Russell Day Long question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russell Day Long question

Russell Day Long question

I'm seriously considering a Russell, and would love some feedback from those who own one and have it mounted on their F6B. I understand that it's a great seat, but I would love to hear some real comments and maybe actual criticisms if there are any.

Did you feel that the suspension was a bit harsh before the Russell? And if so, did you notice the seat improved the feeling from road harshness?

Also, with it raising you up an inch and a half, did you notice this increasing the wind or turbulence to your helmet? (I realize rider height/windshield will play a role here)

I have no complaints about the B. It is a wonderful machine. Sometimes I feel, though, that the suspension almost accommodates sportier riding better than it does plush riding. I've adjusted the pre load both directions, but it still gives me this impression.

So if you feel the same way and own a Russell, I'd love to hear your thoughts. And btw, any other tidbits you think relevant, like rider position, cornering, seat wear, you name it. Thanks!

Jason

I do not own a Russel Day-Long but I have been researching. Their website states the amount the seat raises you depends on your physical size. If you are not tall, the seat will initially feel higher but will settle back to near stock height when broken in. If you are very tall, the seat height may be increased to improve rider ergonomics.

From the day-long website FAQs:

Q. I’ve heard that a “Day-Long” Saddle is about an inch higher than my stock seat. Is this always true?

A. I have difficulty relating to the question in terms of inches of seat height…. there are just too many variables involved, i.e., are we measuring the surface of the seat while the foam is at rest? or when it’s compressed by the rider’s weight? Are we measuring relative to the ground? If so, is the bike’s suspension compressed by the weight of a normal load? Height measurements taken at different points across the top surface of a “Day-Long” Saddle will normally vary by 1.5 inches or more, at what point are we measuring?, etc.

The real question should not be how high is the seat, rather, “will I be able to reach the ground adequately?” More often than not, especially with a shorter legged rider, ground reach is limited more by the width of the seat than it is by the relative height of the seat. For these reasons, in my opinion, to say one has gained or lost an inch or fraction of an inch in seat height is largely irrelevant.

Because of the design of a “Day-Long” Saddle the rearward part, I call it the “wing” area, of the saddle is quite wide. This is, incidentally, at the very heart of the reason why it can provide so high a degree of riding comfort. The wide “wings” are there to provide outer buttock support so that less body weight will be concentrated toward the center. The forward part of the saddle is made as narrow as the underlying seat pan and motorcycle frame will permit, in other words, about the same width as the stock seat. Because of the ground reach impairment that is imposed by this width factor it is generally unrealistic to expect much if any improvement in ground reach from a “Day-Long” compared to a stock seat.

On the other hand, a rider’s ground reach is usually not degraded by the “Day-Long”, with this one proviso: It may become necessary, especially for a shorter legged rider, to develop the habit of moving his crotch forward on the saddle so as to straddle it at its narrowest point in order to achieve adequate ground reach. In other words, stand up out of the pocket of the saddle when coming to a stop. Settle back into the pocket again once you’re underway.

For sure, we’ve had some extreme cases, riders with very short inseams, and large, heavy thighs, that we’ve bought seats back from. A rider’s attitude and his kind of riding sometimes has a lot to do with it too. Some customer’s have said in effect “I don’t care if I can reach the ground or not, I want to be comfortable when I’m going down the road!” Obviously, it would be more of a problem if you only rode in heavy stop and go traffic than it would if you only rode long highway stretches.

But back to your question, no, this is not always true. Remember, each “Day-Long” Saddle is made to order to fit the particular individual rider or riders. For some long legged riders on lower seated bikes we actually increase the seat height in order to achieve better all around posture.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I'm seriously considering a Russell, and would love some feedback from those who own one and have it mounted on their F6B. I understand that it's a great seat, but I would love to hear some real comments and maybe actual criticisms if there are any.

Did you feel that the suspension was a bit harsh before the Russell? And if so, did you notice the seat improved the feeling from road harshness?

Also, with it raising you up an inch and a half, did you notice this increasing the wind or turbulence to your helmet? (I realize rider height/windshield will play a role here)

I have no complaints about the B. It is a wonderful machine. Sometimes I feel, though, that the suspension almost accommodates sportier riding better than it does plush riding. I've adjusted the pre load both directions, but it still gives me this impression.

So if you feel the same way and own a Russell, I'd love to hear your thoughts. And btw, any other tidbits you think relevant, like rider position, cornering, seat wear, you name it. Thanks!

Jason
    As far as the suspension with and without the Russell the shock when hitting a pothole was definitely noticeable as, I guess, being the hind quarters are spread out over a larger, more contoured area as I find myself not bracing as much when hitting one. As far as wind turbulence I have the Baggershield with the adjustable MRA XCREEN so it wasn't that much of an issue, however, after putting on the Russell I did not have to readjust the XCREEN due to increased wind turbulence.

The riding position is inclined in a "pocket", very comfortable, but you have to get used to the idea when coming to a stop of moving forward to flat foot. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Unless you have circus long legs this will be the only way to do it. I purchased the all vinyl with the rain cover as the stitching is the weak link for water penetration. Even though I only ordered the single, driver seat w/backrest and they did slightly beef up and redesign the passenger seat, very generous move.

The overall experience is after 40 years of riding and owning Mustang, Saddlemen and other after market seats there is nothing that comes close to the comfort, sitting position and overall money spent/satisfaction ratio than this seat. It is the first time I wish I had a larger gas tank so I wouldn't have to stop where with all others, including stock, I couldn't wait to get off and give myself relief and a stretch. It isn't any wonder why the Iron Butt guys swear by them.

I did a short video on mine:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hjcwAXq3Uq8
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Jason........................

My Russell arrives here next Tuesday. I have my stock seat (I sent Russell one I bought off this forum) so I will post photos with measurements with both seats. I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam. I had called Russell several times asking how much the seat might be raised with my measurements. We discussed this the other day when they called for credit card payment. He remembered our conversation and told me that it was probably close to 1/2" to 3/4". As taxfree pointed out and others have mentioned, it is designed for you to slide forward a bit to flatfoot when stopping, then slide back "into" the pocket at takeoff. We'll see about this next week. With the wings being higher than the butt pocket, it might be a bit off for an accurate reading on how much the seat is raised up over stock but I have a solution for that in my old feeble brain. I went with all leather, solo seat reworked, backrest, and seat cover.....$1287.00 shipped to Dallas. Seeing that I don't have a back-up butt sitting on a shelf in the garage, I rolled the dice on the Russell, and as taxfree mentioned, so do quite a lot of the Iron Butt pilots. Check out Jehu's pics of his trip to Alaska on his F6BX....his rump was on a Russell, and the roads up there don't remind me of Interstate 40 for some reason. I had a Hartco on my 2004 Wing and it was great compared to the stock seat which Honda still puts on the current Wings. As the old saying goes....You should not scrimp on 2 things....your work boots and a bed, because when your not in your boots, you're in your bed. Riding for over 40 years, it's now 3 things that you shouldn't scrimp on, IMO. I've had the Hartco, Sargents, Ez Berg, Mustangs, Saddlemens, a solo seat off a police Harley,etc. Next week, I'll add a Russell to the mix. Photos are one thing, a happy ass is another. I'll post photos as quickly as possible for your viewing entertainment next week hoping to aid you in your decision. If it arrives Tuesday, pics should be up that night if it's not raining cats and dogs.

I have 2 RDL's, not on my "B" yet. Both are great saddles. Best money I've spent for comfort. In the saddle for 9 hours on my V-Strom, my butt & back were smiling when I got off, no aches or pains. I do not notice any difference in height on either of my 2 saddles. If you need height, I'm sure they can do that. It does take 500 to 700 miles for the foam to fit "your butt" after that, your butt will be smiling. Height b-4 the break in might be the "extra height" folks are talking about.
    It's a small operation, one seat at a time. I suggest you call RDL with your questions, they're great to deal with. The seat is built just for your butt & your passenger. Best $$ you'll spend on comfort.

RDL

I have the RDL seat and Madstad windshield along with Baker handwings. This combination allows complete control of airflow, as much or little as you want. the seat is taller, but I find it easier to flat foot at stops than with the stocker. As far as comfort goes, I have several 1k+ mile days with never a thought about the seat.
    By far the best mod I've ever had on any bike.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

I have had 4 Russell seats and everyone was a huge improvement. I can do 1000 miles days back to back on the "B" with comfort.

You can also request a "Sport Seat" from Russell that will not raise you at all. I had one on a Suzuki B-King and it was as comfortable as any other Russell I had: ST1300, K1200GT, F6B and B-King.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I have had 4 Russell seats and everyone was a huge improvement. I can do 1000 miles days back to back on the "B" with comfort.

You can also request a "Sport Seat" from Russell that will not raise you at all. I had one on a Suzuki B-King and it was as comfortable as any other Russell I had: ST1300, K1200GT, F6B and B-King.
    All good info from everyone and I appreciate it!

4 RDL's is quite an endorsement. Would you recommend adjusting the bars and pegs before the Russell, to get the rider position pics accurate? Or would it be better after the seat, to see what is needed..

Jason..........

As mentioned, my seat arrives Tuesday. If you're close to Dallas, or even if not, you're welcome to drop by and check my seat out vs. the stock seat for measurements. If you're in El Paso, it's ONLY a 1300 mile round trip. That's only a $1 a mile if you buy the full monty from Russell. Come check it out.

HELI BARS & RDL is the best money you can spend on your "B"
    Windshield, don't know. Ask 10 people gets 10 different answers. I like my Klock Works.