Brake Recall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Recall

Brake Recall

I have a few questions about the brake recall.

1. The dealers have a three week wait for an appointment (is that normal?) I did call two dealers both said three weeks out.

2. Is it a question of if they will do the work? The guy said if my bike needed it? I thought they would automatically do the work???

3. They said they would replace rear master cylinder, secondary master cylinder and flush the rear brake fluid. Is this what they have done to your bikes?

3. How hard is it to change the brake fluid and clutch fluid myself?
    I just did it on my 1981 Honda CB750K but it only has one caliper and no linked brakes.

Steve

The clutch is a pain to get to being that it is behind the fuel evaporation canister, which means you have to drop the lower front cowl. Then unbolt canister to move it out of the way. The real pain is in reinstalling the lower cowl. Bleeding the break systom, there is a specific sequence that has to be followed. When I bled my 13 I installed speed bleeders at that time. 6 months later the last break recall came out. For me the hardest part was trying to not run the recivior dry.

No Hurry

I waited until a nice weekday last November when the dealer wasn't busy at all. I called the night before to be sure they could take me as soon as they opened. I was out of there in less than 3 hours, well before lunch time. This particular dealer had loads of experience with the recall, having performed over 1,400 of them. That allowed them to streamline the procedure in places.

I doubt there's a hurry to get this done. It applies to all GL1800s, back to the first 2001 models. It usually takes time to develop, so our newer F6Bs should be unlikely to be exhibiting actual dragging brakes at this point. I think my service tech said they'd only seen two or three bikes with the actual problem.

FYI only... I picked up my new '16 Deluxe on 6/12 and the dealer checked... no recalls on my scoot. Hoping it doesn't materialize.

I picked up my 2016 Deluxe in April and the dealer said it had no recalls on it either.

My 13 wasn't included in the recall. I'm not sure why Dave says it applies to all Gl1800's.

Quote Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
    My 13 wasn't included in the recall. I'm not sure why Dave says it applies to all Gl1800's.
    All 13's are included in the recall. Maybe yours was already done?
    Albuquerque, NM

Everything I've read, seen, was told, indicated that ALL GL1800s from 2001 and up, specifically including 2013-2015 GL1800B

The following report is filed with the NHTSA:

Report Receipt Date: October 23, 2015
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V700000
    Component(s): Service brakes, hydraulic
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 145,219
    Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
    THE RECALL: American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2001-2010 and 2012-2015 GL1800, 2001-2005 GL1800A and 2013-2015 GL1800B motorcycles. The rear brakes of the affected motorcycles may drag after the brakes are released. ( CLICK HERE to see the 2014 recall announcement concerning GL1800 rear brakes .)
    WHAT COULD HAPPEN: A rear brake that drags may increase the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, extended riding with the rear brake dragging could generate enough heat to result in a fire.
    THE FIX: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the secondary brake master cylinder and the rear brake master cylinder, and flush the brake fluid, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-866-784-1870. Honda's number for this recall is JV6. Note: This recall supercedes recall 14V-472.
    MORE RECALL INFORMATION: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to safercar.gov.

If you feel that your dealer made an error, I urge you to type your VIN into this Honda website and see for yourself.

http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx

Best of luck,
    Steve

PS - If you bought your 2013 after 23 Oct, 2015 from a dealer (used or NOS), they probably already performed the recall for you.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I don't know what to say guys. The dealer says they didn't do it, it doesn't show on the service history, and it doesn't flag when the VIN is run. I bought the bike NOS last July. I think the key word is "certain" model year etc.... If it was all of them wouldn't it say Honda is recalling "All 2013-2015 GL1800B's"?

Running the VIN says no recalls on this bike. Would 1 of you guys that has had it done mind running your vin and see what the reply is. Id like to know if it comes back as "Service completed" or something like that.

I don't what to say guys. The dealer says they didn't do it, it doesn't show on the service history, and it doesn't flag when the VIN is run. I bought the bike NOS last July. I think the key word is "certain" model year etc.... If it was all of them wouldn't it say Honda is recalling "All 2013-2015 GL1800B's"?

Running the VIN says no recalls on this bike. Would 1 of you guys that has had it done mind running your vin and see what the reply is. Id like to know if it comes back as "Service completed" or something like that.
    Here's what I get and I had the recall:

My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce