Madstad for F6B - Page 34
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    If that is the cause then it would make sense why some seem to have the whistle worse than others, Manufacturing Variation. I checked the edges of my shield and they are fairly smooth all around. Did Madstad happen to mention what method & material they use to round the edges (a very fine emery cloth perhaps)?

Thanks for that input.
    They heat the edges with a small gas torch.
    2014 F6B Deluxe - Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I didn't feel there was any cop out by them. Their sugestion was to help me find the whistle. Actually the edges have a nice bevel so I don't know why it even helped. BUT IT DID.. I told him I would give it a shot and call back tomorrow.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my Madstad and I think they make a functionally sound product. My comment about a "cop out" is not in response to their suggestion that you try and tape over it to firgue it out, it is in regards to the fact that it would seem they are aware it is an issue and yet they don't fix it on their end. If you read earlier posts in this thread you will see situations of them sending the wrong things, holes that were mis-drilled, etc. It just begs the question to me of "why?", when you make a great product why would you not make sure your quality control is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like my Madstad and I think they make a functionally sound product. My comment about a "cop out" is not in response to their suggestion that you try and tape over it to firgue it out, it is in regards to the fact that it would seem they are aware it is an issue and yet they don't fix it on their end. If you read earlier posts in this thread you will see situations of them sending the wrong things, holes that were mis-drilled, etc. It just begs the question to me of "why?", when you make a great product why would you not make sure your quality control is perfect.

I hear ya now,, I did some searching and found that all the makes, Road Glide, Victory, Concourse and more all have the whistle problem. I didn't realize it was so wide spread. Maybe they need to check the forums or google themselves from time to time.
    I have not spoke to them yet, I left a message and are still waiting their call back.

I'm not aware of Madstad sending out wrong or misfitting products recently. All the stories I've seen were when the shield first came out, and having a few hiccups is normal in the beginning.

I just installed a large size Clearview shield to try it out, and although it works, the 11inch Madstad is clearly a better performer in terms of kicking the wind over your head and minimizing buffeting.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Well I put a call in to Madstad and was advised that sometimes the shield edge is cut sharp and the edge is not rounded enough.
    Soo I pulled out a roll of electrical tape and ran across the leading edge and went for a ride. Sure enough NO WHISTLE.
    I did reach up over the shield and remove the tape at about 50 mph (not advisable) but wasn't able to pull it off slowly to see when the whistle would come back. So if you have a whistle this test may be worth a try for you...
    Nice work! This will be valuable to many...

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    With the shield all the way down I do get some wind which is nice on Hot Days doing 50-60 mph. For interstate riding I usually run the shield adjusted about 1 inch up from what is shown in the photo (still very low but max wind protection). Wind goes all the way over the Head at 6'-2" tall.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that if you happen to get the 2" shorter Base Shield then the bottom of the Outer Shield will be 2" lower compared to what is seem on my bike. To me that does not make much sense (who wants to have the bottom of the shield that low) and limits how high the shield can be adjusted.

Taller Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 11" to 14" above the base of the faring gasket.

Shorter Base Shield with 11" Outer Shield, the top of the Outer Shield can be adjusted from 9" to 12" above the base of the faring gasket.

In my opinion the taller Base Shield provides more usable vertical adjustment. Madstad will try to talk you into the shorter Base Shield so decide what works for you and order accordingly.
    I know this is reopening a very old thread, but I'm unclear what base shield Madstad finally settled on for the 11" top shield. The OP makes a strong case for the taller base, but it seems Madstad leans towards the shorter. What is the final resolve? Ultimately, short base with short top would seem to have very little adjustment.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    I know this is reopening a very old thread, but I'm unclear what base shield Madstad finally settled on for the 11" top shield. The OP makes a strong case for the taller base, but it seems Madstad leans towards the shorter. What is the final resolve? Ultimately, short base with short top would seem to have very little adjustment.
    The very first F6B Madstads were shipping with a base that was about 2" shorter than the GL1800 Madstads. They changed it to be 1" shorter than the Gl1800 version and that is where it remains, and it is not dependent on top shield size, they all use the same base.

Hi,

I came across this thread after posting this in the "windshield, aesthetics vs function" thread. I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I'm a new F6B owner and stand at 5'8" and purchased the Klock Werks 14" Smoked Flare Windshield about 6 weeks ago and thought I was couldn't ask for more with its performance after running it for 500mi straight. That was until I jumped back on my '07 H-D Softail this week without a windshield. I realized the wind was hitting my face steadily & smoothly on the H-D, whereas while riding the F6B with the KW windshield wearing my 1/2 helmet I had terrible buffeting right at ear level (with ear plugs) which also was hitting my head from behind and actually forcing my strapped glasses away from my face at 60-65mph causing my eyes to irritate afterwards, and forget about wearing my 3/4 helmet (with ear plugs as well) which was like having my head in a paint mixer…literally!!!

I've decided to ditch the KW and try the MadStad 11" Extra Dark Smoked Windshield , which I ordered last night after reading the positive impressions about it on this thread. Has anyone had experience with owning both the KW 11" & MadStad 11" that could possibly share their experiences between both?

Thank you,
    Joe

Standardized f6b Mad Stad??

I've read comments from 2013 on up for these windshields. Sounds like they finally got their product standardized for the f6b so I am still a little unclear as to what I would be getting and how tall of a shield I would need. I'm 6'3, 34 in inseam and currently have a 19 inch Slip Streamer on mine. I look over it a few inches but would prefer to have it even lower. I still get some buffeting at the top of my helmet and my passenger gets hit too. Website shows 11, 13, 15, and 17 inch. That would put me at a 17 inch, but I've read some posts in the past of people that have 13 inch and my same height that works fine. Any updates?
    RIDER HEIGHT

SHIELD SIZE

5'4" to 5'7" (163 - 170 cm) 11" (280 mm)
    5'8" to 5'11" (173 - 180 cm) 13" (330 mm)
    6'0" to 6'2" (183 - 188 cm) 15" (380 mm)
    6'3" and taller (190+ cm) 17" (430 mm)

I'm 6'1" 34 inseam. I have the 13" light tint. I ride with it all the way down all the time and just look over the top. Only thing I change is the angle for more or less airflow.

I'm 6ft /34 inseam on stock seat and found the 13 inch medium tint too distracting vision wise for me but it did give amazing protection. Always seemed to be in my line of vision or too dark for certain conditions. Bought a 11 clear replacement shield and its perfect.
    2013 F6B in black of course