I don't want to ride to work anymore

Thread: I don't want to ride to work anymore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Work whats that all about-I know just another wise ass retired guy rubbin it in.When I was employed and living in Northern California I commuted 130 miles round trip from west of Santa Rosa to San Francisco.Tried to wear out a 1100,1200 and a 1500 Goldwing over 28 years of burning up tires on Hwy 101.I worked a 4-12 shift most of those years to avoid traffic-when I was going in all the day workers were going the other way.Ride home at night was very relaxing with few people on the road.Going thru the city and fog were the two things that at times would make my arss pucker.After about 200,000 miles I was able to retire and do not miss that commute at all.Now I live in Northern Nevada and get to ride for fun when these old bones feel like it.

One of the few advantages of being in the sticks

20 minutes each way. Go in at 8 so I leave about 7:30. Little traffic.few nice curves. No stoplight. I ride a few days a week. Not all of the time just to switch it up.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I commute nearly everyday regardless of the weather. About 14 miles each way now. There's a dual purpose for me in it...I luv to ride regardless of the reason and I'm not senior enough to get reasonable parking. The only lot I can get a pass for is close to a mile walk by the time you weave around everything. MC parking isn't assigned and I can get a lot closer. Of the 70k on my VTX probably 50k are commuting, my Vstar before that was a similar ratio and on the B 5k of the 8k are commuting. I spent nearly 6 months in Japan walking to work so it's a bit low...

I ride because i CAN

After being hit by a car doing over 50 MPH while riding my bicycle 9 years ago - I vowed to never give up two wheels because of fear.
    Everyday parts of my body hurt - the ride helps, it eases the pain
    everyday I struggle with dickhead cagers but I remember I ride for me and they make me more alert
    sometimes, esp in the morning brain fog, just standing the bike up off the kickstand can be a chore - but it reminds me to exercise and eat better and I am healthier because of it.
    I complain to myself everytime I put on all my cycle gear - then I remember WTH I can still dress myself after doing the tango with a 5400 pound car and it's because of all that gear i'm alive.
    Yeah the bike covers are a PITA but they keep the cats from pissin on my seat and the sun from fading my blue paint that I enjoy polishing because it gets me away from the boob tube and other non constructive things.
    I could keep detailed records but why? I know when my warranty is toast, I know when I need service, I know when to replace my tires... I know so I go.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Riding to work is 100% more enjoyable than driving

I ride the motorcycle to work as many days as possible.

Compared to driving the car, I can cut about three to five minutes off the drive, as I take a route that has more starts/stops, but the bike can accelerate and brake fasater, and I can mix into traffic a lot easier on the bike.

In addition...i just love the smell of the morning grass, trees, and the outdoor feel. For the ride home, it is just as enjoyable.

Perhaps the F6B is too large of a bike in commuter traffic? I take my Honda CB500X to work more than the F6B, which I do so due to the lighter weight and easier to maneuver in traffic style.

So much good advice in this thread, it turned out better than I expected. Thanks, everyone.

Just to clarify, the "tiredness" I referred to in the morning is not due to eyes open at 5am or the two mile walk...just groggy from probably not going to bed at a time that corresponds with the alarm clock going off the next morning.

It is more emotional fatigue in the afternoon. All the cars coming at me (not much traffic with me)...I can't maintain the level of focus I feel is necessary to be a safe rider.

Steve pointed out something that I am betting is true...my analytical nature is interfering with the pure enjoyment of motorcycling. Being an analytical pays dividends at work, but often is a hinderance when it comes to anything emotional.

I took an 85 mile ride tonight. I actually felt myself leaning back and enjoying the breeze for the first time in a long time this evening. What led to that? No rush, no heavy traffic coming at me or with me, great scenery, lots of cruising, less stopping and shifting.

What a relief it was to feel good on a bike again.

I will probably continue to commute on the bike - on a part time basis - perhaps once or twice per week when I am in one building for the day, feel good in the morning, and can sneak out a few minutes early to enjoy a different route home.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Yes yes YES

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    So much good advice in this thread, it turned out better than I expected. Thanks, everyone.

Just to clarify, the "tiredness" I referred to in the morning is not due to eyes open at 5am or the two mile walk...just groggy from probably not going to bed at a time that corresponds with the alarm clock going off the next morning.

It is more emotional fatigue in the afternoon. All the cars coming at me (not much traffic with me)...I can't maintain the level of focus I feel is necessary to be a safe rider.

Steve pointed out something that I am betting is true...my analytical nature is interfering with the pure enjoyment of motorcycling. Being an analytical pays dividends at work, but often is a hinderance when it comes to anything emotional.

I took an 85 mile ride tonight. I actually felt myself leaning back and enjoying the breeze for the first time in a long time this evening. What led to that? No rush, no heavy traffic coming at me or with me, great scenery, lots of cruising, less stopping and shifting.

What a relief it was to feel good on a bike again.

I will probably continue to commute on the bike - on a part time basis - perhaps once or twice per week when I am in one building for the day, feel good in the morning, and can sneak out a few minutes early to enjoy a different route home.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

If you're that tired before and after work, I dont think i'd want you driving in a car around me either.
    2013 Honda F6B #374 (darksided)
    2004 Honda NRX1800 RUNE #274
    2008 Can Am Spyder #21 (basically factory darksided. )
    1989 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
    1992 Yamaha FJ1200