Question about carrying a passenger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about carrying a passenger

Question about carrying a passenger

Haven't carried a passenger in years. What is the best precedure for the passenger to mount the B? I get on first? They get on first? What seems to be the best methods? Thanks
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I get on first and then stand the bike up. Then I tell the passenger to mount (my wife for example) she will step on the left passenger peg while steadying herself with my shoulders as she swings her other leg over. She knows to try to stay as close to center line as possible whilst doing this.

You have to be holding the bars firmly and anticipate the bike trying to lean to the left initially. But if your expecting it; it's not an issue since you are firmly correcting by keeping the bike upright with firm body control.

I also keep the front handbrake engaged as well while she is mounting the bike.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Depends...my wife likes to get on first. Others, and if they're a big girl, mount the bike leave it on the side stand and let them get on. That way you are not supporting the weight of the person and bike, the bike it...... and yes the side stand will be fine.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I get on first and leave the bike leaning on the stand. I set it upright when she is settled down on the seat
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

I too leave the side stand down and have the passenger mount after me. I've found that to be the easiest way instead trying to hold the bike steady.

I stand the bike up first also. If not you are putting a lot of weight on the side stand but most of all you then you have to lift the bike upright off the stand with passenger weight on board.

What ever procedure you decide to go with the important part is for your passenger to always make sure you are ready for them to get on OR off.
    I have seen a few times where the rider is looking away and a passenger just tries to hop on and pulls the bike over.

As most couples.....over the many years riding together my wife (now ex) would always put her hand on my shoulder to alert me.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I stand the bike up first also. If not you are putting a lot of weight on the side stand but most of all you then you have to lift the bike upright off the stand with passenger weight on board.
    I was going to say...it must be fun lifting the bike with a passenger. I have to give her a tug with no one up. BTW, nobody rides with me....ever.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I hardly ever have a passenger but was in Arkansas for a family reunion when the 76 year old Mother in Law said it was on her bucket list to ride a motorcycle & I'm the only one she trusts. She also has 5 Sons who ride. I hopped on & told her how to get on by using my shoulders for balance. She then asked me to get off and let her get on first. I braced the bike & helped her on & had a nice ride thru the country. She started off screaming for me to slow down but settled in after a few slow miles. Our destination was one of her daughters home with a steep winding gravel driveway & deep ravines. My adrenaline was going strong while 30 family members watched us approach. We made it but the hardest part was getting her off. Then she said she wanted to go again

I get on first, stand the bike up and then she gets on. Reverse for getting off.