Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
Take both and change them out every once in a while, you will be riding all day and the change will be welcome. I do not recommend this to others as it might could reduce the protection of the lid but. I also have an odd shaped head I have gone inside the helmet and shaved off just a bit of styrofoam where it is pressing against my head too much. Wearing an altered helmet is better than a half or even none at all which I do sometimes. Good luck on the iron butt, did it a couple of years ago, left early in the morn and back that night. Plan your route with the least amount of turns and make a plan for your gas stops. Those receipts are needed for turns. Also remember to hydrate, the wind sucks the water out of you.
I agree...take 2 helmets. I always do on my long rides, but one of them is a half helmet. It is refreshing to feel a little wind around your ears and neck...especially when you're riding in the heat of the day. Other suggestions...Bring a friend and have a Sena or equivalent. Good conversation can eat up the miles. Music is a must. Limit your gas stops to 10 min, especially during the first half of the challenge. Take a nice 30-40 minute lunch and evaluate your progress to see if you can extend the time of your gas stops a little bit for the 2nd half. Ride hard and fast, afterall you are on a F6B! Good luck!