Climbing Grand Father Mountain
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing Grand Father Mountain

Climbing Grand Father Mountain

So I continue to plan this trip we'll take in June down the Blue Ridge Parkway...some of you have already responded on an other thread with ideas on twisties and other things to plan for. But my question is I've heard it is difficult to drive a motorcycle up to the top of Grand Father Mountain, that it is steep and twisty and you have to deal with cars ahead of you. Some say it is not recommended. Hmmm.....It's 2 miles according to their website, and we plan to be there in the middle of the week which may reduce car traffic. Anyone here has any experience doing this?

That is exactly what I would be looking for if I was in the area on my bike. Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwNwxko1dw

I have not ridden to the top of Grandfather Mountain. The last time I was in the area, traffic was so heavy that I turned around. I think that it was an opening weekend.

That being said, an F6B can handle twisties with steep elevation changes. However, you must allow extra room in front of you so that you can complete each hairpin turn without having to stop. And when negotiating an uphill hairpin, start slowly enough that you can stay on the gas until you have exited the hairpin and can reach the ground with either foot.

I hope that makes sense.

allen

wow, couldn't answer my question any better!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    That is exactly what I would be looking for if I was in the area on my bike. Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwNwxko1dw
    Thanks!! Perfect, now we know what to expect! What views!!

Been up 2x on bikes. You can't get up enough speed except down to be dangerous. You do have to worry about too slow and potentially falling over. It's worse near the top. I was there in June & September, traffic wasn't an issue.

Mike

I've got a friend who rode up Grandfather Mountain one-handed.
    Not your average rider.....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Excellent Video !!!

I did this run several years ago, it was not as difficult as some in our group at that time had made it out to be. Today it will cost you $20 to enter.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Some...new riders find trouble deciding which foot to put down. Other than that, pace yourself so you don't need to stop!

Worth the trip up to the top.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Grandfather Mt

Well worth the ride no worries just use your head enjoy the view and be safe. Been up there around8-10 times loved every trip

They looked like they were hauling ass in that video... maybe it was just the FPS being played back at a slightly more than normal speed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537