Got the itch again!!!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got the itch again!!!!

Cool Got the itch again!!!!

I have had my F6B for 3yrs now. Awesome ride , but kinda wanting a NEW bike. Went and looked at some new Harley's. Remind me now,, What would I be given up if I got a new Road Guild.

The Road Glide has a lot to offer. However, you would have to endure an amazing amount of engine heat while stopped. In stop-and-go traffic, it is not a small thing. You might also find that the Road Glide front end feels very heavy. The Harley would likely not have the longevity or reliability of the F6B.

allen

If that's what you want to do, do it! We aren't getting any younger and might as well scratch those itches while we can. I am in somewhat the same situation although I am leaning toward something smaller and lighter. Something in the Adv touring line. But.............at 72 I'm probably riding my last bike. We'll see.

I've been lusting for a Big Dog K9 or Ridgeback chopper... for quite some time now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Big Dog coyote a month or so ago... but it's just not the model I'm looking for.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    If that's what you want to do, do it! We aren't getting any younger and might as well scratch those itches while we can. I am in somewhat the same situation although I am leaning toward something smaller and lighter. Something in the Adv touring line. But.............at 72 I'm probably riding my last bike. We'll see.
    I am also looking at something smaller & lighter, just for an in town bike....but I am looking at a 650-750cc collector bike, to go in the garage beside the F6B

I just did a 13 mile test ride on the new Ultra Classic. Really liked it, but you definitely feel the heat on your right leg while stopped and while moving. They didn't want to give me much for mine and didn't deal a lot on theirs, so no HD for me for now.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

You give up the smoothness, quite and reliability of the B.
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

If I ever get a chopper, this will be necessary equipment Seriously

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Thinking of something lighter and smaller myself at almost 78 years old..So far, so good with the F6B, but I notice it is getting a little " tighter on my pucker" at slower speeds and some maneuvers...But I love the thing and might wait until next year to look..Almost bought a leftover 2015 Honda Interstate last winter...If I were seriously interested in looking at HD, personally I would wait until the 2018's are out and then see what kind of deal I could get.....Good luck and ride safe...BTW I would never buy a Harley for any reason and just plain don't like the things....Never have, never will, have ridden a few and just cannot find anything I like about them.....Had over 20 bikes in my riding career and HD just did not "float my boat"..Can't deal with the image thing and the ego trips most HD riders are on....Plus I really enjoy "blowing them into the weeds" , especially the ones with loud obnoxious pipes that makes them go faster!!!..Sorry guys, just not my bag!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
    I have had my F6B for 3yrs now. Awesome ride , but kinda wanting a NEW bike. Went and looked at some new Harley's. Remind me now,, What would I be given up if I got a new Road Guild.
    What you'd lose is minimal compared to what you would gain.....ready?

Well first, you'd lose a lot of $$$$$ (5 digits) - especially if you traded the F6B
    Second, you'd lose horsepower. Going from 118hp to 85. And then more $$$$$ (yes, 5 digits) to get it to 112hp
    Third, you'd lose a "heavy cruiser" with a low center of gravity
    Last, you'd lose the smoothest running engine in the history of motorcycling

But look at what you gain!!!!
    You'd gain an up-to-date, state of the art V-Twin motor with roots ( & technology) 114 years old.
    You'd be gaining heat - a lot of it.
    You'd be gaining a top heavy machine with a fixed front cowling with "bolt-on" aesthetics.
    You'd be gaining a pirate's wardrobe.
    You'd be gaining new friends who ride, drink, ride, eat, ride in support of good causes, ride in support of their local chapters, and get excited about 3,000 miles on the bike in a year - when they are not getting the latest "Stage X" upgrade.
    You'd be gaining new ear protection devices - after you spend $$$$ to make the exhaust breathe contrary to EPA regulations.
    You'd be gaining vibrations......enough to satiate the entire red light district in Las Vegas.
    You'd be gaining easy access to things like air cleaners, oil filters and spark plugs - because you have to.
    Plus easy access to coils, and belts, and 3 different fluids to change out, AFTER you consult Seadog to find the best ones to use.

How do I know? I've got one of each. And I love them both.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce