Madstad report

Thread: Madstad report

Madstad report

I had a Clockworks shield that measured 15 1/2 inch from the front rubber to the top of shield and it was not getting the job done. I'm 6' 2" and expect to have a seat made to raise me a bit so I ordered the 17 inch Madstad. Got it installed and it measured about 18" from the top of the rubber at bottom of shield and was taller than I like and that was at the lowest setting. I decided to flip and swap the mounting brackets because of the offset it looked like that should lower the shield, it did. Now the adjustments knobs are at the bottom rather than the top and it measures about 16 1/2 inches in its lowest setting. This will work for now at only a tad high so I have room to raise the seat in the future and raise the shield even more if needed. Also flipping the brackets allows more backwards tilt. I will have to say this two piece shield is very effective at stopping the wind turbulence I was experiencing with the Clockworks. I got this one in dark grey and it looks good in the sun but might be a little dark at night. The medium grey might be a better choice. My advice is don't get the 17 inch unless you are taller than 6'3".

Interesting about inverting the brackets

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Aye......hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the vertical cant (versus a horizontal cant) ???

No it still pivots but now the pivot point is at the top of the bracket rather than the bottom. It is still too high so will see what I can do to lower some more. I would hate to have to return it for a shorter one. Another problem is the dark tint is more difficult to look thru over My other much lighter shields. Thinking light grey might be more desirable.

I gave up on the 17 inch in dark grey. Too tall and difficult to see through. At the lowest setting it looked to be about 3 inches too tall for me to look over and I'm 6'2". Did not like the dark grey either. Just installed a 13 inch in clear with the brackets in the suggested mounting. As expected the 4 inch shorter shield now looks like it needs to be raised about one inch with the slot adjustment. Can go more if I raise my seat later. Additionally the clear is much better in allowing me to see the road etc. I have it angled back at the top the max amount. I might try inverting the brackets again which allows more angle putting the top of shield closer to my head. I will try this one out "as is" for a while, it is already better than the CW I just took off.