Just logged over 1000 miles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just logged over 1000 miles

Just logged over 1000 miles

Left the house in southern Indiana at 5:15am eastern time...arrived in Burlington Connecticut a little before 10 pm. I dont remember the exact mileage, but it was a little over 1k mark.

I plan on making a loop through the new England states on thursday...and hopefully the USS Constitution in Boston, then friday go to NYC and check out a few sights before aiming the bike back toward the house.
    2015 matte silver F6B

Good God!

You did that in one day?!?! Anything over 200 miles and I am toast. Especially my .

I can't log the miles enjoyably the many others seems to be able to. I rode 170 miles through the Finger Lakes yesterday, with multiple stops including a 30 minute lunch break. I was ready to be home.

I wonder if I was given an overdose of Nassatol when I was younger. I will have to check into this.

Anyway, I am glad that you arrived safely.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Impressive!

That's very impressive, especially since I assume the speed limits in those eastern states aren't as high as they are here in the west. I rode 2,000 miles through Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana in 5 days last week, but was greatly helped by the 80 MPH limit on most of the interstates. Even the mountain road below (Beartooth Pass in Montana) was posted at 70! With very little traffic and great pavement I had an incredible ride.

I can't imagine a better bike than a GL1800 for logging these kind of distances. Back in the late 70s I rode 900 miles over a single night (with the 55 MPH national speed limit!) on my Kawasaki KZ-900. Even with a Vetter fairing that trip took a lot out of me.

You have a nice day today up here....tomorrow not so much. Happy travels. If it wasn't for work, I'd meet up someplace. If you come through Somerset, MA., my bike is out front of the shop.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Good God!

You did that in one day?!?! Anything over 200 miles and I am toast. Especially my .

I can't log the miles enjoyably the many others seems to be able to. I rode 170 miles through the Finger Lakes yesterday, with multiple stops including a 30 minute lunch break. I was ready to be home.

I wonder if I was given an overdose of Nassatol when I was younger. I will have to check into this.

Anyway, I am glad that you arrived safely.
    Me to at this stage of life(almost 78)...I did 300 miles in Northern Michigan last Saturday and was literally "whipped" when I got home and that trip included a lunch stop and 4 rest stops...But I enjoyed the day and the bike ran great as usual ...Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Dweisman429 View Post
    Left the house in southern Indiana at 5:15am eastern time...arrived in Burlington Connecticut a little before 10 pm. I dont remember the exact mileage, but it was a little over 1k mark.

I plan on making a loop through the new England states on thursday...and hopefully the USS Constitution in Boston, then friday go to NYC and check out a few sights before aiming the bike back toward the house.
    That is a long day. The longest day for me so far on the B is 750, and that was enough. I still have the stock seat tho. Have not made up my mind if I want to fork over the $. Have a safe trip!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    That's very impressive, especially since I assume the speed limits in those eastern states aren't as high as they are here in the west. I rode 2,000 miles through Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana in 5 days last week, but was greatly helped by the 80 MPH limit on most of the interstates. Even the mountain road below (Beartooth Pass in Montana) was posted at 70! With very little traffic and great pavement I had an incredible ride.

I can't imagine a better bike than a GL1800 for logging these kind of distances. Back in the late 70s I rode 900 miles over a single night (with the 55 MPH national speed limit!) on my Kawasaki KZ-900. Even with a Vetter fairing that trip took a lot out of me.
    Amen to that! My friend and I have recently started a tradition of doing an Iron Butt ride every May. Last year was the 50CC and this year was the Border to Border. It is a great way to get somewhere fast and experience the many different climates and terrain of the US in a relatively short period of time. For me, a motorcycle trip is more about the riding and less about sightseeing...but we do build in multiple days to hit the fun roads, eat great meals, and have time to see the "can't miss" sights after the Iron Butt challenge is met. After the 50CC I loved to ride Shenandoah NP, BRP, Dragon, Cherohala, etc in that neck of the woods. This year after the border to border we enjoyed the Washington, Oregon, and N. California coasts. I haven't experienced long distances on any other bike, but I too can't imagine anything being better equipped for it than my former Wing and current F6B. I can honestly say I don't tire of 12 hour days, but I think the fact that we stick to State roads instead of Interstate helps in keeping things interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah...yeasterday was all riding except for a 1 hour stop at the Iron Pony store near columbus ohio...very cool place.

I put just over 500 miles on today...made a big circle through Rhode Island, then to Boston, up to Maine, then N.H. and Vermont before rolling back into CT.

I have to wait and see what this weather is bringing for Friday to decide when I am going to return home, but I am really thinking about dropping through NYC first.

And speed limits...most of the time through Ohio and Pennsylvania speed limit was 70 so I usually ran about 78. And I was usually the fastest one. New England states on the other hand...EVERYBODY is at least 10mph over...at least. There has been alot of 70 and 75 in 55mph zones and I was just trying to keep up

But now my tail is getting a bit uncomfortable sitting on the bike. I hate to say it but Im almost looking forward to drive my jeep or truck for a few days after I make it back home.
    2015 matte silver F6B

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Me to at this stage of life(almost 78)...I did 300 miles in Northern Michigan last Saturday and was literally "whipped" when I got home and that trip included a lunch stop and 4 rest stops...But I enjoyed the day and the bike ran great as usual ...Ride safe
    Yeah, well I am half your age and I have never enjoyed rides that exceed 150 miles, even with some stops built in. Obviously, it is me. The first 50-60 miles are great. Comfortable and relaxing. I take a break, get gas, drink some water. Then I am good for 30-40, need another break to continue the enjoyment. Throw in a lunch break and I am good for another 50-60 miles, then I have to stop every 30-40 miles or 45-60 minutes. My ass is sore and I feel like I need to move. Standing up and straddling the bike at stop lights/signs seems to buy me a few minutes of comfort after I get going again.

Perhaps my gear is an issue. My Schuberth helmet is hot at any temps above 75, and my armor jacket is black and only partially mesh. I am pretty warm while riding, even at highway speeds. I also wear a hi-viz zip up vest, which is mesh, but it still reduces airflow.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post

Beartooth Pass is high on my bucket list!