Hand Air Deflectors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Air Deflectors

Hand Air Deflectors

Baker Built or National Cycle ?

I like the ratchet hardware on the NC, but the shape of the BB seems to be fit closer to the bike.

I will be getting a set soon, just wanting to see pros/cons of one over the other.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    Baker Built or National Cycle ?

I like the ratchet hardware on the NC, but the shape of the BB seems to be fit closer to the bike.

I will be getting a set soon, just wanting to see pros/cons of one over the other.
    National Cycle's ratcheted (multi-position) hand wings are nice, but their matching F6B console wings are a hack job.

National Cycle's F6B console wings are the Goldwing console wings with no modifications to tailor them to the F6B. The padded mounting feet hang off the side of the console because the F6B console is scalloped narrower than the Goldwing. Also, the top smoked deflector plate is shaped for the Golding's "2 channel" radiator grill, not the F6B's "3 channel" radiator grill. It also only comes in chrome, which does not match the F6B's console color. Their handwings match the F6B mirror color.

I asked the same question last winter about the wing deflectors. I go the Baker brand and have not been disappointed. Install them correctly and they do what they are supposed to do. Good luck!

I'm satisfied with the Baker. Takes some tweaking to get everything tight enough to hold, but works well in hot and cold.

Mike

Just ordered a set of the New Generation Baker Hand wings for the trip down to the Smokies.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

I just ordered a set of Baker's. I've had mixed success with NC products in the past for my VTX. The Bakers seemed to get love from a lot of people. Looking forward to the added air flow.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe

I just ordered a set of Baker's. I've had mixed success with NC products in the past for my VTX. The Bakers seemed to get love from a lot of people. Looking forward to the added air flow.
    Same here, how ya been ?
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Got the Baker's on. Disappointed in the hardware. Pretty cheezy to provide stick on rubber pads to put on the side faring so the deflector when closed wont mar the fairing. Also, the stop to prevent it from opening too far is very, well, cheezy. It is a spring clip nut with a rubber covered plastic screw, the spring nut will severely scratch the mirror when you put it on. No way of preventing this. By it's design, it requires an interference fit for it to remain secure. The template for the placement of it must not take our mirrors into account. My mirrors have a tapered ramp on the bottom that looks to be for support, but it limits where the spring nut can be placed.

Do they work? Yes, and so far quite well. I suspect they will work nicely in rain and the cold as well. Just wished they had better hardware.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe

Got the Baker's on. Disappointed in the hardware. Pretty cheezy to provide stick on rubber pads to put on the side faring so the deflector when closed wont mar the fairing. Also, the stop to prevent it from opening too far is very, well, cheezy. It is a spring clip nut with a rubber covered plastic screw, the spring nut will severely scratch the mirror when you put it on. No way of preventing this. By it's design, it requires an interference fit for it to remain secure. The template for the placement of it must not take our mirrors into account. My mirrors have a tapered ramp on the bottom that looks to be for support, but it limits where the spring nut can be placed.

Do they work? Yes, and so far quite well. I suspect they will work nicely in rain and the cold as well. Just wished they had better hardware.
    Sorry...I totally disagree. Mine fit well, I don't see any issues with the product at all. Nothing has scratched on my equipment yet. What were they supposed to use besides the sticky pads? Mine are on to stay, so as far as the spring clip scratching anything, it's a moot point. I installed them first shot and not one issue yet after 31,000 miles. They don't do much in rain, but you feel air in the summer heat, and they make a difference in the cold.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Mine scratched my mirror housing. I only noticed because I had to move the stops to get the airflow correct..
    Riding the upward spiral.