Fricken groundhogs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fricken groundhogs

Fricken groundhogs

...have several of them living out back under the sheds... told me wife that as long as they behaved... no issue.

Now them suckers are wiping out all of the plants on our raised deck. Need to procure subsonic ammo tomorrow. Wife is not happy.

Told her... I can coexist with them until they have become a nuisance. They have become a nuisance.

Am surprised that they behaved for this long... and am also surprised that my Korean neighbor hasn't launched an all out assault on them as well.. they've been killing his garden and I have heard him muttering expletives in his native tongue on more than one occasion...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Moth balls??

They work for skunks and rabbits. They can't stand the smell.
    Supposedly, you can use any type of pepper to repel the groundhogs. It can be Cheyenne pepper, chili pepper or red pepper. Just sprinkle a bit into the burrow holes and hide them with dirt.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Moth balls or red pepper won't be practical in this scenario. Unfortunately they have to be removed. They know I'm watching them... up to this point that's all I have been doing.

I had an issue with squirrels when we first moved to this place, back in the early 2000's.., me wife used to feed them, and over time we became seriously overrun by them. The last straw was when one got up under my F350's hood and ate the engine's wiring harness. $950,00 to replace. Started taking them out with my pellet gun... got about 10 of them before I became tired of shooting them... then started trapping them... and relocated about 12 more... got the residual numbers down to a much more acceptable level.

I don't particularly enjoy killing any type of animal just for the hell of it... there has to be a bonafide reason for doing so. I still deer hunt, and used to fish... for food.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Moth balls or red pepper won't be practical in this scenario. Unfortunately they have to be removed. They know I'm watching them... up to this point that's all I have been doing.

I had an issue with squirrels when we first moved to this place, back in the early 2000's.., me wife used to feed them, and over time we became seriously overrun by them. The last straw was when one got up under my F350's hood and ate the engine's wiring harness. $950,00 to replace. Started taking them out with my pellet gun... got about 10 of them before I became tired of shooting them... then started trapping them... and relocated about 12 more... got the residual numbers down to a much more acceptable level.

I don't particularly enjoy killing any type of animal just for the hell of it... there has to be a bonafide reason for doing so. I still deer hunt, and used to fish... for food.
    Maryland must be to far north, check with some of our more true southern brethren...Teach comes to mind...mayhaps one of them has a good recipe and you'll be good to go

Not Punxatawney!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Not Punxatawney!
    If you change your mind about shooting them will I'll send you a picture of my ex mother-in-law #2. Rumor has it big game hunters in Rwanda use her image to thwart off Silverbacks except some gorillas have mistaken her likeness for one of them and thought it was mating season but you shouldn't have that problem with the groundhogs. Always here to help.

Speaking of Phil

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCZzqeXAg0

Do a Bill Murray on them groundhogs.

rudymsmith

yummy

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ...have several of them living out back under the sheds... told me wife that as long as they behaved... no issue.

Now them suckers are wiping out all of the plants on our raised deck. Need to procure subsonic ammo tomorrow. Wife is not happy.

Told her... I can coexist with them until they have become a nuisance. They have become a nuisance.

Am surprised that they behaved for this long... and am also surprised that my Korean neighbor hasn't launched an all out assault on them as well.. they've been killing his garden and I have heard him muttering expletives in his native tongue on more than one occasion...
    good eating.

I used to have horses, they are obviously a scourge to anyone with horses. I still have a large cage trap in the barn. It is a very effective method to catch, then dispose, of them. You might think about a trap near your garden. Given you are in the People's Republik of Marlyand, you might check your local laws regarding trapping. Good luck.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    I used to have horses, they are obviously a scourge to anyone with horses. I still have a large cage trap in the barn. It is a very effective method to catch, then dispose, of them. You might think about a trap near your garden. Given you are in the People's Republik of Marlyand, you might check your local laws regarding trapping. Good luck.
    Yea... I'm used to shoot, shovel and shutup here.

I do have a small trap... but it's not up to the task. My bleeding, animal loving heart of my wife propelled her to order this via Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1079...roundhog+traps

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537