windshield, aesthetics vs function - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: windshield, aesthetics vs function

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Get a 13"

I have one and it works pretty good.

I'm going to get a 15" for the colder months.

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat… if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt
    I appreciate the input, but I'm 5'8" and have the stock seat and I would have an issue seeing over the 13". I extended my 11" all the way this morning (still experimenting) and the top of the shield was directly in my vision…not good.

Spent another 2hrs this morning to no avail, again. I may be expecting too much from reading impressions on the MadStad, but unfortunately at this point I'm really not impressed in any way with its performance. I can't even get a nice steady flow of air, and I still have the same buffeting at ear level. Back too the drawing board this evening.

Thanks,
    Joe

I loved the stock shorty also. Suited me to get some wind in my face and the weather wasnt a problem. Then I took a trip down south. The bugs kept me blind. I had a Klockwerks installed for the trip back and have loved it since. Better for the stereo,fun watching the bug execute themselves at the top of the flip. I still get some wind(full helmet with the visor up and shades) but thats ok.

Another Option

Hi Folks

I ride with an HJC RPHA modular helmet. Stock shield pretty noisy above 55-60 made hearing stereo impossible. Added Memphis Shades Hot Wing extension now stereo is fine up to 80 or so.
    I'm 5' 8" stock seat see over the shield and Hot Wing. Works for me. YMMV

Ride safe
    WEG
    ATGATT

Circle-5
    On day-1 I switched to the Honda "tall" windshield P/N 08R70-MJG-670 (plus the vent) because I think it looks best on the F6B. I'm exactly 6.0ft. tall, and it also allows me to looks either above or below the top, which is perfect. I added two screws with OEM spacers in the empty mounting holes, for a total of five – not sure if that helps, but it can't hurt.

I love driving my convertible with the open top and the air conditioning at full blast on hot California days. I wish the F6B had air conditioning as well, but I suppose that might be just a bit impractical ...

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Get a 13"

I have one and it works pretty good.

I'm going to get a 15" for the colder months.

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat… if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt
    I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Aftermarket windscreen

About two weeks after bringing the bike home and after much research on this site and other resources I decided on an F4 Customs 16" clear with Honda vent installed. I'm 5'10" and have the stock seat for now. I'm very pleased with this setup. I look through the screen about 2"-3" from the top. Usually run the vent one click open as it gives a little air to me and provides almost zero buffeting and back pressure. If opened fully or one click from fully open it gives very good air movement to helmet vents and my chest. ( I wear a Shoei Quest ). Clean with a cotton towel and Meguire's Quick Detailer. Cleans up crystal clear with no scratches whatsoever after several months of use. Kind of pricey but well worth the investment.

Eagerly awaiting results

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    Hey Doubleh, did you receive and install the 13 inch shield yet? I'm really wanting to order, was gonna order the 11" until I read your post. Did you stay with the dark smoke, and are you still looking "over" the shield? Waiting to pull the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache1 View Post
    Hey Doubleh, did you receive and install the 13 inch shield yet? I'm really wanting to order, was gonna order the 11" until I read your post. Did you stay with the dark smoke, and are you still looking "over" the shield? Waiting to pull the trigger!
    Yes, I received the Extra Dark Gray 13" shield, installed it, and at its lowest position it was too much of a problem for me to see over clearly. After riding for 20 minutes, my vision was fatigued. I'm shipping it back tomorrow. I then installed the "stock" windshield and headed towards the highway. On the way, doing 20-30MPH I felt like I was doing 100-MPH due to the shield throwing the wind directly into my face. I immediately returned home and put the Extra Dark Gray 11" back on, which I can see over clearly, and I will continue to adjust it until I find a happy medium. I think I was just expecting much too much from the MadStad, because the Klock Werks buffeting is unbearable and the "stock" shield just directs the wind into your face. Even though I had complained about the wind being at my ear level, there was no buffeting like the KW. I actually think it's the cross winds on the highway I'm testing on. I need to take a nice long ride elsewhere with the 11" and adjust from there.

I have a 19" Slipstreamer shield on mine with the adjustable vent. I am 5' 11" and really like the pocket of no turbulent air I am in. Yes the top of the windscreen is partially in my line of vision, but I have learned to adjust accordingly and it has paid off greatly.