Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
Appreciate the advice. I am a newbie when it comes to choppers.
NP. I personally have no use for any of those high $ garage queens, but then again, to each his own. They're pretty, but fuctionally lacking to me. The problem with customs is just that, everything is custom. Very little off the shelf fits. So, unless you're capable of such mods, you're better off with something more stockish, or something with more aftermarket support. THAT is the single biggest draw to most HD riders, the aftermarket support. I can take nearly any HD frame, knowing the year, and buy parts that will fit. Thereby customizing it and making it my own. There may be a few cheaper aftermarket parts or repop parts for the older frames that need minor mods, but for the newer frames, IE 70's and up? By far, it's plug and play. Aftermarket frames, not so much, that's back into the custom fit category again, so buyer beware.

Examples. My 79 FXEF. Didn't like the stock front end, went with an Ultima 41mm +4" with 5 degree trees. Gave it a nice chopper stance, completely plug and play. Didn't like the stock rear fender, installed a stock WG rear instead, plug and play. Changed the front end to a stock HD springer setup, plug and play. The most work was the 5 into 4 trans installation. I had to cut, bend, and reweld the clutch release arm for clearance. Took an extra 30 minutes. Aside from that, plug and play.

Current project. Rigid aftermarket frame. Bought as a complete roller, minus motor. So, just needs motor, wiring, assembled, and gas right? WRONG! Motor went in ok, trans went in ok, that's where it stops. I had to cut both header pipes in half, re-clock and angle, and clearance to fit in the frame. Upper engine mount won't fit. Found the upper frame mount clocked, soooo, had to correct that. Exhaust bracket, cut off, make new one. Fender brackets, no fit with fender, cut off and make new ones. Rear brake caliper mount, don't make one for the big brakes, so have to modify one to work. Make a relocated regulator bracket to work with oil filter install, etc etc, the list goes on. But, I knew this going in, cause it's a custom in an aftermarket frame. Had it been a factory frame, I'd have been done long ago. But, I enjoy it, so that's ok.

Good luck!

Mike