Shipping bike to Europe

Thread: Shipping bike to Europe

Shipping bike to Europe

I am thinking of taking my bike to Europe next summer and so far the choices I have found are to expensive ($1,500 each way) or Air Canada about $800 each way plus airfare. With Air Canada I would need to ride from the Chicago area to Toronto first. Does anybody know of a better way?
    JAYGO

Quote Originally Posted by jaygollner View Post
    I am thinking of taking my bike to Europe next summer and so far the choices I have found are to expensive ($1,500 each way) or Air Canada about $800 each way plus airfare. With Air Canada I would need to ride from the Chicago area to Toronto first. Does anybody know of a better way?
    Leave the bike at home and rent one in Europe for your riding needs...I would suppose it would be much less hassle and cheaper?...Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Leave the bike at home and rent one in Europe for your riding needs...I would suppose it would be much less hassle and cheaper?...Good Luck
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Rent the bike while Europe unless you are planning to stay in Europe for a long period of time.

Length of time motorcycle is required is the fiscal operative here.
    In England you can rent a decent sized bike (BMW 1100) for ~$120/day.
    Not sure about anywhere else. Last summer, I was gong to ride around England, Ireland and Scotland for two+ weeks and that was right on the cusp of making me think about shipping.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Since I was planning to stay at least a month the math does not favor renting, Prices I saw were over 4k.
    JAYGO

Quote Originally Posted by jaygollner View Post
    Since I was planning to stay at least a month the math does not favor renting, Prices I saw were over 4k.
    Is it necessary to ride every day???...Seems to me a week or so would be sufficient time to see what one needs to see...JMHO and I hope things work out for you...Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Is it necessary to ride every day???...Seems to me a week or so would be sufficient time to see what one needs to see...JMHO and I hope things work out for you...Ride safe
    Well, Europe is made up of many countries, so you might want to ride everyday and see as much as possible. Especially if you stay for at least a month.
    My suggestions: Ireland, South of France, Croatia along the coast. All the passes in Switzerland, Austria and France. Germany for the Autobahn...