Russell Day Long Seat Height

Thread: Russell Day Long Seat Height

Russell Day Long Seat Height

I've never had a seat that didn't hurt my butt after a couple of hundred miles. Leaving the rest of the day painful (that includes an Ultimate Seat on my Valk (lowboy?)). With that, I still often make 700+ mile days when I travel cross country. All I can say is "Ouch!".

It seems that the RDL seat would fix that. I can deal with its appearance, but I am not interested in raising the seat height. Not because I am too short, but because I like sitting as low into the bike as possible.

Reading through old threads, It would seem that all RDL seats are taller than stock. I would like one that is shorter than stock. Will it still work? I am hoping that it is not just a matter of adding more cushion that makes the RDL more comfortable.

Any feedback on this? Anyone have a shorter than stock RDL? TIA!
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I've never had a seat that didn't hurt my butt after a couple of hundred miles. Leaving the rest of the day painful (that includes an Ultimate Seat on my Valk (lowboy?)). With that, I still often make 700+ mile days when I travel cross country. All I can say is "Ouch!".

It seems that the RDL seat would fix that. I can deal with its appearance, but I am not interested in raising the seat height. Not because I am too short, but because I like sitting as low into the bike as possible.

Reading through old threads, It would seem that all RDL seats are taller than stock. I would like one that is shorter than stock. Will it still work? I am hoping that it is not just a matter of adding more cushion that makes the RDL more comfortable.

Any feedback on this? Anyone have a shorter than stock RDL? TIA!
    RDL says it adds an inch to an inch and a half but maybe they can contour the seat to not add such a large depth to it or at most duplicate the stock depth. I'd give them a call they are really great people to deal with.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

I called Russell 2 hours ago about my order which starts TOMORROW, the 25th. I asked about the height of the seat they are making for me vs. the stock seat I sent them. I'm right at 6 ft. He told me that it might be 1/2 inch higher than stock but would settle down after some miles. As taxfree pointed out in his video, you'll slide back and down a bit when you take off, and slide forward at a light to flatfoot, etc. If I end up a little higher, I'm OK with it. Almost anything is better than the stock convex crap you get when new. My last MC was a Harley Street Glide and I bought a Harley police solo seat with the air compressor, etc. I could ride in that seat till the tank went dry. To me, the Russell is somewhat analogous to the police solo seat in shape and width. Also similar to a tractor seat with foam rubber. Those seats are shaped like your butt, not a watermelon. I think that if you tell Russell what you need, they'll do their best to make it happen. Best seat I ever had was the EZ BERG seat for my old Moto Guzzi Eldorado back in the late 70's. All it needed was a 40 gallon gas tank.

I've had 2 RDL's I didn't noticed the seat being any higher. 9 hours on a V-Strom, stopped for fuel & a sandwich. Got off my butt was smiling! no aches, pains, stiff joints, felt great the next day too.

My RDL does sit me a little higher, but when I sit all the way back, I feel more "planted" into the bike than I did with the stock seat. I tried a Mustang seat and it definitely sits you down and into the bike, but man that thing hurt after about an hour and a half of riding. There is only so much that can be done with the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Drugar View Post
    My RDL does sit me a little higher, but when I sit all the way back, I feel more "planted" into the bike than I did with the stock seat. I tried a Mustang seat and it definitely sits you down and into the bike, but man that thing hurt after about an hour and a half of riding. There is only so much that can be done with the seats.
    +1

I have the Mustang seat and after 5k+ on it it's still hard. I'm looking at using it for the base for a Rich's Custom seat in the spring. The one on my VTX was never like this...