Extended brake pedal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended brake pedal?

Extended brake pedal?

I really don't like that I can't flat-foot the right foot peg without resting the ball of my foot on the brake pedal. I'd like to add a longer brake pedal so it's not so close to the peg. However, I'm having trouble finding one. There are plenty with a wider brake pedal, but not a longer one.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I really don't like that I can't flat-foot the right foot peg without resting the ball of my foot on the brake pedal. I'd like to add a longer brake pedal so it's not so close to the peg. However, I'm having trouble finding one. There are plenty with a wider brake pedal, but not a longer one.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Jason
    Why don't you simply pull off the brake pedal from it's splined shaft; re-position so it's slightly lower? That's what I did. Works very well.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Another option is the Kuryakyn Mini Floor Boards:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kuryakyn-Bla...NZZC9n&vxp=mtr

Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Why don't you simply pull off the brake pedal from it's splined shaft; re-position so it's slightly lower? That's what I did. Works very well.
    I appreciate that and I'll definitely give that a shot. It seems like I've read somewhere that the splined bit can fall a little inwards if one is not careful. Is there anything to know before loosening the nut? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Another option is the Kuryakyn Mini Floor Boards:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kuryakyn-Bla...NZZC9n&vxp=mtr

Those look nice. I might try them. I'm not sure I want the drop down mounts, as I'm looking to getting a Russell, and I know that the seat will raise me up an inch and a half. But like with most things on a bike, I guess I'll just have to experiment and then sell what doesn't work.

Those look nice. I might try them. I'm not sure I want the drop down mounts, as I'm looking to getting a Russell, and I know that the seat will raise me up an inch and a half. But like with most things on a bike, I guess I'll just have to experiment and then sell what doesn't work.
    They have the regular boards w/o the drop mount, if youre coming to the rally I have an extra one and I'll bring it. Try it out, if it fits take it no charge.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

I appreciate that and I'll definitely give that a shot. It seems like I've read somewhere that the splined bit can fall a little inwards if one is not careful. Is there anything to know before loosening the nut? Thanks again.
    Yes, I posted that observation before... just be careful pushing the brake pedal back on the splined shaft... since the shaft can be pushed inwards and it's a real bitch to get it pushed back out from inside of that lower frame area... so if you are aware that it can happen; you can make sure that it doesn't happen

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    They have the regular boards w/o the drop mount, if youre coming to the rally I have an extra one and I'll bring it. Try it out, if it fits take it no charge.

Wow that's SO nice! Thank you! I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it, but I'll definitely send you a PM ahead of time if I can. Man you meet some nice folks on wings!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Yes, I posted that observation before... just be careful pushing the brake pedal back on the splined shaft... since the shaft can be pushed inwards and it's a real bitch to get it pushed back out from inside of that lower frame area... so if you are aware that it can happen; you can make sure that it doesn't happen
    Thanks again for the heads up. I'll adjust it with the bike on the centerstand and try to keep a hold of it to avoid said trouble.

Jason

Update:

I tried adjusting the brake lever down. No dice. Even one notch puts it at a such a steep angle that you have to depress it very low for engagement. It's weird, with the teeth so close together, I would've thought there would've been much finer adjustment possible.

I guess the next step will be buying a brake pedal cover, to see if I can adjust it down, and then add about half the height of the adjustment back with the brake pedal cover.

Jason