even make the bike louder. But OEM mufflers? I have to imagine many or most of the people on this forum have a pair sitting on a shelf in their garage. Would they work? Add back the quiet Honda took away in 2015?

Or are there other solutions for quieting the exhaust note?

Thanks all!
    2016 F6B Deluxe • 1997 H-D FLHR

Swap

Let me know if you're interested in a swap, I have an almost new set from a 2013.
    They were only used for 3 months.
    My chrome for your black?

can I replace my 2016 mufflers with 2013-2014 mufflers
    I did exactly that on my 2015. Bought a set of chrome 2014 mufflers, chrome shields and tips off ebay. Exact fit, much quieter and no drone. I was almost ready to sell the bike the drone was so bad. The muffler change for 2015 sucked in my opinion. That was 20K miles ago and I couldn't be happier with the swap. I'd post a pic but I guess we just don't have that ability any more.

Sounds more and more like I'm going to need to pop for the TBR exhaust.

Initially it was raved about how much better the 2015-2016 exhaust sounded.. more warble and a little more guttural... I agreed but... but after running it for awhile we are all recognizing the drone.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by samwisekoi View Post
    I already have a Harley; I bought the F6B for long, quiet rides. And once I added a tall windshield I got the dreaded "drone" that I now understand is endemic to the 2015-2016 models.

My question is: can I replace my 2016 mufflers with 2013-2014 mufflers or even GoldWing mufflers to make the exhaust quieter? I am in Kalifornia, so Loopz require flexible ethics at a minimum, and may even make the bike louder. But OEM mufflers? I have to imagine many or most of the people on this forum have a pair sitting on a shelf in their garage. Would they work? Add back the quiet Honda took away in 2015?

Or are there other solutions for quieting the exhaust note?

Thanks all!
    I've got a set of chrome mufflers off of my '13 that've been in my garage for about a year now. I have the front ends taped and rags in the back end to prevent critters from making it their home. Their in good shape. They're yours if you pay shipping. Let me know.

I can email pics if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Sounds more and more like I'm going to need to pop for the TBR exhaust.

Initially it was raved about how much better the 2015-2016 exhaust sounded.. more warble and a little more guttural... I agreed but... but after running it for awhile we are all recognizing the drone.
    I wouldn't say "...we are all recognizing the drone."
    I swapped the chromies on my '14 for a set of black from a '15 and I couldn't be happier. I love the difference in the sound... more guttural as you say. And I experience no drone at all.

However, I did briefly encounter the drone with the chromies and a different windshield!
    I firmly believe the drone is rooted squarely in the acoustic harmonics created by the variances of the pipes, the windshield height and material and the rider position. I suspect that a different rider, on the same bike that another claims has the drone, may not experience it. Just my hunch.

Anyway, I won't go back to the chrome pipes.

And to the OP I would say... the chrome pipes are quieter than the black, but not by much, especially at speed. It's not like the difference you hear between pipes of two different mfgs. The real difference is the richer tone of the black. And I haven't seen a good explanation for that.

Ride safe, amigo!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    I wouldn't say "...we are all recognizing the drone."
    I swapped the chromies on my '14 for a set of black from a '15 and I couldn't be happier. I love the difference in the sound... more guttural as you say. And I experience no drone at all.

However, I did briefly encounter the drone with the chromies and a different windshield!
    I firmly believe the drone is rooted squarely in the acoustic harmonics created by the variances of the pipes, the windshield height and material and the rider position. I suspect that a different rider, on the same bike that another claims has the drone, may not experience it. Just my hunch.

Anyway, I won't go back to the chrome pipes.

And to the OP I would say... the chrome pipes are quieter than the black, but not by much, especially at speed. It's not like the difference you hear between pipes of two different mfgs. The real difference is the richer tone of the black. And I haven't seen a good explanation for that.

Ride safe, amigo!
    I agree...I do have a drone with my full face helmet on, only at certain speeds and it is harmonic in nature, nothing otherwise. Plus, if I ride right through those speeds up to highway speed, I hear nothing at all. No issue with these pipes that others have.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

It would be interesting to see what height/brand of windscreens are being used in these "drone" situations. Until this weekend, when I install the TBRs, stock shield and stock (2013) pipes. No drone issue.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what height/brand of windscreens are being used in these "drone" situations. Until this weekend, when I install the TBRs, stock shield and stock (2013) pipes. No drone issue.
    I didn't start hearing the drone until I installed the Madstad.

What's weirder is that if I wear foam earplugs with my 3/4 helmet; the drone is really irritating.

But....

If I'm not wearing earplugs, the drone is not bad but then I have the wind noise at speed.

Go figure....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I didn't start hearing the drone until I installed the Madstad.

What's weirder is that if I wear foam earplugs with my 3/4 helmet; the drone is really irritating.

But....

If I'm not wearing earplugs, the drone is not bad but then I have the wind noise at speed.

Go figure....
    Kind of the "same boat" for me..I do have a "slight drone" with the Cobra pipes at certain speeds. Not so much with the open face HJC 3/4 helmet but much more noticeable with the Shoei 3/4 and face shield down...After riding the bike, going on its 4th season, I am reasonably convinced the "drone" is a combination of the Baggershield and helmets...If I ride with no helmet and stock shield the "drone" is gone but the wind noise is terrible.....After all this time, I have become used to the sounds and plan to leave things alone. BTW, I cannot stand to wear any kind of earplugs as they drive me nuts...Had this issue for years however and my hearing to still pretty good at 77 years old!!!!......Ride safe