Steelmate TPMS question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelmate TPMS question

Steelmate TPMS question

Has anyone using Steelmate worn out the battery. I am curious because I have noticed when first starting out for a ride the front sends updated PSI almost instant once the wheels start rolling, but the rear takes almost a mile to update.
    I am thinking a battery change may be needed but thought I would ask.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Has anyone using Steelmate worn out the battery. I am curious because I have noticed when first starting out for a ride the front sends updated PSI almost instant once the wheels start rolling, but the rear takes almost a mile to update.
    I am thinking a battery change may be needed but thought I would ask.
    My rear tire takes a while to register as opposed to the front; but it doesn't take a mile. Normally I see the cold value for the rear register within 500-1000 feet of distance traveled. Sometimes less.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    My rear tire takes a while to register as opposed to the front; but it doesn't take a mile. Normally I see the cold value for the rear register within 500-1000 feet of distance traveled. Sometimes less.
    Thanks, I guess I will try a new battery just for a comparison.

I have not worn out a battery yet.

I noticed that the rear sensor does not register as easily as the front. I figured it has more difficulty getting the signal to the receiver because of more bike in the way.

My memory is pretty much useless. But, I believe that I swapped sensors and reprogrammed them and had the same results. Hence thinking it's tougher to get a signal "through" the bike.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I have not worn out a battery yet.

I noticed that the rear sensor does not register as easily as the front. I figured it has more difficulty getting the signal to the receiver because of more bike in the way.

My memory is pretty much useless. But, I believe that I swapped sensors and reprogrammed them and had the same results. Hence thinking it's tougher to get a signal "through" the bike.
    You could be right. A weak battery could contribute more to that effect. But don't these CR2032 lithium batteries go "tits up" fairly quickly once they lose their charge?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Thanks guys, you may be right about the signal.

I hope to have time this weekend to prep my old 78 and wake it from it's winter hibernation. I put TPMS on that also and will see how that does.

I need tech training here....is this statement true?
    "The Steelmate TPMS will not give you readings until you are rolling."

Thanks,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I need tech training here....is this statement true?
    "The Steelmate TPMS will not give you readings until you are rolling."

Thanks,
    Steve
    Yes.

The Steelmate sensors start transmitting when the wheel is in motion Steve. They become dormant again, after a period of wheel inactivity. Prolongs the battery life in the sensor.

The display unit will "remember" the last recorded tire pressures and temperatures when you turn the bike back on. Once the wheels are in motion again; it will update to the current readings.

I know others have a Fobp TPMS and like it...

....but I like the Steelmate TPMS because I may not always have my I-Phone with me. But the Steelmate TPMS display is always there on the bike.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Yes.

The Steelmate sensors start transmitting when the wheel is in motion Steve. They become dormant again, after a period of wheel inactivity. Prolongs the battery life in the sensor.

The display unit will "remember" the last recorded tire pressures and temperatures when you turn the bike back on. Once the wheels are in motion again; it will update to the current readings.

I know others have a Fobp TPMS and like it...

....but I like the Steelmate TPMS because I may not always have my I-Phone with me. But the Steelmate TPMS display is always there on the bike.
    Got it! Thanks.
    I'm a FOBO user and one of the things I like is that I can walk out to the bike, check pressures, and fire up the compressor if necessary, without turning on the bike.
    I guess if you don't have a compressor in your shop, then finding out on the way to the service station air compressor is really no big deal.
    The system is on all the time, but the batteries last over a year so that's not really an issue.
    Yes, it requires a phone/app device. I might have to dedicate an older phone to Isleen and just keep it on her at all times running the app.
    Doesn't require cell service, just BT.

Cool.

I learned something today. Thanks Will!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Got it! Thanks.
    I'm a FOBO user and one of the things I like is that I can walk out to the bike, check pressures, and fire up the compressor if necessary, without turning on the bike.
    I guess if you don't have a compressor in your shop, then finding out on the way to the service station air compressor is really no big deal.
    The system is on all the time, but the batteries last over a year so that's not really an issue.
    Yes, it requires a phone/app device. I might have to dedicate an older phone to Isleen and just keep it on her at all times running the app.
    Doesn't require cell service, just BT.Cool.I learned something today. Thanks Will!
    Cheers,
    Steve

I looked at the FOBO but not having a smart phone pushed me to Steelmate.

One time I actually fired up the bike and pulled it up into 3rd at idle while on the center stand and spun it up to wake up the sensor and check the rear PSI before riding off.