Protective gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protective gear

Protective gear

I'm trying to ride safer and smarter as I get older. I told myself when I bought this last bike, that I would wear a helmet, boots, gloves and riding jacket every time I ride. Problem is, my 3 Season, riding jacket, with removable liner, is still to dam hot on days over 80, which has me riding without a jacket.

I'm looking at mesh jackets, particularly the Joe Rocket and was wanting to see what others are doing and using during hot weather.

One thing you can do besides an air mesh jacket, is get Baker Hand Wings and vector some air on your torso.
    Add a BeadRider and that same air gets under your arse and keeps things cool.

I have an air mesh jacket with some reinforcement in the elbows, shoulders, and back.
    I feel safe with it.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    One thing you can do besides an air mesh jacket, is get Baker Hand Wings and vector some air on your torso.
    Add a BeadRider and that same air gets under your arse and keeps things cool.

I have an air mesh jacket with some reinforcement in the elbows, shoulders, and back.
    I feel safe with it.

Cheers,
    Steve
    ^^^ What he said. Elbows and forearms don't hold up well on pavement, so do what you need to protect yourself. I slammed on the brakes tonight to avoid a groundhog. Can't believe I didn't hit him. Even a critter that size could (though unlikely) send you down to the asphalt in a hurry.

It was in the upper 80s here tonight, with no shortage of humidity.

I still wore my fluorescent vest, armor jacket (partially mesh), Schuberth helmet (that thing is too damn hot), armored boots, gloves with leather.

I was steaming at anything below 60. Even lowered the Madstad down. Still, I just don't feel safe without that gear on.

My gear needs an update. I bought it five years ago from Motorcycle Superstore and Leather Up and its kinda cheap. However, it has somehow held up this long.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    ^^^ What he said. Elbows and forearms don't hold up well on pavement, so do what you need to protect yourself. I slammed on the brakes tonight to avoid a groundhog. Can't believe I didn't hit him. Even a critter that size could (though unlikely) send you down to the asphalt in a hurry.

It was in the upper 80s here tonight, with no shortage of humidity.

I still wore my fluorescent vest, armor jacket (partially mesh), Schuberth helmet (that thing is too damn hot), armored boots, gloves with leather.

I was steaming at anything below 60. Even lowered the Madstad down. Still, I just don't feel safe without that gear on.

My gear needs an update. I bought it five years ago from Motorcycle Superstore and Leather Up and its kinda cheap. However, it has somehow held up this long.
    1st Gear has a very reasonable mesh jacket for summer use. I think they go for about $175. Has removable shoulder, elbow and back armor so you can take it out when (if) you wash the jacket. I have one in high-vis yellow and it does a pretty good job in hot weather.

I like my Draggin Shirt...probably too much as it's just a Kevlar mesh with no armor. I wear it most of the time. I have a nice First Gear jacket, however I regained some weight and it currently doesn't fit...

I'm a full gear guy, but I admit to taking off the jacket at 90 plus a few times. Still always long pants, gloves and boots. I have a Klim mesh jacket that can't be any better.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Mesh jackets are nice as long as you avoid black. I have a first gear in black but I stopped wearing it when hot and sunny. I now have a light grey tour master flex series 3 that I wear all the time. I still break out my black first gear mesh pant for long trips.
    One thing to consider is where the liner is. My first gear has a water proof internal liner. Keeps me fairly dry/warmer but the outer mesh soaks up a lot of water. Also, it is a pain to take off the jacket and install the liner.
    The flex series 3 has an outer shell that goes over the mesh jacket. It is very easy to put on when it is chilly out. I don't even bother zipping them together, just put it on over the mesh jacket and the velcro holds it in place. I have not done any serious riding in the rain, I'm a fair weather rider.

Gloves are all about habit. I finally started wearing gloves 2 years ago and now I feel naked w/o them. Rode without gloves for about 15 years.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Mesh Jacket

I believe in full gear. I have an Olympia 3 season jacket with the shell being mesh with armour at the shoulder's elbows and back. It pretty comfortable. I was riding in 80+ degree heat at 40 mph and was quite comfortable. I have a vented windscreen as well which helps put some air on my torso when riding.

Thanks for all the input.

Does anyone have a summer use, mesh jacket that is their favorite, that they would highly recommend for hot days?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey1 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Does anyone have a summer use, mesh jacket that is their favorite, that they would highly recommend for hot days?
    I found a Fieldsheer mesh jacket at a local dealer, has two zip in/out liners, one for warmth, the other for rain.
    With both liners out it's still cool on the hot days and the Hi-Viz gets noticed.
    There's removable pads for the elbow, shoulder, and back.

It's a nice jacket thats multi-seasonal.