Dunlop Elite 4 durability - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Elite 4 durability

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Got 18,000 out of my OEM stones, and then another 18,000 out their OEM Stone replacements.

The key is keeping the tire pressures where they need to be.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I'm pretty religious about my tire pressure and the best I did on three sets of Bridgestones was 9500 miles.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I just completed a 2500 mile trip in 4 days, combination of both highway and twisties, we weren't hanging around and the rear elite 4 didn't miss a beat and doesn't look that worn, I'm currently running an elite 3 on the front, which I'll be replacing shortly for the elite 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey1 View Post
    I just found out that my stock tire is about shot after 6,900 miles. After reading through this thread it seems like the Dunlap Elite 4 is a good combination of tread life and traction.

I need to pull the trigger on a tire soon because of a up coming trip, is this Dunlap the preferred sneaker for the the goldWings?
    Preferred? Hmm. Ask 10 GW riders what's the best tire and you'll get 13 answers...

I've only had the 'Stones and the E4s.
    I like them both.
    I like the Stones better in rain and puddles.
    I like the E4s better for hot tarmac and tar snakes.
    The E4 dual compound should last longer for people who ride straight a lot.

To some? It depends which marque is on sale.
    Either way you cannot go wrong.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Either way you cannot go wrong.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Thanks for the input everyone. I placed an order today for new front and rear Elite 4's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey1 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I placed an order today for new front and rear Elite 4's.
    You will be quite happy with the E-4's I am sure...Tire questions, oil opinions, seat choices, windshield options, all open a huge "can of worms" and everyone has their own ideas and thoughts...Do what your inspired to do and all will be well...Ride safe...

So some have wanted to know about durability. Well Just right at about 9k mikes on this rear. I was changing the oil and thought I should look at my reat tire. Man this just sort of snuck up on me. I was getting ready to head out early in the morning on a spur of the moment trip to TN. Now I'll be heading into my Honda Dealer to see if Ray can get me real quick. Notice I didn't get any better mileage from this rear than I got from the Bridgestones, but it did wear more on the sides than the center.

Yup, that tire is finished. I'm due for new tires, again this summer, and read all the reviews of the E-4s on Dennis Kirk cycle parts. Some were okay, but many had comments that I didn't care for. Probably will stick with the Stones. Any NEW front tire will handle tar snakes better than the worn out tire that is being replaced. Well, I'm sure the E4 is a good alternative to the Stone, probably can't go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So some have wanted to know about durability. Well Just right at about 9k mikes on this rear. I was changing the oil and thought I should look at my reat tire. Man this just sort of snuck up on me. I was getting ready to head out early in the morning on a spur of the moment trip to TN. Now I'll be heading into my Honda Dealer to see if Ray can get me real quick. Notice I didn't get any better mileage from this rear than I got from the Bridgestones, but it did wear more on the sides than the center.

Jimmy you guys a tough, guess I ride too much like the old man I am.
    Besides checking your air check your tI respect too brother.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Yup, that tire is finished. I'm due for new tires, again this summer, and read all the reviews of the E-4s on Dennis Kirk cycle parts. Some were okay, but many had comments that I didn't care for. Probably will stick with the Stones. Any NEW front tire will handle tar snakes better than the worn out tire that is being replaced. Well, I'm sure the E4 is a good alternative to the Stone, probably can't go wrong with either.
    You know even though the mileage wasn't really different, the E4s did wear better.
    I'll also add that this, I put another Elite 4 on the rear yesterday. The front still looks good. My first 3 tire changes with the Bridgestones resulted in both front and rear being replaced. The Bridgestone front tire would have a little more meat,not much, but would also have a fair amount of cupping. So it always got replaced with the rear. I have always bent pretty diligent about my air pressure. I am curious how the wear pattern might have been affected now with my new suspension These tires only saw a couple thousand or so miles with the new suspension.

Op. Ed. to JimmyT's post....

This rear E4 has 19,000 miles.
    Unfortunately, lots of highway....not enough twisties.
    41 psi cold - always.
    Wearing VERY well.
    Wish I lived closer to the mountains....

Cheers,
    Steve

My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce