Got the itch again!!!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Got the itch again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Uhhh, we need to talk if your C14 is looking for a good home....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 14, Candy Arabian Red, just under 11k miles, front tire has under 2k on it, rear tire has under 300 on it (replaced due to a nail), never dropped, minor scuffs from riding in the trailer with the VTX one trip. Asking $10,500.

Nothing wrong with her mechanically, cosmetically only a few rub marks from the VTX in the trailer, mutli-function screen is user friendly unlike a BMW's. The OEM tires caused most of my issues, every time I started to loosen up and feel comfortable on her she'd wash out the front end on a singular piece of pee gravel or the rear would get squirrelly because of rain or oil. After almost 8k I was at my wits end with her and finally talked to a guy at the local stealership. Put some cheap Continentals one her and she stopped doing that silly stuff but still didn't give me that rock solid feeling my VTX has on the road. My last straw was when I was coming home from work one morning in the rain and hit a patch of graded surface where they were redoing the road and she about tossed me. Parked her and road the VTX the next night, same conditions on my way home and the VTX didn't even flinch. That was almost two years ago and I've put maybe 400 miles on her since then. My buddy was going to buy her until his money reducing agent ensured he could not afford to do so. While the B was away I ran two tanks thru her to get all the old fuel out and then parked her an went back to the VTX. To nice a bike to leave rotting in the back of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    To each his own, but I'd avoid a BDM like the plague! Parts are scarce and the later years were a POS. Get a carbed chopper with NO ecu. Electronic iggy is ok, but stay away from high tech on a chop!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    To each his own, but I'd avoid a BDM like the plague! Parts are scarce and the later years were a POS. Get a carbed chopper with NO ecu. Electronic iggy is ok, but stay away from high tech on a chop!

Mike
    Appreciate the advice. I am a newbie when it comes to choppers.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Appreciate the advice. I am a newbie when it comes to choppers.
    NP. I personally have no use for any of those high $ garage queens, but then again, to each his own. They're pretty, but fuctionally lacking to me. The problem with customs is just that, everything is custom. Very little off the shelf fits. So, unless you're capable of such mods, you're better off with something more stockish, or something with more aftermarket support. THAT is the single biggest draw to most HD riders, the aftermarket support. I can take nearly any HD frame, knowing the year, and buy parts that will fit. Thereby customizing it and making it my own. There may be a few cheaper aftermarket parts or repop parts for the older frames that need minor mods, but for the newer frames, IE 70's and up? By far, it's plug and play. Aftermarket frames, not so much, that's back into the custom fit category again, so buyer beware.

Examples. My 79 FXEF. Didn't like the stock front end, went with an Ultima 41mm +4" with 5 degree trees. Gave it a nice chopper stance, completely plug and play. Didn't like the stock rear fender, installed a stock WG rear instead, plug and play. Changed the front end to a stock HD springer setup, plug and play. The most work was the 5 into 4 trans installation. I had to cut, bend, and reweld the clutch release arm for clearance. Took an extra 30 minutes. Aside from that, plug and play.

Current project. Rigid aftermarket frame. Bought as a complete roller, minus motor. So, just needs motor, wiring, assembled, and gas right? WRONG! Motor went in ok, trans went in ok, that's where it stops. I had to cut both header pipes in half, re-clock and angle, and clearance to fit in the frame. Upper engine mount won't fit. Found the upper frame mount clocked, soooo, had to correct that. Exhaust bracket, cut off, make new one. Fender brackets, no fit with fender, cut off and make new ones. Rear brake caliper mount, don't make one for the big brakes, so have to modify one to work. Make a relocated regulator bracket to work with oil filter install, etc etc, the list goes on. But, I knew this going in, cause it's a custom in an aftermarket frame. Had it been a factory frame, I'd have been done long ago. But, I enjoy it, so that's ok.

Good luck!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
    I have had my F6B for 3yrs now. Awesome ride , but kinda wanting a NEW bike. Went and looked at some new Harley's. Remind me now,, What would I be given up if I got a new Road Guild.
    Shouldn't the question really be "What am I going to gain"?

The simple answer is, if you're buying it to ride, "NOTHING" If you're buying it to be a show dog you'll get the bill!

Look at the new Yamaha Transcontinental Star Venture. Looks sweet.